Bleeding Surge Brakes

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer
Who has successfully bled surge brakes?

I have just replaced the master cylinder and coupling on my Trailstar trailer (TieDown engineering parts)
(Yes Incoop, it has taken me that long to get round to it)!:embarassed:

Just would like to know the best process as I've never bled brakes without a brake pedal!

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Bleeding Surge Brakes

Who has successfully bled surge brakes?

. . .

Just would like to know the best process as I've never bled brakes without a brake pedal!

I have, I have . . . You sort of have to use the emergency lever on the coupler to pump the master cylinder. As I recall, I slipped a piece of pipe over the lever to get 'leverage'.

BTW - I hope the repaired boat is working out . . from your other thread, it sounds like the shop made good on their mishap.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

I have, I have . . . You sort of have to use the emergency lever on the coupler to pump the master cylinder. As I recall, I slipped a piece of pipe over the lever to get 'leverage'.

BTW - I hope the repaired boat is working out . . from your other thread, it sounds like the shop made good on their mishap.

Thanks my friend but what is the emergency lever? Don't have one.....
I do have a hole in the tongue that I can force the coupling back and forth, is that enough?

The boat is great thanks and almost back to her former glory.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My trailer "Rocker" type receiver, if that makes sense. I drilled a whole in a 2x4 and mounted the ball in it (near the end). You also have to nail a of wood near the ball to catch the lip of the receiver. Then have someone push down on the 2x4 while you bleed the brakes. If you have telescopic type trailer brakes, I'm sure you can rig up something similar, blocking the trailer well.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have a look at these.....enough video to make your head hurt! :D

YouTube

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Hey, better late than never.:cool: Should be able to put the end of a long screwdriver in the hole and actuate the plunger to your heart's content. There are vacuum bleeders to make it a one person job, but I've always used the buddy and a brew method. Put a wrench on the bleed valve, tell your buddy to actuate the plunger, then open the valve and catch the fluid in a clear bottle. Keep it up until there are no more bubbles. Lather, rinse and repeat.;)

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

Hey, better late than never.:cool: Should be able to put the end of a long screwdriver in the hole and actuate the plunger to your heart's content. There are vacuum bleeders to make it a one person job, but I've always used the buddy and a brew method. Put a wrench on the bleed valve, tell your buddy to actuate the plunger, then open the valve and catch the fluid in a clear bottle. Keep it up until there are no more bubbles. Lather, rinse and repeat.;)

Nice one my friend. Something I've never seen, I have 2 bleed nipples on each calliper.
What's the process/sequence for bleeding there.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Google "brake bleeder". I built mine with a pump sprayer for 20.00. Infinitely easier than prying on the master, takes me 10 minutes by myself to bleed mine.

caverdan

Recruit

Nice one my friend. Something I've never seen, I have 2 bleed nipples on each calliper.
What's the process/sequence for bleeding there.

Air rises to the top of fluid so open which ever bleeder is at the highest point or top of the caliper.