Anyone replace safety cable with chains?

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer
My safety cables on my Trailstar trailer look like they couldn't hold up a pair of pants let alone by boat :eek:

I want to replace them with good old fashioned reliable chains.

What advice can you give for type of chain to use but more importantly, how to secure them to the tongue, weld or bolt?

I'd appreciate any advice my friends

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Anyone replace safety cable with chains?

My safety cables on my Trailstar trailer look like they couldn't hold up a pair of pants let alone by boat :eek:

I want to replace them with good old fashioned reliable chains.

What advice can you give for type of chain to use but more importantly, how to secure them to the tongue, weld or bolt?

I'd appreciate any advice my friends

Ayuh,.... Ya can't go wrong, Boltin' on a set of 5/16" chains....

Through bolted is easier, 'n probably safer, or atleast as safe as weldin'...

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I have never had any thing new enough to have cables.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

I removed my cables in favor of something like these...

Seasense Trailer Safety Chain - iboats

I'm a little confused by the description of the class 2 and 3 chains: they come in pairs with an S hook on each chain. We are talking about the chain or cable that goes to the bow eye as backup for the winch strap, aren't we? I've never seen more than one chain used.

Now, where the trailer hitch is coupled, sure, that always has two chains. But I'm interested in upgrading the cable my trailer currently has (I'm convinced is grossly inadequate as every other part of this trailer has required upgrading to whip it into good shape) that backs up my winch strap. How would you use two chains there? And how would you mount the end of the chain without the S hook to the trailer? My present setup is a length of steel cable with a loop in each end. The cable wraps around the trailer frame right in front of the winch post and then passes through its own loop. The other end has a S hook. Obviously, I can't just copy what I have with heavier components.

Bondo

Staff member

I'm a little confused by the description of the class 2 and 3 chains: they come in pairs with an S hook on each chain. We are talking about the chain or cable that goes to the bow eye as backup for the winch strap, aren't we? I've never seen more than one chain used.

Now, where the trailer hitch is coupled, sure, that always has two chains. But I'm interested in upgrading the cable my trailer currently has (I'm convinced is grossly inadequate as every other part of this trailer has required upgrading to whip it into good shape) that backs up my winch strap. How would you use two chains there? And how would you mount the end of the chain without the S hook to the trailer? My present setup is a length of steel cable with a loop in each end. The cable wraps around the trailer frame right in front of the winch post and then passes through its own loop. The other end has a S hook. Obviously, I can't just copy what I have with heavier components.

Ayuh,.... The rest of Us are talkin' 'bout hitch safety chains...

Time for another thread Jay,...

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

My bad. Sorry.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

but YES jay, replace THAT with a (single) chain as well.

cyclops2

Banned

If they cause suspicion. You know it is time to replace..........I do not trust a weld job as much as chains bolted with Stainless Steel LOCKING nuts & bolts. We old guys 75 & older have put safety hooks on the end of the chains. Just because they look safer. No other reason.

mohead1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get a rated chain with a snap hook already installed, or use a small shackle to put one on the chain.....drill a hole near the winch mount, bolt on chain testing the length to the boat eye, allowing enough slack to get the snap hook off, and WA-LAA.....youre done. Use a good bolt, grade 5 or better to ensure it has the shear strength greater than the boat weight

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Mohead: I hope you know that it is really spelled "Et Voila" and pronounced A Walaa. The A or EH, meaning and, is usually slurred or left off. French--literal translation: "And there it is or just, there it is!" WA-LAA Is easier to write though. LOL

Personally, I prefer Ta-DAA

rbh

Fleet Admiral

+1, please use load rated hook with a spring loaded gate latch.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

It is better to use two bolts, one on either side of the tongue and then cross the chains when attaching to tow vehicle. The reason is simple geometry: Crossing them forms an X. The X crosses under and somewhere near the ball pivot point. When the vehicles turn, neither chain will be pulled tight. This allows you to use shorter chains for better safety if the trailer becomes disconnected from the hitch ball.

mohead1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LMAO.....ok, ok.....BADA BING, BADA BOOM.....and I did not know the french thing with Wa Laa......being just an old redneck, i dont know much about all that....:p

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

It is better to use two bolts, one on either side of the tongue and then cross the chains when attaching to tow vehicle. The reason is simple geometry: Crossing them forms an X. The X crosses under and somewhere near the ball pivot point. When the vehicles turn, neither chain will be pulled tight. This allows you to use shorter chains for better safety if the trailer becomes disconnected from the hitch ball.
In addition, having the chains in a X can help keep the trailer hitch from hitting the pavement in the event the trailer disconnects from the tow vehicle. It forms a cradle that catches the trailer tongue...with any luck...

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys for all your advice. I'll be buying the chains and bolts this week and attempting to drill the tounge myself. Wish me luck!
By the way, the locals here say Khalas! (Done)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Hey, Mohead---nothing against rednecks. I've known a couple of "Good ol Boys" and they ARE Good ol Boys.

Country is just different than city.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Jag f?rst?r inte franska Frank Acampora. LOL