power winch cable replacement

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
I have to replace my cable on my powerwinch (brand). it attaches by inserting the end through a hole in the spindle, then crimping a copper sleeve that fits back in the hole.

The powerwinch replacement cables are way overpriced, so I'd rather buy a generic. But I wouldn't know how to go about finding the copper sleeve fitting. Any ideas?

I never unwind all the way, or even close, so I dont see it as all that necessary in the first place; even a couple of wraps is all you need I reckon. Thouhgts?

Thanks!

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: power winch cable replacement

Lowes or Homer Depot in the chain and rope dept. for your swage sleeve. You'll need a pair of swaging pliers or red-neck method of swaging the sleeve.

For our lighter Stumpnocker and jet skis I simply slide on a short length of copper tube and soft solder to the cable....hasn't failed me in years.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Many years ago I bought a generic cable at a discount marine store. It WAS marketed as a marine cable. It broke the first time I used it - the crimped connector at the eye hook came off. No returns, no warranty. BTW this was on a litttle tinny with a roller trailer - hardly any force required.

My Powerwinch (brand) cable is 28 years old and doesn't even show one single frayed spot yet.

I'm happy to pay the extra for the brand name cable.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!!

A snapped cable can kill someone in an INSTANT!

This is NOT someplace where you save a $$$ or two.