Titan Actuator Model 60 Solonoid Question Disk Brakes

w2much

Lieutenant
Are the solonoids on these actuators prone to clog. Been having trouble with my brakes (calipers) sticking , not releasing properly. The slide pins are clean and well greased but the brakes always seem to drag. Also I have found rust in my master cylinder. My thought is that the solonoid clogs therefore pressure is not released causing the sticking issue.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Titan Actuator Model 60 Solenoid Question Disk Brakes

... I have found rust in my master cylinder...

Well, There's your Problem! :rolleyes:

The innards of the brake system should be surgically clean! :eek:
It is time to Remove and Clean or Replace everything! :D

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Well, There's your Problem! :rolleyes:

The innards of the brake system should be surgically clean! :eek:
It is time to Remove and Clean or Replace everything! :D

Plus one. If there's rust in the master your problems go beyond a clogged solenoid. Time for some disassembly, flushing and replacement.

w2much

Lieutenant

Would it be acceptable to clean out the master cylinder, and the brake lines as well as the solonoid then replace the calipers?

UncleWillie

Captain

Would it be acceptable to clean out the master cylinder, and the brake lines as well as the solenoid then replace the calipers?

If you can clean out everything, there is no need to replace anything.
If it can't be cleaned it need to be replaced. Your Call.

??? Why is there Rust in the Master Cylinder?
Don't just treat the symptoms; find the cause!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I guess it depends on how long the rust has been there, whether/how often it's been towed in that condition, and how much the components have deteriorated. However, my guess is that if there's rust in the MC reservoir it's time for a new MC, and you'll almost surely need new wheel cylinders. Those are not very expensive parts, and you'll likely save yourself some aggravation if you just go ahead and replace them. Been there done that.:facepalm:

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: Titan Actuator Model 60 Solonoid Question Disk Brakes

I guess it depends on how long the rust has been there, whether/how often it's been towed in that condition, and how much the components have deteriorated. However, my guess is that if there's rust in the MC reservoir it's time for a new MC, and you'll almost surely need new wheel cylinders. Those are not very expensive parts, and you'll likely save yourself some aggravation if you just go ahead and replace them. Been there done that.:facepalm:

Rust is the kiss of death for the entire system usually. Master cylinders are almost impossible to clean if they're cast iron (which yours is). Your disc brake calipers may be salvageable but will probably need new seals. Pull one off and if the pistons and bores are rust free you'll be OK. I'd change the master for sure and new lines are cheap and easy to run. Should the calipers wind up being toast, replace with Kodiaks. But the lesson here is any amount of rust in the system rapidly leads to more rust and failure.

w2much

Lieutenant

Thanks for all of the replies. I guess I am going to start with replacing the actuater. A master cylinder is about 80.00 then the solonoid another 35. or so. The complete actuator with solonoid runs about 160.The brake lines will be replaced and the calipers (Kodiaks) rebuilt in time. For the short term I will have no brakes on my trailer.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Thanks for all of the replies. I guess I am going to start with replacing the actuater. A master cylinder is about 80.00 then the solonoid another 35. or so. The complete actuator with solonoid runs about 160.The brake lines will be replaced and the calipers (Kodiaks) rebuilt in time. For the short term I will have no brakes on my trailer.

Not sure where you're shopping, but FWIW at Etrailer the master is $51.95 and the solenoid is 20.95. Considerably less than an actuator.

w2much

Lieutenant

Thank you. I will look at and consider that. Beats 150-200.. I hope the replacement master cylinder is a composite material not cast iron as was the original.

Last edited:

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Thank you. I will look at and consider that. Beats 150-200.. I hope the replacement master cylinder is a composite material not cast iron as was the original.

No change that I'm aware of. I just noticed you're in Cali. Iboats doesn't have what you need or I wouldn't suggest someone else, but there's an outstanding supplier out your way called trailerandtruckparts.com. I'd post the link but I don't think it would work. I've ordered some things from them and found them to have reasonable prices and extremely helpful people. Unless you think you're really going to need a new actuator I'd suggest going ahead and ordering parts and getting your brakes squared away. I suspect it won't require as much money or time as you fear. Good luck with whatever you decide.