Tail Lights No Worky

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2010 Triton Scissor Lift Trailer. I have a 2007 Chrysler Pacifica. All lights work, but not the running lights or the tail lights and I can't figure this puppy out.

This is what I know and what has been done:

1 - I replaced the 4 pin connector on the car.

2 - Pins on the trailer connector are clean and free of debris.

3 - There does not appear to be any fuses on the car or on the tailer.

4 - I assume I have a good ground since some lights do work.

5 - The car has a wire harness kit that is two years old. It is a y-harness with a black box. I have checked all connections to the tail lights. All seems fine.

6 - When I plugged my car into another trailer, it did the same thing indicating to me that the problem is not the trailer, but teh car.

7 - I bought a 4 pin connector with the LEDs. When I plug it in, the tail light, light comes on. In fact, it is on no matter if the tail lights are on or off. Even with the tail lights on the car off and the car not running, the indicator still lights red. Makes no sense. The other indicators flash appropriately.

My only option at this point is to try hooking up my Jeep to the trailer and see what happens. And/or replacing the $120 wiring kit on the Pacifica.

Anyone have any thoughts?

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Tail Lights No Worky

Reference:
White = Ground
Brown = Tail/Marker
Yellow = Left Brake/Turn
Green = Right Brake/Turn

You have a problem with the Brown circuit in the Car.
Trace out the Brown wires on both sides of the Black Box. ( A.K.A. 3 Wire Converter.) Yes, I know it has 4 wires!
White to Brown should measure 12 volts with the Tail Lights ON, and Zero with them OFF.
The Brown wire does not do anything in the Converter except pass through it for neatness.

WaterDR

Thanks. I knew the colors, but did not know that the brown wire just passes through the the black box. I have a tester (just the simple bulb type), but it won't work at all. I may have a voltage tester laying around.

I will have to take it apart tomorrow when I can see and give it another look. If what you say is true, I should be able to find the break somewhere.

Also, the tester, as I mentioned, is acting strangly. Again, I am using a 4 pin tester. When I plug it into my Jeep, the tester shows the harness is working perfectly.

UncleWillie

Captain

7 - I bought a 4 pin connector with the LEDs. When I plug it in, the tail light, light comes on. In fact, it is on no matter if the tail lights are on or off. Even with the tail lights on the car off and the car not running, the indicator still lights red. Makes no sense. The other indicators flash appropriately...

... I have a tester (just the simple bulb type), but it won't work at all. I may have a voltage tester laying around...Also, the tester, as I mentioned, is acting strangely. Again, I am using a 4 pin tester. When I plug it into my Jeep, the tester shows the harness is working perfectly.

OK. I am confused. "Acting Strange" and "Working Perfectly" in the same statement??? :confused:

The bulb tester should be fine.
If it lights when placed across the battery, it is a good tester! :)

On the car; White to Brown should light the tester with the Tail lights ON.
If that works; plugging in the trailer should light the trailer Tail/Marker lights.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

Re-check for a fuse panel under the hood. I had issues with my trailer lights hooked up to my Jeep and after going through the trailer wiring, lights, and replacing bulbs, I discovered a fuse box under the hood with blown fuses for the trailer hookup.

WaterDR

Re-check for a fuse panel under the hood. I had issues with my trailer lights hooked up to my Jeep and after going through the trailer wiring, lights, and replacing bulbs, I discovered a fuse box under the hood with blown fuses for the trailer hookup.

There are no fuses. This is an after-market kit installed on an otherwise stock vehicle. The issue is with the Pacifica and not the Jeep. Both have hitches.

WaterDR

OK. I am confused. "Acting Strange" and "Working Perfectly" in the same statement??? :confused:

The bulb tester should be fine.
If it lights when placed across the battery, it is a good tester! :)

On the car; White to Brown should light the tester with the Tail lights ON.
If that works; plugging in the trailer should light the trailer Tail/Marker lights.

Yes, on my Jeep Wrangler, the tester shows that the wire harness is perfect. On my Pacifca, the tester is showing strange results. The trailer light on the tester glows continuously once plugged in regardless if the headlights are turned on or off on the Pacifica. The only way this could happen is if there is voltage leaking through on the brown wire. Or, feedback for some reason.

I contacted the manufacture of the the wire harness and they told me the control box was shot.

Uncle Willie above mentioned that the brown wire passes right through the control box. SO, I jumped the brown wire acoss the brown box, and now all the lights are working as they should. While this still does not seem correct because it does not explain why the voltage is leaking, it now seems to be working. Uncle Willie seems to have saved me $80 to $125, so THANK YOU.

I may just cut the wire going into the box now that it is jumped anyway,

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are no fuses. This is an after-market kit installed on an otherwise stock vehicle. The issue is with the Pacifica and not the Jeep. Both have hitches.

I know the issue is not with his Jeep. I was commenting on what I found with my vehicle which happens to be a Jeep.