Big Cruisers - Roller or Bunk?

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class
The boat we're looking at is about 30' long, 8,500+ lbs, salt water (with a tiny bit of fresh) and the ramp is a little steep. Tidal changes are about 4' which on a steep ramp means getting into the ramp slime. I wanted a roller trailer, but it's $1K more than a bunk - not the end of the world, but if I don't have I'd rather not spend it.

I've spent some time watching the ramp and it seems that 21-24' boats/bunks are putting the trucks rear tires from 1-3' from the water. Almost no one uses rollers.

What would you recommend? Rollers right?

Thanks

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Big Cruisers - Roller or Bunk?

The boat we're looking at is about 30' long, 8,500+ lbs, salt water (with a tiny bit of fresh) and the ramp is a little steep. Tidal changes are about 4' which on a steep ramp means getting into the ramp slime. I wanted a roller trailer, but it's $1K more than a bunk - not the end of the world, but if I don't have I'd rather not spend it.

I've spent some time watching the ramp and it seems that 21-24' boats/bunks are putting the trucks rear tires from 1-3' from the water. Almost no one uses rollers.

Why don't they use rollers??? For a boat that long i would be using bunks. It spreads the load (weight)

Thanks

Why don't they use rollers??? For a boat that long i would be using bunks. It spreads the load (weight). 30ft crusier boat 8500lbs??
Mine is 30ft and it's 10,000 dry weight.

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know why others didn't buy roller trailers, and haven't weighed the boat.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Must be a regional thing, as I see many large (30' range) boats here on the west side of Lake Michagan sitting on roller trailers and this isn't even salt water.

oldjeep

Admiral

Thanks

I'd recommend forgetting about a trailer and find a place to slip it. A 30ft boat as a trailer boat? What are you towing it with?

emoney

Commander

You probably see more bunks for the reasons you listed above: salt water corrosion avoidance and cost.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

from my observations - salt water ramps are generally steeper than fresh water ramps. Roller trailers need maintenance, more so if they are in salt water. Roller trailers are usually more expensive (two hunks of wood, some carpeting, and a bunch of pneumatically shot staples are cheaper than assembling a bunch of rollers). Most people spend as little as they can.

combine everything and you usually get bunk trailers (Float on) usually galvanized or aluminum in salt water areas where people can back in, unhook and go, and you usually get rollers inland where the water level may be lower, the ramps less steep.

robert graham

Admiral

Thanks
There's another alternative....buy the trailer with the bunks and install the black plastic "glide" strips on the bunks to help it slide on and off easier....just don't remove that bow line until you're really ready to launch, because the "glide" strips can be pretty slick!;)

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tips everyone, I like the idea of saving $975 and spending $25 on glide strips the best ;)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Roller trailers need maintenance, more so if they are in salt water. .

Sure would like to know how you figure that! I've got a 14 year old Spartan all roller trailer. Still has all the original rollers and it works just fine. What have I had to replace so far? Lights, winch and bearings. All the same things that wear out on bunk trailers except I haven't had to replace any wood or carpet yet.

oldjeep

Admiral

Sure would like to know how you figure that! I've got a 14 year old Spartan all roller trailer. Still has all the original rollers and it works just fine. What have I had to replace so far? Lights, winch and bearings. All the same things that wear out on bunk trailers except I haven't had to replace any wood or carpet yet.

OK - I'll be the guy to say it this time. You can't compare a trailer meant for a 30ft 9000lb boat with a trailer meant for a 14ft tin boat. You could load that thing with square rollers that are seized to the shafts

Scott Danforth

Staff member

Roller pivots need lubrication. the rollers and roller shafts go to hell with use, they go to hell much faster in salt water when the shaft starts to rust.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

OK - I'll be the guy to say it this time. You can't compare a trailer meant for a 30ft 9000lb boat with a trailer meant for a 14ft tin boat. You could load that thing with square rollers that are seized to the shafts

And I'll say it again here. Nowhere in his post did he quantify his general statement to trailers only relating to boats 30' long or over 9000#. SO GET OFF IT ALL READY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At the same Time I don't see you offering any arguement as to why bunk trailers are cheaper to maintain than rollers either! Yet I can compare my smaller lighter trailer to bunk trailers of the same size and capacity and give examples of many bunk trailers that have had there bunks replaced more than once in the same time frame! So now what's your point!!!!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Roller pivots need lubrication. the rollers and roller shafts go to hell with use, they go to hell much faster in salt water when the shaft starts to rust.

And I guess bunk trailers with pivioting bunks don't need lubrication. I use my trailer on an average of 3 to 4 times a week during the season so again I guess my rollers are the exception. None are dry rotted, out of round, flat spotted, cracked or split and these are 14 years old and age doesn't care how much weight is on them. As for the salt water. I can't tell you anything because there is no salt water in Wisconsin or Minnasota as far as I know.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

And I guess bunk trailers with pivioting bunks don't need lubrication. I use my trailer on an average of 3 to 4 times a week during the season so again I guess my rollers are the exception. None are dry rotted, out of round, flat spotted, cracked or split and these are 14 years old and age doesn't care how much weight is on them. As for the salt water. I can't tell you anything because there is no salt water in Wisconsin or Minnasota as far as I know.

pivoting bunks need maintenance as well, usually replacing the pivot bolt. as for Salt Water or fresh water, I have been in both. I have had both pivoting bunks and fixed bunk trailers. My current trailer is a roller.

I am glad your 240# boat with 125# outboard doesnt flatten your rollers. neither does my 4200# of boat. I would expect that you still have the original zinc coating on your roller shafts as well since the load on each roller is only about #10 for each roller. I am also glad you dont do maintenance on your trailer. I periodically shoot WD 40 in each of them, and once every few years pull the rollers and lubricate them with marine grease.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Scott my whole point is that ALL trailers need maintenance. Regardless of whether it is a roller trailer or bunk trailer. They still need care and maint., just differeing types. I do not spray any type of chemical lube on rubber type components as many will react with the rubber/plastics and cause them to degrade faster.

I do work in the maintenance dept of a food company which the equipment is sprayed down with chemicals constantly for sanitation and be lieve me because I see it that many of those parts would be better served if they were left dry. That includes stainless steel and aluminum aside from plastics and rubber.

Sorry for your assumption, but the little Lund I have now is actually quite a bit more than the 240# you stated but that's really irrelevent. Yeah, I'm glad too that I don't have to maintain my trailer because it gives me just that much more time to use it. Hope it lasts as long as the 50 year old Gator trailer I had 2 years ago! Also FYI the trailer is a plain painted steel trailer.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'd recommend forgetting about a trailer and find a place to slip it. A 30ft boat as a trailer boat? What are you towing it with?

that's the best advice so far. Even though people do it, regularly launching and retreiving a boat that big is a lot of work, expense and danger. You will use the boat a whole lot more if you don't have to go through that drill each time. plus you get to hang out on it (that's what the cruiser owners around here do most of it seems!) if not a place that will launch for you--maybe even by slings.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Long week, Bonz?

But I'm on your side on preferring rollers. I can't speak to which is better for a 30' boat mainly b/c I think they belong in the water or in storage on the hard, and are not "trailer boats."

For smaller boats, roller trailers used to be the ONLY way to go in salt water b/c you kept the trailer out of the water. Lake boaters started sinking trailers; manufacturers saw a cost cutting place on the rig, and started selling them under cheap boats. Now bunks are on the coast, attached to allegedly corrosion-proof trailers with allegedly rust-free water-tight parts (ha!)

The wobble rollers on my 1988 trailer have never been lubed or anything and work as good as they did new. I had one sleeve crack and a few hog ring fittings rust on the ones furthest back. However, the rear strut, the only part of the galvanized trailer to go underwater, rusted out. Rollers mean I never sink it (17' boat)

The rollers on my 1970 trailer works fine for the 13' whaler but could use some loosening up. As someone said, I can slide on them anyway. Never sink it. Replaced the springs/axle after 40 years. Whalers, BTW, must sit on keel rollers (at least old ones).

The bunks under a hunt club boat have been replaced a couple times. it's a dunker we bought for $500. Don't expect it to last. the boat, BTW, cannot sit on rollers; the hull requires bunks.
Never done anything short of hosing on my 2002 trailer and that one has to sink a little for retrieveing (I go real fast b/c it's against 50 years of "Don't sink it" echoing in my ears!). No greasing the rollers or anything. Maintenance free.

So I think the general statements that rollers are for fresh water, and require more maintenance than bunks, are both, generally, incorrect. Nothing one could prove; anecdotal evidence isn't worth much; it's all dependent.