Surge brakes not working, or are they?

002.jpg

001.jpg

These are pictures of the front end of my trailer, obviously... I was reading online that there is a pin that you insert to disable the surge brakes when you need to reverse, however after inspecting the unit I can not find any place that the pin would go, and for that matter the pin itself.

I did find out that I can actuate the piston by pushing on the hitch with my hand, although it took alot of force. I checked in the resevoir and there is some fluid in there, it is not full and its not empty either. I am hesitant to add fluid to the system in fear that I will not be able to disengage the brakes when I need to back the trailer when I park it next to the house. I have to back over a curb where I store my boat.

Since getting the boat/trailer I have always thought that the brakes were not functioning, but I would rather have a functioning system for the obvious safety reasons, and just the fact that I don't want to replace the brakes on my truck every 6 weeks...

Has anyone ever seen this type of setup and know how it works? How do I disengage it, any maintenance tips or advice?

Thanks in advance.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Surge brakes not working, or are they?

More info needed:
1. Disk or drum brakes?
2. How many electrical terminals on the harness, four or five?

Free-backing drum brakes don't require any intervention when backing. If you have disks and five wires, you have a reverse solenoid.

They are drum brakes and it has a four pin connector, so I have free-backing drum brakes? Is there anything that I should do Maintenance wise to make sure they are working correctly? Can I bleed the brakes manually by actuating the Master cylinder by hand? Are there any adjustments that need to me made possibly?

NYBo

Admiral

You most likely have free-backing brakes. Take a look here. Do a search of this forum area for advice on how to bleed the brakes; there are some good threads on the subject.