What is your opinion/experience with bearing buddies?

Billys Barge

Cadet
My trailer has factory grease zerk dust caps but they dont have the springs like the bearing buddies, I have been thinking about installing BB with the springs but I have heard they give you false confidence and that the back bearing can fail because it doesnt get proper lubrication. I'm repacking the bearings this weekend and replacing the seals so now would be a good time to install the BBs. I have also heard that having too much grease can cause a build up of heat because the grease acts as an insulater. So I have thought about plugging the weep hole and just repacking the bearings once a year and not using the grease zerks at all. By the way I'm new to boating so my fear of water getting into the grease is why I'm asking all these questions. Thanks!!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: What is your opinion/experience with bearing buddies?

Bearing buddies are not a replacement for periodic removal, cleaning, inspection, packing by hand, and installation. It doesn't have to be done annually but certainly after evry 3 - 4 years. Bearing buddies have been installed on every trailer I ever owned and I've never had a bearing failure. The problem is most folks don't read the instructions and pump the hubs full of grease until they blow out the rear seal. You pump those up until the disc just barely moves (the spring compresses a bit). A rubber/plastic boot should then be placed over the unit. Picky point -- but those are grease "zerks" not grease "zerts".

Billys Barge

Cadet

Do you think the BB help keep water out of the bearing grease? Thanks for the help and I fixed the zert issue lol.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

One reason hubs with BBs on them have the inner bearing fail is because the user over fills them and blows out the inner grease seal defeating the pressure and the seal. They should be filled only until the spring compresses, but never until it stops. That provides a positive pressure block against water intrusion.

I ruined a few bearings before an old salt showed me how to do it right. Since then zero issues.

Billys Barge

Cadet

Thanks guys I picked up a set of BB's bras and seals guess I'll be getting greasy this weekend

bigdee

Commander

Properly understood and properly used BB's are a solid concept. Nothing beats hand packing, zerks are a joke and just another entry point for water. BB's are for keeping water out,not lubricating....you still need to properly hand pack the bearings.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

any bearing hub that is warmed by running down the road then dunked in water will draw in water.

I have used Bearing Buddies for years, and my father used them for many years before that. once every 3 or 4 boating events, give them a pump of grease. about twice a year I pull the hubs and drums for inspecting. I also highly recommend the covers. or bits of grease will show up on your wheels and sides of the boat since the spring loaded disk is not sealed.

bigdee

Commander

Properly understood and properly used BB's are a solid concept. Nothing beats hand packing, zerks are a joke and just another entry point for water. BB's are for keeping water out,not lubricating....you still need to properly hand pack the bearings.

I was referring to hand packing BEFORE you install the BB....I am a strong believer in BB's

Maclin

Admiral

Mine, not sure of the brand, have a pin hole for pressure release. If you pump in slow enough you can see the disk move out against the spring, and if you don't stop right away grease will spiral out the relief hole. I believe this is to keep pressure off the rear seal in case of over pumping.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Got them and love them. No issues to date.

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love them. Read & follow the instructions &I'll bet you will too.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

have used them for many years .... the cautions mentioned above about over filling them is dead on the money

Jim

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Billy, can you be a little more specific? Your description of "factory grease zerk dust caps" leads me to wonder whether you might actually have an EZ Lube type set up. If so, you don't need Bearing Buddies. Do the dust caps use a little rubber disc that fits inside them for a cover?

Billys Barge

Cadet

The dust caps that are on there say "relaible easy lube" they are like bearing buddies without the spring, the zerk isnt connected to the spindle its screwed into the end of the dust cap.

Kris.J

Seaman

I'm new to boating & boat trailers - but I've been around trailers of all types growing up on a farm. Gramps taught me to disassemble, inspect, replace as necessary, then repack. We did the hay wagons every year before putting them up for the winter.

I figured with my new/used boat trailer, I'd just do the same & not invest in BBs.

bigdee

Commander

I'm new to boating & boat trailers - but I've been around trailers of all types growing up on a farm. Gramps taught me to disassemble, inspect, replace as necessary, then repack. We did the hay wagons every year before putting them up for the winter.

I figured with my new/used boat trailer, I'd just do the same & not invest in BBs.

That is an alternative that works as long as you do it once a year. BBs are for us lazy guys. BBs still need to be re-packed and inspected but not as often.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

The dust caps that are on there say "relaible easy lube" they are like bearing buddies without the spring, the zerk isnt connected to the spindle its screwed into the end of the dust cap.

Hmmm. Never heard of them, but that doesn't mean anything. Sounds like you know how the EZ Lubes work, so if you're confident you don't have them I'd say BBs would be fine. You've already been given the over-greasing lecture.:p