1985 Spartan Single axle wheel bearings and hubs question

danr2013

Seaman Apprentice
I want to change the wheel bearings or possibly the entire hub on my Spartan trailer boat project. I went fishing a few times with the boat this year before I started to restore it. One time the left wheel seized for about 20 feet before rolling again as I was leaving the local boat ramp parking lot. When I got home I greased the hubs until it oozed out. I took the boat out one more time before demolition and had no problem. It's an older trailer and I decided to update it.

My questions are: How do I find the correct size bearings and what if I wanted to put new hubs on too, how do I determine the size for them?

Pictures 1, 2 and 4 are of the left side. #3 is the right side and #4 is stern to the right. And what is with the hose clamps?

Thanks, Dan...

wheel hub5.jpgwheel hub6.jpgwheel hub7.jpgwheel hub4.jpgwheel hub3.jpg

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: 1985 Spartan Single axle wheel bearings and hubs question

1st pull the wheel that seized and check the axle surface were the bearing goes and look to see if the bearing spun on the axle.

I do believe the bearing are mostly the same size given there capacity rating. Anyways, just clean the bearing and look on the face of the bearing and there should be a bearing number which most places should be able to cross reference. Same for the seal.

The hose clamps look like they were put on to quiet some spring noise. The center bolt that holds them together may be lose or corroded.

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

And what is with the hose clamps?
The hose clamps are an attempt to keep the springs aligned. There are supposed to be brackets installed on each end of the spring to do this job.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Whatever technique you use to grease the hubs you need to stop. All of the grease slung out the rear seal on the hub and splattered all over the wheel is evidence you blew the seal. That allows water in the hub which is what causes bearing failure. You have bearing buddies. Learn how to use them. There is a chart at the very top of this forum (not the top of this page) that covers wheel bearing and seal part numbers for the varies spindle sizes. Judging by the pictures it would appear your axle has 1-1/16 inch inner and outer bearings. If you replace the entire hub that's what you look for on the package. If you replace bearings there are numbers on the roller as well as the race. Do yourself a favor and do an on-line search for "wheel bearing replacement" instructions and pictures. Champion Trailer Parts would be one place to look. Most auto stores have the bearings and if they have a shop, can press out the old races and install the new ones. Whether you replace the hub or the bearings, it is still up to you to properly PACK the bearings and when assembling the hub to the axle, making sure you adjust the preload properly. Again -- instructions are on-line in many places.

danr2013

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to all for the information. A blown seal makes sense given the evidence. I looked closer at the other wheel and same thing. I read the stickey thing Silvertip wrote about hub sizes. I've been looking on the internet and at utube learning how to replace seals and bearings.

I dismantled the trailer down to the last bolt to make repairs like welding, new rollers, winch etc and sanding rust for paint prep. I've finished all except for the main frame of the trailer. Now I'm ready to start on that. First thing is to remove the tires and hubs. Full speed ahead! I just hope the spindles are ok. :(

4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg5.jpg

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again to all.

Dan...

danr2013

Seaman Apprentice

Wheels, hubs, axle and springs removed. Inner seals both sides blown. Inner bearings both sides corroded. Races and outer bearings both sides ok. I'll clean up the hubs, polish the spindles, install a bearing kit, new spring rebound clips and all new hardware.

What kind of replacement nuts and bolts should I get, stainless or...? Also in looking at leaf springs for trailers online I notice the pictures show only one clip. Is that all that's needed?

hubs2.jpghubs3.jpghubs5.jpghubs6.jpg hubs1.jpg

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Axle spindles should clean up well with a little emery cloth, cut it into 1" strips. No need for stainless hardware, gets pricey in a hurry. On a short spring as are used on these smaller trailers one clip should do just fine. How are the springs that you have? Can you turn the leafs on the center bolt or are they tight?

When you get to the paint I've found that a 4" fine sponge roller works very well.

danr2013

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Bonz, I'm grateful for your input. I removed the springs and axle so I could clean them up a little. the springs popped right off. The left side has 2 clips and a hose clamp, the right side has 2 hose clamps. I'll for sure replace those. The springs on the right side were fanned out slightly like a deck of cards as you can see in the first photo.

Can you tell me about the u-bolt clamp? I've never seen one like that before. Just one u-bolt clamp angling across like that. Is that normal or someone's idea of a make shift repair?

Dan...

leaf spring1.jpgleaf spring2.jpgleaf spring3.jpg

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Thought I posted this yesterday so not sure what happened.

My Spartan is an R16 with gvw of 1660# the spring U bolts are exactly the same as you have.
Springs could be getting weak if they are lose and the leafs turn.

danr2013

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah Bonz, you did, but it was on another thread I posted. Thanks. I thought I'd better let you know because I didn't want you to think you're losing it, cuz you're not. ;)

Thanks, Dan...

danr2013

Seaman Apprentice

I contacted eastern marine's web site and asked if they had any of the rebound clips. The sales office sent me an email
which said:

No need, the clips are just to keep the leaves from shifting before they are installed. The center bolt is the only thing needed on the spring after installation.

Sales Office

Eastern Marine Online

I read on another site that said the clips are called rebound because the force acted on the springs on a bump for example. The clip isn't needed when you first hit the bump and the springs compress. It's for the rebound so all the springs work together instead of separately which putst all the force on the large top spring. Hence the name rebound clip.

What say you all?

Dan...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

By the way, I could read the date code on your one tire which was "0104" which says your tire is almost 9 years old. You should think about replacing it.