Calkins 14" wheels - change to automotive possible?

bubbajoe1

Recruit
Hi. The wheels on my Calkins boat trailer are rusted and unsightly. Is there a compatible auto wheel (ie. GM, Ford, etc) that will fit? This may be an easy question that someome might know the answer to. Otherwise, my obvious solution is to paint the rims or measure the stud spacing and find a compatible stud patterned wheel.

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Calkins 14" wheels - change to automotive possible?

Normally they are 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern - which would be the same pattern as a lot of jeep wranglers, cherokees and dozens of other vehicles. Trick will be finding something narrow enough to fit.

Could just get new trailer rims, which are pretty cheap from a variety of places. Rim/tire combo if your tires are nearing the end.

Gpayne

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ford Ranger wheels are 5 on 4.5 too. Oldjeep is right about the width, most automotive wheels tend to be wider than trailer wheels, and running a wheel that's too wide for the tire can lead to premature tread wear issues. If you can find a set of wheels that are the proper width for your tires, go for it. Just remember not to run automotive tires. They're not made for trailering, and most of the time they have a lower weight rating than the same size trailer tire.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You want wheels with zero offset which isn't common for auto wheels.

Trailer wheels are cheap. Not sure why you wouldn't just buy them.

bubbajoe1

Recruit

Thank-you for all the insight! The fact that the offset, the tire thread and load, as well as the width are somewhat specific for trailers, the quick, safe solution is to buy new ones. Of course, if I have time and desire, I could further research it - a possible waste of time. Thanks again.