Surge Brakes Sticking?

phkemp

Recruit
I have a 1997 single axle trailer with surge brakes/drums. Used to live on a lake so rarely used the trailer. Towed it form Georgia to Utah 8 years ago, no issues. Tow it several times now during the summer back and forth to the lake 10 miles or so.

I am pulling with a Tahoe. This weekend, it 'seemed' like the trailer was 'jerky', i.e. like the brakes were going on and off. Though I know that likely wouldn't happen, they would be simply stuck on or partially on. In that case, would there usually be a noticeable consistent drag, or could that result in a "pulsing" that feels like the trailer is getting pulled back while I'm driving? When I got home, the drums were very hot, too hot to leave my hand on. Both equally hot. The pin on the sides of the coupler was at the front of the coupler in the oblong hole it travel in, so the coupler was not shoved backward in a "backing" position.

I will jack the trailer and see if the wheels are easy to turn, and if not start checking things out. What to look for? I assume that if both wheels are not turning freely, it is likely the actuator that might be sticking? Or the brakes on both sides have something rusted/corroded and aren't fully releasing. This trailer has done a lot of sitting around, and has never had any kind of service (never got enough use) other than I grease gun the bearings.

After driving 10 miles, they were hot, but no burning smell or anything.

Lastly, I think I could use another 2 inches of drop on my hitch, which I am going to get this week. If that's the case, could trailer "bounce" on road joints be causing the tongue to lift up and down, giving that jerky feeling, and have nothing to do with brakes?

Thanks in advance.

superbenk

Commander
Re: Surge Brakes Sticking?

Trailer should ride level. I'd check your tongue weight too. It should be 10-15% of the total trailer weight.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would bet you $100 that the wheel cylinders are sticking open and making the shoes ride against the drums. Wheel cylinders are extremely cheap, and do not last long if they are not exercised regularly. BTW, when did you replace/bleed the brake fluid last? You do know it's hygroscopic right? Water is hell on brake cylinders-pistons rust in the bore almost overnight. That's why exercising them helps. It boils off the water.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Here's the short version of what's going on. After years of dormancy your brakes are trying to wake up and do their job. The problem with that is they can't do it right because they're all goobered up from sitting so long. It's just a matter of time until one or both sides lock(s) up completely and treat(s) you to any of a number of fun things from boiling grease to smoking hubs to a completely immobilized trailer that's just started a grass fire on the shoulder of the interstate. Right now what you have is a cocktail of fluid, water and rust coursing through your braking system, so before you tow again at the very least you'll need to replace the wheel cylinders and bleed the lines, and I suspect you'll need to replace the master too and flush the lines if the trailer sat that long. Your lines might be okay, but be sure and give them a close look as well in case they need to be replaced. I went through this last year (no grass fire thankfully), so benefit from my hard earned knowledge.:redface:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I agree, your looking at new wheel cylinders and some grease as a minimal expense.

the piston comes out just enough to get stuck, and doesnt retract. this keeps your brakes on just enough to get hot and add drag to the trailer.