bow hitting on winch roller when unloading

hwindle

Seaman Apprentice
boat hull 4.jpgboat hull 2.jpgboat hull 1.jpgI just bought this boat a week ago, and noticed the bow rail was damaged. I thought they had hit something, but the seller said you had to watch the winch roller when putting in. Not knowing what he was talking about we launched the boat, and low and behold the bow rail caught on the winch roller, stopping the boat from moving backward and doing the same thing that had damaged it in the first place. The bow at this point of launching is quite heavy, and it seems like the stern when it starts floating lowers the bow. It also had too much tongue weight. I moved the winch rearward about 2" before putting the boat back on, and it still hit when retrieving the boat.

When I got home I tried to lower the winch, but it was already bottomed out on the post on the trailer that holds it. So I cut the post off 4" and lowered the winch assembly that same amount, which now is as low as it can go. I thought I had solved the problem until we took it out yesterday, and nothing had changed that much, except now with the bow eye above the roller, hits on it-and then the bow hits the roller.

Getting on and reading posts on this forum, I see that the bow eye needs to be under the roller to stop the boat from moving forward in a panic stop. This would require putting everything back around where it was before I did all my work, but the problem of hitting the roller with the bow would still be there.

The only thing I can think of is to raise the bunks on the front, but that would make the boat unlevel when on the trailer. I can't believe that lowering the winch assembly 4" didn't stop the roller from hitting the bow. I also saw that the bunks need to be spread around an inch when I took these pictures, as one of the rails is hitting the side of the bunk, but that can't affect the problem I have.

Any ideas?
boat hull 3.jpg

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: bow hitting on winch roller when unloading

My guess, trailer is being put in too deep and the rear of the boat is floating up and pushing the bow down while not allowing the boat to back off and clear the bow stop.

UncleWillie

Captain

... Getting on and reading posts on this forum, I see that the bow eye needs to be under the roller to stop the boat from moving forward in a panic stop. This would require putting everything back around where it was before I did all my work, but the problem of hitting the roller with the bow would still be there.
... Any ideas?

You've got it. Put it Back the way it was.
As BONZ said, You are likely in way too deep at the launch.

The boat does not need to be FLOATING while it is still on the trailer.
I can launch with NONE on the bunks in the water! Bone Dry!
Back it in so the transom is just touching the water.
Unhook the bow and give it a manly shove.
Once it starts moving it will keep going!
If the transom is on the bunks at the start, the bow will not pitch down until the boat is about half off.

Thalasso

Commander

And add a safety chain to the front.

NYBo

Admiral

The bow eye should be below the roller, so it was probably set up correctly when you got it.:facepalm:

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The winch line needs to pass under the bow roller so the boat won't ride up the roller in the event of a sudden stop. Its a safety issue.

As far as the rub rail hitting, I agree, your going in too deep. The boat should slide down the trailer into the water, the bow shouldn't be 'dropping' down the roller, it should back away from it.

hwindle

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. Too deep is the only thing I could think of too. I have just never seen this happen with a boat before, and the PO must have had a problem with it too. My wife was guiding me back both times we launched it, and she doesn't really know that much about boats. Both times I was back so far when she stopped me, that the water was 6" up on the rear wheels of the truck. I will get the chain, and spay the bunks with silicone.