surge disc brakes makes a loud noise when I stop or when Im taking off

hitchandgo

Recruit
:eek:I removed the fluid cap and the fluid level is fine, has anyone had this claing noise at the hitch area, If so let me know what you did to stop it

Thalasso

Commander
Re: surge disc brakes makes a loud noise when I stop or when Im taking off

:eek:I removed the fluid cap and the fluid level is fine, has anyone had this claing noise at the hitch area, If so let me know what you did to stop it

If you have drum brakes, that noise is a indication that you need to adjust your brakes.

tpenfield

Staff member

Mine did that too. I got some ear plugs and it was much better. I think you get more harsh noises and such as the coupler gets worn a bit. I saw that there were some grease fittings on the coupler, but I'm not sure it helped.

Anyway, the rest of the trailer and boat still seem to follow along regardless.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mine does this also I am going to check the brake adjustment this weekend but am curious how that would cause the noise. It feels like slack in the coupler but there is none.

SingleShot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you are getting the clunk when you accelerate from a stop my quess would be two things. First is your brakes may need adjustment as above any then check your dampner. That is the second cylinder and rod used to keep the hitch from extending too fast. Your hitch may be depressing too much because of the brake adj.

JK

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Makes sense when you put it that way :)

Thalasso

Commander

Mine does this also I am going to check the brake adjustment this weekend but am curious how that would cause the noise. It feels like slack in the coupler but there is none.

You can't adjust disc brakes. One of the reasons that the coupler makes the noise is when the brakes ( drum) are out of adjustment, the coupler has to collapse more to apply the brakes. If the brakes are way out of adjustment the coupler bottoms out on the shock absorber that's in the coupler. Then when you pull out the coupler now takes up all the slack and clunks when it reaches it's max extension.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you have drum brakes, that noise is a indication that you need to adjust your brakes.

I have drum brakes :) just hadn't gotten around to addressing this particular issue and happened upon this informational thread. Thanks !!

Thalasso

Commander

I have drum brakes :) just hadn't gotten around to addressing this particular issue and happened upon this informational thread. Thanks !!

Notice i said it's a indication.If you adjust the brakes and it still does it you will need a dampening (shock absorber) that's in the coupler.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I adjusted them up and now it only does it when applying the brakes. The fluid level was a little low I am going to bleed them tomorrow and see if that helps. If not I will look into the shock. Will it hurt it to run it with the clunk?

Thalasso

Commander

I adjusted them up and now it only does it when applying the brakes. The fluid level was a little low I am going to bleed them tomorrow and see if that helps. If not I will look into the shock. Will it hurt it to run it with the clunk?

When you spin the tire while adj. the tire must be rotated in a forward movement. Try bleeding the brakes also.

ED-LINDA

Cadet

Hello i am i the marine hauling business..what kind of coupler is it....they get sloppy over time and use...have to keep up on the maintenance. Grease fluid checks and blleding ever year to get water out of the fluid..its a magnet for ..i do bearing and seals and races every year...its a must and when wheels are off check brake linings and adjust them......if it was mine i would rip that coupler off and have a coupler bolted without any surge coupler ..then purchase a dexter electric over hydraulic master slave cylinder...it operates off of your elctric brake controller..if ur vehicle is equipped..you can independently set the gain and control them from the vehicle...much better system and a breeze to own and maintain ...id never own a surge coupler again..have one more to swap out when it gets sloppy....thry are a little more money but work ten times better,,,,,also keep in mind that if you have constant low fluid ,,the steel lines run in the frame usually and can get a pin hole in them ..you might not see a leak......hope this helps....ed

hitchandgo

Recruit

Hello i am i the marine hauling business..what kind of coupler is it....they get sloppy over time and use...have to keep up on the maintenance. Grease fluid checks and blleding ever year to get water out of the fluid..its a magnet for ..i do bearing and seals and races every year...its a must and when wheels are off check brake linings and adjust them......if it was mine i would rip that coupler off and have a coupler bolted without any surge coupler ..then purchase a dexter electric over hydraulic master slave cylinder...it operates off of your elctric brake controller..if ur vehicle is equipped..you can independently set the gain and control them from the vehicle...much better system and a breeze to own and maintain ...id never own a surge coupler again..have one more to swap out when it gets sloppy....thry are a little more money but work ten times better,,,,,also keep in mind that if you have constant low fluid ,,the steel lines run in the frame usually and can get a pin hole in them ..you might not see a leak......hope this helps....ed

Thank you so much for the advice, I will be changing over from surge brakes as soon as I can get to U-haull