roller trailer to bunk

gabe4560

Cadet
I have a trailer with 4 sets of 4 rollers each, is time to change them due to age damage, do somebody recommend on a transformation to bunks, the cost of the rollers itself is $300 plus the u-bolts etc. instead the bunks is around $150.
Also need some tips on how to doit if is a good option.

thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: roller trailer to bunk

Bunks are easy! Easy to make, carpet and mount.

What is wrong with your rollers? Some boats do better with bunks and many have multiple sets up to 3 per side on a trailer.

I guess the easiest way to see how they are designed is to take a digital camera to the boat ramp and start snapping pictures of the empty trailers.

I made my own mounting plates and post from angle iron which is stronger then what is sold across the counter. I would provide photos of mine however my boat is in storage this season (long story). :redface:

slowleak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did a similar trailer conversion a few years ago for a buddy. I basically took shorter sections of bunks, and installed a 2x4 over each set of roller shafts. The trailer originally had 16 rollers, it now had 8 short carpeted bunks. The bunks were held on by cotter pins and floated much like the rollers did, only as an assembly.
In simpler terms, remove two rollers on side of one roller assembly and install one bunk board over those two shafts. Every two rollers are replaced with one bunk board. It worked very well, the bunks could conform to the hull easily and it gave far more support than individual rollers did. I had gotten the idea on here years ago.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I prefer rollers to bunks, and if you are in salt water, rollers may be the better way to go. Don't haev any info about your boat so I can't say anything more.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a trailer with 4 sets of 4 rollers each, is time to change them due to age damage, do somebody recommend on a transformation to bunks, the cost of the rollers itself is $300 plus the u-bolts etc. instead the bunks is around $150.
Also need some tips on how to doit if is a good option.

thanks

Keep the front rollers and replace the rear sets with bunks. Carpet if your boat is 'glass, bare wood if aluminum (can add slicks to the bare wood).

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Keep the front rollers and replace the rear sets with bunks. Carpet if your boat is 'glass, bare wood if aluminum (can add slicks to the bare wood).

Why no carpet for aluminum? It works quite well!

The manufacturers of the slicks tell you not to use them on aluminum boats!

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can see the potential for trouble with a rivited boat but a welded tinny should be fine right? Aside from taking paint off over time.

catfish58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My tin boat(welded seams)came from the manufacterer with carpeted bunks. They work just fine.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

The carpet holds water which provides contact between the corrosive pressure-treated wood and the aluminum. If you have really old PT wood, you'll probably be fine, but the stuff made in the last ten years is much more corrosive. Over time, you'll have premature corrosion on your aluminum hull, especially if in saltwater.

I use the surfix slicks - they recommend them for aluminum boats, also.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I prefer rollers to bunks, and if you are in salt water, rollers may be the better way to go. Don't haev any info about your boat so I can't say anything more.

Would like to hear more about your boat as well. May make sense to keep it partial roller set up. To me it is like saying I'm converting from my suv to a horse as my commuter vehicle.

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've seen a few cases where bunk slides were busted up after catching on a rivet head or other structure on the hull, even the rear pinch weld or seam. Good urethane rollers are the ticket, most aluminum boats just don't weigh enough for the rollers to be an issue. I like to see each roller loaded light enough where I can pass my hand between the hull and roller easily. That way there's no way it'll ever damage the hull. On my 16' Starcraft, I have 16 rollers in all, but the boat only weighs 800 lbs or so loaded.

Bunks would be fine too but its nice not to dunk the trailer wheels in the saltwater.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

still nothing about the boat. Blind guessing here, not advice. Nothing from OP. Seagull?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I'm not going to argue once again the personal preference for rollers or bunks because in my opinion that's all it is. A preference! I have yet to wittness an aluminum boat being damaged because it was on a roller trailer. One can buy a Lund, Alumacraft, Crestliner or Mirrocraft on either. It all depends on what company the boat dealer is using or if it can be requested. I have on the other hand have seen fiberglass boats with damage to their bottoms because of weak, broken and neglected bunks. Along with just plain misuse. Also most damage that I've seen posted here and in person was the result of boat neglect and not a fault of whatever trailer it was on unless of course the trailer was neglected also. It doesn't matter whch type of trailer the boat is on if that boats stringers and transome are all rotted out.

Now I will say this. My boat is on a 14 year old Spartan all roller trailer and every one of the rollers on this trailer is still original! All still roll and work very smoothly, No flat spots, no cracks. I also expect that these rollers are still going to last a long long time.

As loose rivet stated also, on my trailer I can climb under it and with the boat on the trailer I an still able to turn each roller by hand. This trailer only has 2 bunks of 4 rollers and 3 keel rollers. IMO the biggest reason people buy or have all bunk trailers for boats under 18' is because they are cheaper to buy up front.

gabe4560

Cadet

sorry i was out of town, my boat is fiberglass "Raven" 19ft and weights around 3500 lbs (4.3l V6 Mercruiser)