Safety chain for winch

saxrulez

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can someone give me a link(and/or picture) with how their safety chain attaches to the bow eye. Do people just use regular carabiners rated for a lot of weight or some other type of hook?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Safety chain for winch

000 1u.jpg

Many trailers use thin chains with an s hook.

I use a hook and a couple links of chain from a trailer hitch safety chain, 2000# rated.

I run the safety chain down to the tongue with a turnbuckle, as suggested here on iboats. I believe JB was the first member I heard mention doing this.

I also have added an extra eye to 2 of my boats now.
This frees up the main bow eye for the winch strap, and the launch line.
Makes thing much easier.
The turnbuckle takes about 10 seconds to tighten by hand, and absolutely prevents the boat from moving or bouncing.

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use an S hook, I was going to use a turnbuckle but could not find one that had the higher load capacity ofbowhook1.jpgbowhook2.jpg a S hook. Pics attached..

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

2000-3000 turnbuckles are available at many farm supply stores, rural hardware stores, and online.
THey are relatively cheap too.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

View attachment 160426

Many trailers use thin chains with an s hook.

I use a hook and a couple links of chain from a trailer hitch safety chain, 2000# rated.

I run the safety chain down to the tongue with a turnbuckle, as suggested here on iboats. I believe JB was the first member I heard mention doing this.

I also have added an extra eye to 2 of my boats now.
This frees up the main bow eye for the winch strap, and the launch line.
Makes thing much easier.
The turnbuckle takes about 10 seconds to tighten by hand, and absolutely prevents the boat from moving or bouncing.

I too use 2 chains, one running forward and one running aft a little, to keep her from going much in either direction. But I don't pull them up with zero play, as the boat needs a little "wiggle room" for bumps and such. If pulled in tight, on a heavy boat, there would be a tremendous amount of strain on the bow eye when going over bumpy roads. I do use ratchet tie downs next to each chain which will give a little flex and stretch when needed, but holding her tight. The chains are there for when / if the "unthinkable" incident happens and causes the ratchet straps fail.

So to sum it up, I have 5 actual tiedowns on the front, 2 chains, 2 straps and the winch cable. A little over kill? Yes.... But I feel comfortable about it.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Run your safety chain down to the trailer tongue. I actually had my winch stand forward brace break this summer and since the safety chain was attached to that I was lucky to get home with the boat still on the trailer. I use a small chain binder instead of a turnbuckle just cause I had one.