bow roller to high

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My bunks and the bow roller are not adjustable. Is there a device I can add to the trailer to lift the bow of the boat about 6 inches before it gets to the roller? If I back in far enough to get the bow over the roller I am way above the guide ons and the boat floats off the sides of the back. If I could raise the bow early I wouldn't have to go so far back in the water. My only other idea is to convert to a roller trailer and I think that is going to be costly.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: bow roller to high

It is but when I try to put the boat on the trailer the roller goes over the top of the bow itself, or I guess actually the top of the bow goes under the roller, unless I back way way in the water. Our ramps are pretty steep and that could be part of the problem I guess.

dmccaffrey

Seaman Apprentice

What you need are center bunks. Take a look at the picture for the 5-star AC model shown here: http://loadrite.com/AluminumTrailers-Bunk-Tandem.php

They call them target bunks but they are the same thing. Centering bunk are short (4-5 foot) 2x6 bunks that are installing toward the bow close to the keel. They will give you several benefits ... the one that's important to you is that they will raise the bow up to the roller as the boat is winched on eliminating the need to put the trailer as deep to get it to clear the bow roller. They will also center the bow and keep it from floating off the trailer

It's hard to tell from your avatar picture but it looks like you will need to install another cross-member to use these. It will still be worth it. Once you install a pair, you will never go back.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That does look like what I had in mind and I will have to install an additional cross member. Thanks

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Your problem may be that you are backing too far into the water not allowing the boat to settle on the bunks before the bow reaches the roller. Having to back way in to load is a indication of this. This problem is most common with larger boats that have a bow pulpit. Give it a try. You might be surprised. If then have a problem cranking or powering up to bow roller, lube the bunks or install bunk slicks. You'll also find that the boat loads straighter. Caution though, if you do lube the bunks or install bunk slicks, don't disconnect the winch strap or safety chain until boat's stern is touching water lest your boat ends up on the ramp.

-- Jeff

emoney

Commander

You could also add "guide bunks" to the back and they bolt to the side frame requiring no addt'l cross members.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have the guide bunks and the back floats so high they don't really help much.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your problem may be that you are backing too far into the water not allowing the boat to settle on the bunks before the bow reaches the roller. Having to back way in to load is a indication of this. This problem is most common with larger boats that have a bow pulpit. Give it a try. You might be surprised. If then have a problem cranking or powering up to bow roller, lube the bunks or install bunk slicks. You'll also find that the boat loads straighter. Caution though, if you do lube the bunks or install bunk slicks, don't disconnect the winch strap or safety chain until boat's stern is touching water lest your boat ends up on the ramp.

-- Jeff

I am considering installing a two speed winch to try this because I agree it may help. My current winch will not pull the boat up when out of the water that far. And I NEVER unhook the winch or chains till I am in the water :)

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well I installed a 2 speed winch and only backed in till the fenders were barely under the water. Bingo!! boat lined up just fine and loaded good. The winch still took a lot of strength to crank so I am going to add some silicone to the bunks and see if that helps. If not I will add plastic glides and it will be fixed :)

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Well I installed a 2 speed winch and only backed in till the fenders were barely under the water. Bingo!! boat lined up just fine and loaded good. The winch still took a lot of strength to crank so I am going to add some silicone to the bunks and see if that helps. If not I will add plastic glides and it will be fixed :)

Hey, thanks for the update. Glad your problem is solved. I have a roller trailer, so a lot easier to crank on. Lube or slicks should make your trailer easy too.

-- Jeff