shorelander trailer for larson 850 lx

bdave6er

Cadet
we got this new boat and the trailer has these electric trailer breaks? which is great, but, on my f150 i only have the round plugin or the 4 prong. so i got an adapter to accept the 5 prong trailer plug w\ a converter to plug into the round plug. lights work but it seems like the trailer breaks are locking up and won't release.... any suggestions??

maybe the round plug isn't sending juice for that break cable?

thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: shorelander trailer for larson 850 lx

we got this new boat and the trailer has these electric trailer breaks? which is great, but, on my f150 i only have the round plugin or the 4 prong. so i got an adapter to accept the 5 prong trailer plug w\ a converter to plug into the round plug. lights work but it seems like the trailer breaks are locking up and won't release.... any suggestions??

maybe the round plug isn't sending juice for that break cable?

thanks!

Ayuh,... The brakes are being powered by the brake lights...

Ya need the brake controller for the truck, 'n the proper wiring to hook up the trailer...

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,... The brakes are being powered by the brake lights...

Ya need the brake controller for the truck, 'n the proper wiring to hook up the trailer...

No he doesnt.

What he has is the 5th wire allows the brakes to not work when backing up, sometimes the plug isnt all the way in or connection not working right, he has surge brakes, not electric brakes. the Larson 850 is a 19ft range boat.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

I think he needs the controller if they are electric or is it just the back up solenoid he is talking about.

bdave6er

Cadet

ya, sorry for the confusion.. they aren't true electric brakes. they are the 5th wire controlled brakes. dad's ford ranger only had the 4 prong adapter, so he rewired a 5 and his works fine. mine only has the 4 or the round on the f150, so i had a plug adapter into the round that accepts the 5, but for some reason the brakes are locking up and aren't properly functioning. maybe just a bad connection? doesn't make sense that the lights work though, but not the brakes.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like something in the wiring if your Dad's works. Check to see if you have power at the plug connectors.. You can also get a plug tester that has led lights in it so you can check to see which if the connectors are working when you use the brakes, signals and reverse. They see them all at parts and discount stores for about $30 bucks. If you look at the hitch on the trailer see if there is a manual bypass hole. Mine has a hole where I can stick a metal pin in it to prevent the brakes from working when moving the trailer around with a tractor or four wheeler.