new wheels on an old Montgomery Ward trailer

gwm1

Recruit
Hello, everyone,
I'm new around here and have soaked up quite a bit of information, but I'm still stymied on a project I am working on. I hope someone can shed some (productive) light on the situation. Scrap it, get a new trailer, and switch to lugs have all crossed my mind, but I'm not ready to give up just yet.

I'll try to add images as I go along, but they might end up all together at the end. We'll see how that goes.

OK, I've acquired an old aluminum boat (pre-1953) that was sitting on this (even older?) Montgomery Ward trailer:
old wheels.jpg
It may be hard to see but the wheels are integral hubs and the hub is quite long relative to available wheels today. I didn't find this out until I gave the wheels to buddy to clean up and he called me back and said these wheels are shot. Too much rust and won't hold air. Get some new wheels.

So, I orded the closest thing I could find from eastern marine. I was warned the new hub length would need 4 1/8" spindle and thought "Ha, I've got that plus some."
spindle.jpg

The new wheels came with bearings and races and a grease seal. Before putting everything together, I slid the wheel onto my spindle with this result:
gap2.jpg

Here is what it looks like if I move the wheel out to where it would need to be with the dust cover on:
gap.jpg

What I'd like to do is put some sort of spacer there, but I don't know what might work. A stack of washers? Something welded? (which I cannot do myself) The thing that makes me take pause here, aside from simple ignorance, is the recess where the grease seal would sit against the axle:
grease seal.jpg

Could that seal sit flush against something like a spacer? I'm guessing that recess is there for a reason, but can I work around it?

I'm open to any suggestions. Here is a summary of where I've been on this project: old wheels not an option due to rust; cannot find newer wheels that fit perfectly. Have not been able to locate an option to switch to lugs due to spindle length AND the fact that the spindle itself is only 3/4"....yes 3/4" straight. I could have had many more options with 1" but no, it is 3/4". Did I mention I had difficulty finding options that fit a straight 3/4" spindle? Now I need to fill in that space with something. Whaddya think?

Thank you

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: new wheels on an old Montgomery Ward trailer

Maybe you can order a whole new axle including the hubs through a vendor. You should be able to measure your axle lengh and order what you need and bolt it up.Should be able to get one with a 1" shaft that would make replacement parts easier to come by. I think some of the guys on here have used etrailer. Someone should chime in with a good vendor or another option for you. I would not try to make/use anykind of spacers. Good luck!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

+ 1 that would be the simplest thing.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Not to pee on your parade. BUT get another trailer. I think your throwing good money away on that idea.

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Around here that trailer is called an antique, leave it as it came from the factory and restore it all original, or sell it and find a modern trailer.
A newer trailer will be both easier to load and it'll provide much better hull support for your boat.
Other than either replacing the axle or putting modern spindles on your original axle, (requires welding), your stuck with those wide hub rims.
I did see someone take a set of modern spindles and machine them out to fit over his original 3/4" diameter spindles, which gave both a sealing surface and the ability to run modern wheels but it would take access to a good lathe and some re engineering to make that work.

Personally, I'd just leave the trailer the way it is, it worked fine for all these years, why change it now. How big is the boat?
Have you ever even tried to launch and load with that trailer?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Next best answer, watch local adds, craigslist for an old used rusted trailer with an axle width the same size. They can be found very cheap to free as all you want is the axle. That is if you are looking to do an era restore. Otherwise I'd be looking for a different trailer.

gwm1

Recruit

I had hoped to keep the trailer as original as possible, short of a complete restoration. I sent the wheels with a buddy who said he could clean them up a bit. While he had them, I sanded the trailer down and repainted it. The orginal coupler was missing the spring and another piece and there were add-on trailer lights, but I wanted to keep it basically the same other than that. That is why I opted for integral hub wheels rather than transition to lugs.

When my buddy said the wheels where shot wouldn't hold air I didn't really question him on it. The boat and trailer had been sitting a minimum of 14 years before I got it. I loaded the boat and trailer on a truck and carried it home. The tires where of course flat and dry rotted and the rust I saw on the wheels I assumed at first glance was superficial. I put the boat in the backyard, gave him the wheels, and worked on the trailer.

A new trailer may be the easiest way to go, but I've got one more question: would it be possible to cut about an inch more threads on the spindle and then cut off the excess? Would a regular die do this? A machine shop?

Thanks for the input from everyone, even though it is unanamously going a different way than I had hoped. :(

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

Cutting more threads may be the best idea so far. If the spindles are mild steel you should be able to do it yourself.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

"When my buddy said the wheels where shot wouldn't hold air......"

That old of wheels used a tube, tubeless were far and few back then. 1954 per link:

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bltires.htm

Boy does that bring back some bad memories, changing/patching those old tube tires with handtools. :facepalm: