B Rating Trailer Tire Pressure?

ericlindy42

Cadet
Hey guys,

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times but don't have much time to dig through older posts. Much help would be appreciated to get a quick respone.

We're planning to take the boat on a 3 hour haul for our vacation. The trailer has new bearings and have been greased. Everything is good to go except how much air do I put in the tire? It's a class B rating and has a stamp on the sidewall that says 780 lbs 60 psi. Then the confusing part is there's another stamp on the sidewall that says do not exceed 32 psi when seating the tire. Which one is it? Should the tires be 60 psi or 32???

Thanks a bunch!

Eric

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: B Rating Trailer Tire Pressure?

60psi.

The 32 lbs is for when you are seating the tire (installing on the rim). If you fully pressurize a tire before the beads seat you can blow it off the rim.

ericlindy42

Cadet

Thanks oldjeep.

Another noob question. For the week the boat will be docked in the slip and the trailer parked in a lot. Should I take some air out of the tires when the boat isn't on the trailer?

Thanks,
E

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

No, leave the pressure at 60 all the time.

ericlindy42

Cadet

Including the spare tire too? Or should this one be at 32 psi? Thanks again guys.

oldjeep

Admiral

Including the spare tire too? Or should this one be at 32 psi? Thanks again guys.

They should all be at 60psi. 32 is only when you are initially mounting the tire and waiting for the beads to seat. Having a spare at 32 isn't going to help you out much when you need to use it ;)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Just to clarify, the 32 psi is for when the tire technician or garage mechanic puts the tire on the rim.

Once on the rim, the tire should be inflated to 60 psi.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Just to clarify, the 32 psi is for when the tire technician or garage mechanic puts the tire on the rim.

Once on the rim, the tire should be inflated to 60 psi.

+1 on this one.

Failproof

Petty Officer 1st Class

Beware the spare! Make sure all your tires are the same pressure /load rating. Before putting Any air in, make sure you are not going to exceed the max branded pressure on THAT tire. I have seen what a overinflated/zipper rupture can do to your face. Not a way to start a vacation!

ericlindy42

Cadet

Thanks for all the replies! This gives me a peace of mind. Just repacked the bearings too. We're good to go...

E