Carlisle Trailer Tires

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Carlisle Trailer Tires

I've NEVER had good luck with their tires in various sizes. Lots of tread separation issues and blown sidewalls even though I check pressure religiously (even at wayside rests during pit stops). Started running Load Star brand tires an haven't had ONE SINGLE failure yet, not even any dry rot showing up on 8 year old tires!

lrak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Interesting, seeing that all "ST" tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph

Interesting, seeing your wrong. The ST tire spec clearly states that they have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph at their maximum load & PSI. Some trailer tires allow for a 10psi over inflation and carrying the maximum load at 75mph. Others allow 75mph if the tire is inflated to the maximum but the load is no more than the weight tables suggest for 10psi less than the maximum.

Given all the advice to always inflate tires to the maximum on the sidewall no matter the load, I have a feeling most people have never seen a load table...

oldjeep

Admiral

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

I just replaced the tires on my Camper with the Carlisle 205/75 R-14 RH. For some reason trailer tires are the bastards of the tire world. Finding a good quality one is tough...even the Goodyear Marathons (considered by many in the RV world to be the best) have had issues. The manufacture date is important and if they are over 3 years old, most reputable tire shops won't mount them. Do not mount a higher rated sidewall (D, E, etc...) on a previously mounted C loaded wheel unless you can verify it's rated for that load (luckily most are). Some are rated for the 50psi, you are more likely to suffer a blowout that destroys the wheel (seen it happen!).

Tire inflation, as has been stated previously is very important. The C rating on most trailer tires is rated for 50psi, the D for 65psi and E for 80psi. Most C rated tires have a load rating of 1,360-1,820 depending on size and manufacturer.

You can plan on replacing average used trailer tires every 3-4 years, depending on use and storage practices. I definitely recommend this as last place I wanna find out the integrity of a tire is on the interstate.

I've so far liked the Carlisle RH as I've driven about 1,000 miles and they have shown no noticeable wear and they have maintained the appropriate pressure since mounted (April). One point noticed however, is that at the requisite 50psi they still seem to have more sidewall flex than my previous bias ply trailer tires. Flex = Heat in Bias ply tires. First set of the Radial trailer tires and so far so good!

I've got a buddy with the original Goodyear Marathons (1998 vintage) on his Stroker Bass boat trailer and they have always been garage stored and probably have less than 2,000 miles on them. Look brand new...but then so does his boat!

bigdee

Commander

The reason that most say to run at sidewall pressure is because that is what the majority of the trailer tire mfgs say. While they show a load chart - pay attention to what it says below it:
http://www.carlisletire.com/product_care/trailer_tire_service_guide.pdf

"The above table DOES NOT endorse the reduction of air pressure. It is to be used as an example of
the relationship between air pressure vs load or lack there of. Carlisle Tire & Wheel only
recommends and only warrants tires maintained @ the max air pressure while in service. This table
(above) shows the relationship between air pressure and load capacity for popular sizes of trailer
tires. The capacities apply equally to radial and bias versions. The letters following some capacities
indicate the load range."

Folks, make life simple and inflate to max......that is how it is.....get over it!