converting roller to bunk

tractorboy

Seaman
I had a post a year or two ago when I was still pretty new. Have had the boat 3 years now this being the 4th. Its still a PITA to launch it, she sits too high on the trailer, I get the fenders underwater but not enough boat in water to flow and does not roll easily off as so high. Its quick a spectacle when Im at the launch. I cant go back in water any further as at the end of the ramps so....
Im really thinking of converting to a bunk trailer so she can get lower in water and look like many other boats where the gunwall is about at the fender vs me about 10" up. Its a 21' sunbird in/out and weighs about 3500 lbs.
Once I remove the rollers and brackets im sure I can get her a LOT lower so, But structural how do I need to build it so the trailer still holds the weight properly? dont want to compromise any safeting or anything.

Thoughts appreciated.....

I know sometimes the bunks are on edge vs flat and what not. If I could get her that 8" lower she will come off but do you not do bunks for a boat this heavy?

here is a link to the pics and more that you care to see. If anyone cars....last summer I made that Top.
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h318/barbieNY2/Annabelle/

Attachments

• rearview.JPG
    rearview.JPG
    3.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF2494 (1).JPG
    DSCF2494 (1).JPG
    2.8 KB · Views: 1

tractorboy

Seaman
Re: converting roller to bunk

Heres one at a dealer. Sounds like this would hold alot of weight. Does not look like it though.............but ad says:

Trailer had 23' bayliner on it could take larger boat surge brakes on both axles, holds 5000 lbs very solid trailer
sample bunk trailer.jpg

64osby

Admiral

tb - could you try and repost your pics. The 1st one is large but the others are too small to see anything.

I had one roller trailer that was very adjustable. Multiple holes for raising and lowering. Hard to see what you have.

The rear rollers could also be moved out, this would lower the stern of the boat and give you a little angle so gravity would help.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Yeah try reopsting the pics. Going to bunks is like me saying I think I'll start riding a horse to work. Maybe better if the car isn't working but not if the car is working properly. I can't make out the detail with such small pics.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

1st off, if you have to float off that roller trailer then there is something deffinately wrong with the setup of that trailer. Many with roller trailers have just the opposite problem in that once it is unfastened it takes off on them. How high it is sitting should have no effect on the way it performs.

Agreed that your thunbnail pictures are too small.

tractorboy

Seaman

ok guys...will repost and even take new pics. may the issue is the back is too high. On the ramp I unhook her and she stays put. I have to almost get a little room, back up and slam brakes to get it roll and "throw" it off the trailer. I tried moving rear roller outward but, was afraid of getting them too far out. can I really "LOWER" the rear enough by moving the back rollers Outward...

Sounds like she needs to roll off on its own. When the front goes in it like, drops and goes SPLASH!! as if you drop it in. I will have to also take a video of it but like a whale splashing back into the water...maybe front keep riding up, then DOWN to the water.

Will get more pics of it all and especially back. The ramps around here tend to be pretty gradual too but its where I always boat.

She DEFINATELY does not roll off on her own! when at ramp cant even PUSH it off! Maybe in if I roll them all the way outward? or even move front inward to raise the bow? also to put back on I have it winch it ALL THE WAY ON..while others wait!!

I guess I just keep looking at the space between the fender and chine of the boat and how high the boat seems to sit vs others and others ive seen.
TB

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Went thru your photo bucket pictures.
Looks like you could move the rear rollers out a few inches.
And maybe move the front rollers in?
Cant see real well if you have room to do that.

The full side view of the rig looks like the boat sits bow down. Very strange to me.

Also, your roller assemblies are real old school, very tall.

Maybe you could contact Karavan, and see what they suggest.
Or look through their parts catalog and perhaps replace the roller assemblies with lower ones.

Probably cheaper to convert to bunks, but it depends on what you want.

http://www.karavantrailers.com/site_uploads/parts/Chapter7-Rollers-PDF.pdf

http://www.karavantrailers.com/site_uploads/parts/Chapter6-Bunks-PDF.pdf

64osby

Admiral

tb - Looked at your pics, if it were mine...

Pic 11 - Move rear rollers out 1.5 - 2"

Pic 14 - Move front rollers in, front roller in pic barely on the hull

Pic 20 - Raise front roller support use bottom holes, bow stop will also have to be adjusted

Pic 24 - what's going on w/ roller not on hull? Old Pic??

Also check to make sure all the rollers spin freely. My .02

tractorboy

Seaman

64-
Pic 11- ok I was planning to do that. I moved 4" last year believe it or not! will move more, so Im ok with support then? OK

Pic 14 - ok so get them more towards the bottom SUPPORTING the hull vs cupping it. which will also raise bow. GOT IT. Maybe also why I can never get the boat on level when reloading.

Pic 20 - I think I here ya...but Im already using bottom bracket holes? Not only go inward with the rollers but also raise the trailer support to UPPER holes to make higher? If thats what your saying makes sense.

Pic 24 - Yeah, sometimes loading it seem to FLIP a roller assembly. Dont notice till out of water. Not sure why as all the rollers turn freely but somehow gets hung up and happens. I have to fix it once home.

So maybe not so much a matter of Lowering as much as getting her sitting on trailer better. That is the way the PO owner had it and I never messed with it but moved the back rollers out about 4" and they were way in. I will move more outward and front inward to get a better stance. Makes sense and all being rollers you'd think she was GLUED to the trailer!! and thats on the incline of the ramp. May also be why when bows goes over rear it goes upward the slams/rolls of quickly and splash into the water!

I will adjust and resend some pics. So basically not gonna get her lower just need to get her better stanced. ok......

If anyone interested too more pics this am and better shots of rollers and where they are NOW if they want to see. Thank you all. This has been such a pain and now that shes not in a wet dock...wife hates going just for the unload part. Me too to be honost, and NY summers are SHORT...

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

TB, I just looked at your photo album for a better look.

I have to say that I love roller trailers but not this one. It just doesn't look like a good fit for that hull design and the roller trucks look really funky. The trucks on the forward frame look too wide between the rollers. They shouldn't come up the side that far.

When you reset the rollers the 1st thing you want to do is make sure that the keel does not contact the frame crossmember as it's coming into the rollers. So don't move them too wide. Next you also do not want to have the rollers directly under the strakes after it is fully loaded. I also firmly believe that with rollers more is better. Especially with heavier hulls.

I almost have to use a tilt roller trailer as some of the ramps I go to are so shallow that when backed in the bottom of the boat is still not touching the water until I push it off a bit and the trailer breaks at the tilt.

Best of luck with your project I have faith that you will get it worked out.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

One other point I haven't seen posted on here is the angle of the tongue. On mine (1981 Shore Lander) I simply flipped the ball on the hitch so instead of having 2" of drop I had 2" of rise, which significantly raised the bow and made launching and retrieving much easier. Yours is a double axle, so you don't have as much room to "adjust". My advice, as part of the other things your are trying, is raising the tongue as much as you can while keeping the trailer level.

I like the converting to a bunk trailer idea and have thought of that as well, but given where I boat, it's nice to have the roller option when launching/retrieving off a beach.

I used shadow trailers for parts on my trailer...they have the parts you need to convert to bunks...
SHADOW TRAILERS

iboats prolly has them as well...

Good luck and keep us posted!

64osby

Admiral

64-
Pic 11- ok I was planning to do that. I moved 4" last year believe it or not! will move more, so Im ok with support then? OK

Pic 14 - ok so get them more towards the bottom SUPPORTING the hull vs cupping it. which will also raise bow. GOT IT. Maybe also why I can never get the boat on level when reloading.

Pic 20 - I think I here ya...but Im already using bottom bracket holes? Not only go inward with the rollers but also raise the trailer support to UPPER holes to make higher? If thats what your saying makes sense.

Pic 24 - Yeah, sometimes loading it seem to FLIP a roller assembly. Dont notice till out of water. Not sure why as all the rollers turn freely but somehow gets hung up and happens. I have to fix it once home.

So maybe not so much a matter of Lowering as much as getting her sitting on trailer better.
I will adjust and resend some pics. So basically not gonna get her lower just need to get her better stanced. ok......

Yea I was backwards on pic 20, use the upper holes, raise the support.

Pic 24 - you may want to see if you could tension the bolt on the roller just a little so it will move but won't flop over as easy.

Your off load should get easier but getting it back on will be a little harder, you'll be pulling up hill more. Make sure your strap is good.

I'm still learning each time I launch with my roller trailer. The best advise for rollers I've read is simple and it does work. Launch deep / retrieve shallow. When I launch the water is at the top of my fenders, slight push and off she goes. When I load the bottom of the fenders touch the water. I have to crank it all the way on, but if I do this she always centers perfectly.

bonz_d
When you reset the rollers the 1st thing you want to do is make sure that the keel does not contact the frame crossmember as it's coming into the rollers. So don't move them too wide.

+1, You might not want to play with the rear rollers (pic 11) until after you adjust the front and test it.

baja
On mine (1981 Shore Lander) I simply flipped the ball on the hitch so instead of having 2" of drop I had 2" of rise, which significantly raised the bow and made launching and retrieving much easier. Yours is a double axle, so you don't have as much room to "adjust". My advice, as part of the other things your are trying, is raising the tongue as much as you can while keeping the trailer level.

Good advise, I have a 6" rise on mine which makes the trailer nice and level, but I don't have a PU.

Good luck and let us know how it's going.

tractorboy

Seaman

Guys- I have already flipped my ball to a 2" Height vs Drop...that helped even out he trailer itself a little. I also need to add some spring helpers as my dodge can handle the weight, it sags a bit more than I'd like as it tried to keep ride soft.

Also water is to my fenders when launching to but again..she dont budge..this will help. So its normal for a roller trailer to have to retrieve it ALL THE WAY up onto the boat...ok.

Im confused:
"I have to say that I love roller trailers but not this one. It just doesn't look like a good fit for that hull design and the roller trucks look really funky. The trucks on the forward frame look too wide between the rollers. They shouldn't come up the side that far."

I thought another post said I needed to bring them IN farther UNDER the keel more........

I do need to adjust off the strakes, that happened when I adjusted them the first time and said Id do it next time I launch it......I need to adjust to not land on them. I knew that just have not done yet. Need a day at dock when not many people around and launch, adjust, retrieve, launch adjust...................

Your right when you say this trailer is not set up for this boat as my BIL , the previous owner, BOASTED... thats the smallest boat that will fit on that Trailer!! Thats what they said at the dealer when I bought her.....Bigger not always better!!

Going to try to do some work on it tonight at home but I need to be real careful when home and on trailer!! I like all my pcs and parts!!

tractorboy

Seaman

001_01.jpgAlum Welded Ski Boat 0.jpgGranted these samples are bunk trailers but wouldnt the support be the same with rollers and thus move the rollers at the front INWARD:
Please input so I do it right tonight/wed

View attachment 150787Alum Welded Ski Boat 0.jpg

64osby

Admiral

Here is a pic of my trailer. Obviously different than yours, but notice the front rollers are close. When the boat is on it the rollers are about 6" apart from each other, supporting the keel.

LongLake-20110815-00041.jpg

Here's my trailer loaded, The boat appears to be higher in the front, might be level or just up a touch.
IMG-20110811-00025.jpg

tractorboy

Seaman

AH 64!!

I see. In your 2n pic the trailer appears to be somewhat LEVEL while the boat has a cant to the rear! Looking at that pic vs mine I definate sit bow down. If my trailer is level my boat is somewhat level. Also makes sense as explains how I have to jack that thing/Tougue up and or park on incline to ensure she empties rain water and stuff!!

Looking at the rear of the Chine your def tipping slight backward towards the transom. I will do that tonight and post pics. I will first see how it looks before I go UP on bolt on the bracket in the front and test that. Im almost nose diving into the trailer vs your pics. Thank you for this picture and all your guys advice.

more pics to come! and hopefully a better summer of loading and unloading...Loading by winch does not bother me too bad as much as the spectacle of getting her off the trailer.

TB

tractorboy

Seaman

OK GUYS....shoulda painted but...I just was itchy to do this.....I was able to support boat somewhat and move the rear roller out and slightly adjusted the front in. Atleast so they are off the chines.

I think I will need to move the front support up one notch to make higher as I can only get the boat level but that may have to wait till shes in the water and off the trailer to make it safer.

Does this look any better. Alot of tongue flex ( size of trailer) and alot of front weight. Debating moving wheels forward 4". I must say ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is adjustable on this trailer. Took fender off to fix.

http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h318/barbieNY2/boat trailer fix 1/

64osby

Admiral

tb - looking good, IMO.

Give it a test launch before you decide to move the support up.

Before you start moving the axle (wheels). Weigh the boat and trailer (if you don't know it already). Then get the tongue weight. Tongue weight should be 10% -15% at very most of the total weight. 4000# boat 400# tongue

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Agreed, looks much better. Now go try it!