2004 Ford sport trac vs. 21ft Sun Tracker fishing barge

Seasonally.boating.jon

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was looking at a 2006 Sun Tracker fishing barge 21ft. today and thinking "can my trunk haul this thing.
I have a 2004 Ford Sport Trac 4.0 4x4. I will up date this thread later with the specs of everthing. I beleave the boat itself weighs around 1500 lb. I took pictures of the model label on the trailer, so I will look up the trailer weight later. Trailer does have breaks and is single axle.

Do you think my truck can haul this barge?

Thank you Iboaters.

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2004 Ford sport trac vs. 21ft Sun Tracker fishing barge

No problem :)

Seasonally.boating.jon

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, I have some specs and from what I can gather its a "Good to Go".

But anyway

Truck: GVWR-5840 LB REAR GAWR: 3200 FRONT GAWR: 2900
Boat: 1615 NET WEIGHT 8'1" BEAM

As for the trailer, I have pictures of the label that was on the trailer but I cann't figure out the net weight of the trailer.

It shows: GVWR/PNBV 3420 LB
GAWR/PNBE 3420 LB
Then the load Cap. which is 2595 lb

gnathv

Cadet

Subtract 2595 Load from 3420 Gross. Trailer should weigh 825 lbs.

oldjeep

Admiral

No problem x2. My dad has a 21ft fishin barge on a dual axle sissor trailer and weightwise it is nothing to pull. Only challenge is the normal pontoons in the wind issue.

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

no problem X3. I pull a 22 ft. Sylvan Offshore with my '01 Sport Trac, no problems. Just make sure you have trailer brakes that work. If I remember right, my truck is rated to pull 5300 lbs.

Seasonally.boating.jon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cheetah, gnathv, and oldjeep, thanks alot. I thought I would be alright but I just wanted some input from the more experienced boaters.
Never pulled anything this big with a smaller truck. Thanks fellas.

taggy

Seaman

I am pulling my 21' Suntracker with a 2005 Sport trac with out 4WD. No problem at all.

Seasonally.boating.jon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great! I know the 4x2's do have a higher towing cap. By around 500 lbs. or so.

Next question: The trailer has trailer brakes. I want to use them. I haven't checked to see if my truck is equipped with the connectors or whatever for the brakes. If it doesn't, anybody have any advice for me about that issue?

oldjeep

Admiral

The brakes are most likely to be surge brakes - no special connections required. On the off chance that they are electric then you would need a brake controller, associated wiring and 7 pin plug

Seasonally.boating.jon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oldjeep, sorry for the quick reply just kinda short on time. Hopeing to be towing this barge to the river this weekend.

It does have a round plug and I do beleave it has 7 pins aswell. I should have looked for a seperate brakelight plug.

Sorry man. I'm a total newbe when it comes to the trailer with brakes. So I should check out the info on brake controller for a trailer, right?

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

you will have no trouble Stoping, but on a windy day TAKE IT EASY! That 4.0L is a nice V6 but it will struggle with a headwind and that GIANT sail behind you. Leaving the gate open on the pontoon helps a touch too.

Seasonally.boating.jon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks alot for the info. You've set my mind at ease. I pulled it home today with a Z71. No prob.
Also Cheetah, it does have the surge brakes on it. The round connector for the lights have me fooled.

I had autozone order a hitch for me last Wendsday. It came in today and wouldn't you know it............Wrong one. They ordered the one for the regular Explorer. They where told SPORT TRAC. I beleave they thought the trucks used the same frame. Well they don't. Sport tracs have a frame that is like no other Ford I beleave. Different from rangers also. I'm returning the hitch tomarrow, getting my $200 back and takeing it upon myself to order the right one for a far better price than what they have on a ST hitch.

I'm very disappointed, I'm not worried about splashing the toon anymore....I just want to see this little truck pull it or try to pull it.

I would like to add that there is an trans fluid cooler from the factory installed as well. Maybe it will save me some trouble later on.

mrbusdriver

Seaman

Just make sure to take it out of overdrive, I didn't on my 01 Sport Trac and it trashed the transmission.

Seasonally.boating.jon

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is sort of an old thread but I just wanted to say thank you for the info and show a pic. This little rig did alot better than I thought it would. Steep ramps....no prob, nice interstate hills at 65, 70ish....no prob. Had a short down pour on the interstate, 40, 50ish....no prob.:D
Hauled the toon to the river and lake many times this summer.

Need to invest in some good shocks for the rear which will be done before boating/camping season next year. Thanks again iboaters

phone130.jpg

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Need to invest in some good shocks for the rear which will be done before boating/camping season next year. Thanks again iboaters

Just a FYI, but shocks will do nothing... The purpose of a shock is to resist motion, nothing more, nothing less. They do not provide any 'push'. what you are looking at is stiffer springs or airbags. Although I'd verify your tongue weight first, that rig shouldn't be that heavy!

briangcc

Commander

Yep. Either helper springs or replace the shocks with an airbag suspension. Either of these will help with the tongue weight - shocks alone won't.

I'm not sure but if your Ford isn't already equipped, you may want to invest in a rear sway bar. It will help while you are towing. I installed one on my '04 GMC Sierra 1500 and it helped immensely in pulling my current boat and its no where near the sail you have behind you. Very easy to install in your driveway.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Your tow vehicle is adequate for your use.

I would suggest you buy an auxillary automatic transmission cooler, however. They're just over $100, and are the greatest, cheapest insurance you can purchase against transmission failure. Heat is the cause of most tranny failures, and your truck's current cooler is very small.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

I would suggest you buy an auxillary automatic transmission cooler, however.

Hah, I forget that most people have automagic transmissions in their tow-rigs! I had a heck of a time finding an F-250 with a manual tranny.