Advice needed: Trailering My Lund 1600 Fury with the Evinrude E-TEC 25

NF Sportsman

Cadet
Hello everyone,

I have the Lund 1600 Fury with the Evinrude E-TEC 25 Tiller Model and I am wondering the best way to secure my engine while I'm trailering the boat to and from the ponds.

I don't have power tilt and trim.

Thank you again.

Jeff

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Advice needed: Trailering My Lund 1600 Fury with the Evinrude E-TEC 25

Your going to get about 1000 different answers here. Some scientific, some just opinion. The long and the short of it is that the transome on your boat is very strong. It has to take the push of the motor going foreward through rough water and it has to take the abuse of trailering.
That said, in my book if you can help it or baby it why not. I've had boats with 25 hp out boards and 75 hp outboards. I've always used a transome saver adjusted such that the outboard is tilted enough to clear about any driveway.
I've seen people tow with the outboard down and they are hitting driveways and scraping the lower unit. Also it seems like the outboard really bounces around and such on rough roadways. The other thing with towing with the outboard down is getting your lower unit all chipped up from rocks from the road.
You could tow with the outboard all the way up at it's balance point which is probably fine too. Still I've seen motors bouncing around and such on rough road ways.
This leads me back to using the transom saver. A nice one with nice rubber contact points.

Again, strictly my opinion, it gave me a warm fuzzy, I had good results so I ran with it. :)

CoffeeHound

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Advice needed: Trailering My Lund 1600 Fury with the Evinrude E-TEC 25

I agree with Tyee -- TransomSavers are worth their weight in gold for a good one !! Mount to frame type seems the best .
Tie down the LU on the V pretty tight with a quality binder strap ,, hocking the tie down Hooks to the trailer frame -
not to the bunks or rollers. I like the tiedowns that winch down and lock .