Electric winch holding up boat ramp

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I took one of my boats out Sat Morning, the launch has two ramps, one dock, with a launch ramp on each side of the dock.
The river was ripping pretty good so the down side of the ramp was all but unusable. There was a line of about 30 boats.

The guy ahead of me, launching maybe a 16' aluminum boat had a power winch, one of those from Harbor Freight. It took him 25 minutes just to power out enough lead to unhook his boat. I was lucky enough to be the guy right behind him.
Several of us even went over to see what the hold up was, and the winch had no freewheel, only power in/out, and it was slower than slow.

What gives with these things? Don't they make a winch that can move a bit faster for lighter boats? I could see that the thing was brand new, and he had no clue as to how to operate it but the fact that you can't just dump the boat in would aggravate me to no end. He had a roller trailer, so he couldn't back it off and then unhook it, the boat was hanging on the cable the whole way and just heavy enough you couldn't hold it back enough to unhook the cable either.

Are there other power winch brands that make these without a freewheel option?
I've only owned Powerwinch brand, on which all I needed to do is turn the knob to release the cable and let the boat roll into the water.

I'm sure the rest of those in line had the same idea I had about getting out on the water early but we weren't early enough to beat that guy. He held up the ramp for almost an hour by the time he got the boat back in and unloaded and got clear of the ramp. The rest of us were in the water in 3 minutes or so. Most guys were in the water faster then the others could warm up their boats and pull away.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Electric winch holding up boat ramp

Can't speak to the winch, but sounds like junk.

What he should do when launching, is to attach a launch line to the bow eye.
Take the line and wrap it around the winch post, back 2' of winch cable out and unhook it.
Unwrap the line from the winch post and away it would go.

When loading up, he should, at the very least, back his cable out of the winch and lay it on the trailer up in the parking lot, then drive over to the ramp.

Sounds like he would have been better off with a cheap atv winch.

Bondo

Staff member

Can't speak to the winch, but sounds like junk.

What he should do when launching, is to attach a launch line to the bow eye.
Take the line and wrap it around the winch post, back 2' of winch cable out and unhook it.
Unwrap the line from the winch post and away it would go.

When loading up, he should, at the very least, back his cable out of the winch and lay it on the trailer up in the parking lot, then drive over to the ramp.

Sounds like he would have been better off with a cheap atv winch.

Ayuh,... He should learn how to launch 'is barge....

In the ramps 'round here, I only use 'bout 4 or 5' of cable/ rope.... 'n that's for retrieval...
Launchin', takes 'bout 2 turns of the winch handle to loosen, 'n unhook the hook...
Grab the bowline, 'n give 'er a shove...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Problem with sub-standard equipment. You said: "25 minutes just to power out enough lead to unhook his boat" which sounds like he left it hooked to the boat and ran the winch in reverse to launch? Not necessary; you unhook at the winch post and shove the boat off.

This part I don't see: "He held up the ramp for almost an hour by the time he got the boat back in and unloaded and got clear of the ramp." is that when he pulled the boat up?

Anyway, 25 minutes to wind or unwind 16' of cable is absurd. The winch is probably cheap, and weak, and geared down low to make up for being under powered.

I feel certain it would freewheel but he didn't know how.

As apower winch user, thsi guy makes me mad b/c those waiting in line will regard all power winch users as slow and in considerate. In terms of time, a PW may slower, but a few minutes don't matter.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

The guy ahead of me, launching maybe a 16' aluminum boat had a power winch, one of those from Harbor Freight. It took him 25 minutes just to power out enough lead to unhook his boat. I was lucky enough to be the guy right behind him.
Several of us even went over to see what the hold up was, and the winch had no freewheel, only power in/out, and it was slower than slow.

The rest of us were in the water in 3 minutes or so. Most guys were in the water faster then the others could warm up their boats and pull away.

Issue number one: I have a 15 footer fishing rig, and a power winch??? are you bleeping serious?????:facepalm:

I believe and swear by overkill, but come on...............:rolleyes:

Issue number two, also already addressed..........

i slap on my bow line before backing in, get her in the water, disconnect my winch line and push off, using the bow line from there forward.

for retrieving think backwards, NOW i let out the winch , pull the boat in using the bowline until i can attach the winch line, crank her on, Detach the bowline, throwing it back in the boat, attach my safety chain and pull out.............

the whole ordeal, including both times is less than 3 minutes, and time counts when someone else is waiting ...............

hey, wait a minute, where are you so i can avoid this ***munch????

never mind, i already have too many of these "kinds" of people here already

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Issue number one: I have a 15 footer fishing rig, and a power winch??? are you bleeping serious?????:facepalm:

Are you really serious and that self centered?

I myself am older and have had 4 heart procedures in the past 10 years. I boat alone much of the time which means no ones there to help launch and retrieve. My 14' Lund only goes about 900# fully loaded but I will tell you that after a days fishing it can be a struggle to get it back on the trailer and have thought of going to a power winch myself.

The "kinds" of people that make ramps a pain are the ones with no patience and then put everyone else on edge.

Sabbath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The "kinds" of people that make ramps a pain are the ones with no patience and then put everyone else on edge.

If the circumstance warrants it, like yours might then an electronic winch is warranted. But if you're healthy and fit, on a boat that small there is no need for a power winch. And if you've had 4 heart procedures is going out by yourself all that wise in the first place? Just a thought.

And i disagree that it's the impatient people that are the pain. If you know what you're doing and dont look like you're just fluffing around it's fine if you take a bit longer. It's the people that we've all experienced who make it a painful wait for the rest of us. Wanting to load and unload quickly and efficiently isnt a bad thing.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I am just thankful that I have a simiprivate ramp to use and for the most part do not have to deal with the cowboys that show up and expect everyone to be an expert or never have a problem or mishap. Or expect that everyone should be a speed racer and be able to launch and retrieve as fast as they can.

A busy public ramp can be a stressful place as everyone is watching. The last thing anyone meeds is some impatient moron ranting and raving about how long someone is taking. Then from my observation those ranters will be that last ones to go over and offer to help! They are too busy throwing fitts and getting their BP up.

A public ramp is just that, public. Anyone can use them. From the expert to the novice. When I do go to those ramps I already know them and I know what to expect. I know when their peak times are and I allow for that. I also offer help when I can. When it's refused there still is no reason for an attitude. I experience enough attitude all week long while at work and I certainly don't need it when I'm trying to relax.

I do agree that there are rules of etiquette that should be learned and followed. If they also need to be posted so it's clear and everyone knows what they are then do so. Sure there have been times when I have run into people that just don't care how long they are taking on the ramp and taking care of things that should be done elsewhere but I'm not going to become a ranter either. Lifes too short and I don't need to get my BP up nor do I need to look like a fool.

As for my heart condition. Going on the boat alone is not a problem and niether is having sex if you must know!

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

My local ramp this weekend will be a source of some really cheap entertainment. Take a fishing rod, no lure or bait and a 6 pack and some lunch and watch the bafoons for a half day.

Philster

Captain

My wife usually tugs the boat off before I undo the safety chain or winch. Can't undo the hooks with tension on them. No matter how hard she pulls now, the bow line tied to the winch post stops her. But, be it a guy with a slow electric winch or a slow brain, no reason to let the boat keep tension on the winch line or safety chain....

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I still have a hard time understanding why people get bent out of shape at the boat ramp. I can't change it, you can't change it and time wont change it. It's like standing in the checkout line with cash and a six pack and the person in front of you is buying 37 different kinds of scratch off lottery tickets and then decides, oh yeah can I have 5 of those too! Can't do anything about that either. Or the cart full of stuff at the express lane.

Yup. I warned my wife about going to the grocery store on Saturday afternoon. After she came back it was 30 minutes of cursing about how slow everyone was, like they didn't have a care in the world. My reply, "They probably didn't have a care in the world. You need to go into those situations with a similar attitude or you'll just be frustrated and mad all of the time." We all know how well that advice was taken.

Sure I get a little PO'd sometimes when things take longer at the ramp, but I've also been the guy taking too long. Take a few deep breaths, get back in your truck, set the seat to recline, and kick up the Zeppelin. The guy with the 25-minute winch is giving you time to listen to the entire 25-minute live version of Stairway to Heaven!

All that I can say is what I should have said to my wife...I feel your pain

Philster

Captain

My wife is slowly starting to realize that I like early starts for a reason. Everything takes longer than expected. We've started launching at a quiet, private ramp and it is like a slice of heaven. Couldn't launch our old pig there (27' of I/O Scarab), but the new boat is 24', drafts less and the O/B tilts nice and high.

I'm lovin' the quiet ramp.

But yeah... sometimes ya gotta wait. I usually go offer help. It's an excuse for getting the antsiness out. :)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I had a buddy with a piecocrap like that. It had no freewheeling function. The bad part was that he bought it at my recommendation, since he had a heavy boat and a bad back. The trouble was that he bought the cheepist crap he could find rather than a Powerwinch or other good one. Never stopped bashing me for buying it.....LOL.

On the other hand, he at least had the courtesy to back it off in the lot not at the ramp.

But then again, its not just a matter of courtesy, but of common sense as well.

Four times out this year - the weather is fine and the ramps are congested. I have yet to see anyone that knew what the heck they were doing....not one single boater.

In the past I have gone out of my way to try to help people by showing them what they were doing wrong and how to get it right. I'm usually told to MYOB, they did this for years and that's the way it is.

I don't know the answer, but I just give up. Now I use the ramp 3 blocks from my house - a little longer to get to the fishing hole, but the car drive is shorter, nobody likes the ramp cause its a bit of a drive in a no-wake zone. But I like boat rides anyway!

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

Are you really serious and that self centered? serious, yes.........self centered,NO

I myself am older and have had 4 heart procedures in the past 10 years. I boat alone much of the time which means no ones there to help launch and retrieve. My 14' Lund only goes about 900# fully loaded but I will tell you that after a days fishing it can be a struggle to get it back on the trailer and have thought of going to a power winch myself.you sir, would be the exception, i am SURE this person did not have the same problem.

My local ramp this weekend will be a source of some really cheap entertainment. Take a fishing rod, no lure or bait and a 6 pack and some lunch and watch the bafoons for a half day.

DO not forget the video camera, we need some more NEW video's to watch, the old ones are getting quite boring

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I myself am older and have had 4 heart procedures in the past 10 years. I boat alone much of the time which means no ones there to help launch and retrieve.

And you're going to do what when the winch craps out? I quit boating alone when I couldn't handle everything entailed, alone. Maybe you should consider what you're doing, and not how ... :facepalm:

64osby

Admiral

I myself am older and have had 4 heart procedures in the past 10 years. I boat alone much of the time which means no ones there to help launch and retrieve. My 14' Lund only goes about 900# fully loaded but I will tell you that after a days fishing it can be a struggle to get it back on the trailer and have thought of going to a power winch myself.

bonz_d - Attaboy, I always say I'll keep doing whatever, until the doc tells me no more or I fall dead doing what I love to do.

I have considered an electric winch, Sometimes it seems like 10 minutes of winding to roll the 21'er on. Budget would deem a cheapo or used, so I was considering leaving the manual one on as a back up.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Good for you, Bonz, for staying with boating. No one should judge you or criticize you for that.

The problem posted here is not the size of the boat or the fact that he used an electric winch instead of a hand winch. It is that he has some POS winch not made for winching a boat onto a trailer. Pure and simple.

There is no delay with a power winch more than a couple of minutes. None to pull the cable out; none for launching; maybe 1.5 minutes for retrieving. BFD. Power winch speed is between 8 and 15 feet per minute and you seldom pull the whole length of the boat, so a 19' boat is up in 60 seconds. So for those who criticize power winches, apply these facts to your opinion and see what you got.

For the know-it-alls who don't think winches are important or needed: Floating/driving on or off a trailer is but one method and is not used everywhere. Saltwater boaters know not to dunk trailers for small boats. You winch on, roll or slide off, and only the rear of the trailer is wet, not the axles. From my family's boats over 45 years: hand-winched a 13' whaler and 16' starcraft. Power winched a 16' starcraft, 17' key west, 19' carolina skiff. Hand winched all of them if the power winch failed. I use a hand winch on a 21' CC but that one I have to float some; only launch about 4x a year and I'm working on a dry system there, too.

Fair comment to criticize the one guy in the first post. After that, stow it.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

I think there are two morals to this story. First, the unloader should have been a little more aware of the workings of his boat and trailer and realized that his equipment and methods were not efficent enough to be courteous to the other boaters that wanted to get on with their boating day. He should have waited and ramped at a less busy time of day, be it earlier or later. When you have 30 boats waiting to launch, you need to be considerate of others and get your business done quickly and efficently.

Those waiting in line need to be a little more considerate and understanding also. It may be your misfoutune someday to be holding up the line. The Golden Rule applies folks.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I myself am older and have had 4 heart procedures in the past 10 years. I boat alone much of the time which means no ones there to help launch and retrieve.

And you're going to do what when the winch craps out? I quit boating alone when I couldn't handle everything entailed, alone. Maybe you should consider what you're doing, and not how ... :facepalm:

Did you mean when the winch craps out or when I craps out?
1st off I launch and retrieve on average 3-4 times a week all season long. 90% of the time by my self. Also this ramp is so shallow that besides myself there are only 2 other people that use it and if you do not have a tilt trailer you would not be able to unless you would like to back your vehicle 10 feet into the water. Also on one occasion last summer I had to load this boat at this ramp by my self with a very large treble hook buried into the middle knuckle of my index finger of my right hand.

So, can I winch this rig out of the water on a tilt bed trailer to where the boat is completely out of the water when finished winching? YES. Do I get tired and winded when finished? YES. Would a power winch make it easier and more enjoyable? YES. Would you use this ramp? I doubt it! But thanks for your concern.