Bow roller sits under bow eye, is this right?

mistertwister87

Seaman Apprentice
Bought this Alumacraft phantom last fall and the bow eye hook is mounted pretty high. This looks like a factory installation. Anyway my bow roller sits under it and the winch strap over it. It makes it difficult to winch up the boat on an inclined ramp. Is this normal? Any suggestions?

Here are some pictures..

Thanks!

IMG-20120517-00026.jpgIMG-20120517-00025.jpg

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bow roller sits under bow eye, is this right?

If it were not factory you would have more holes in the bow stem. Loosen the winch U bolts and move it up till the bow roller is just under the bow eye. Will make it easier to retrieve. Yes, that seems higher that most boats I've seen, but won't hurt anything.

nlain

Commander

Normally the setup is for the bow eye to fit below the roller, when the boat is all the way on the trailer the bow eye should be tight against and under the roller. I am not sure you can make that one do that, not much room above the eye. I would try and adjust the winch mounting up and see if it will fit properly. This will possibly move the boat back an inch or so, maybe not, the winch post is inclined forward. Will not hurt to try. Couple more things, you definitely need a hold down system on that bow eye, will help keep the boat in the trailer in case of sudden stop, also need a safety chain in case the strap should break, will keep the boat from sliding off the back of the trailer.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The danger of the current setup is that in a crash the boat gets launched over the bow stop and into the back of your vehicle. With the bow stop above the eye and the winch strap below it the bow cannot get over the stop. Stern tie downs would help secure the boat. A side to side strap over the stern does not help that situation.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Used to be in the olden days that's just the way it was done. I still see many old trailers that have either short winch posts or the way that the winch mount is made there is just no way to get the bow eye under the bow stop. My 1989 Spartan was that way when I bought it used. I have sense changed it.

I don't see how you're going to get the stop above that eye the way it is though I do see that there is a hook and saftey chain on the eye.

My opinion. With a relatively light weight aluminum hull with a good bow saftey chain and stern straps that boat wont move. I believe the whole trailer would tip over and that setup still would not come loose.

mistertwister87

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks alot guys, I really appreicate this. So this is a factory setup, there are no other holes for the bow eye. I do have a safety chain (you can see it in the pictures) and 2 retractable transom tie down straps on the back. I looked and even if I move the winch up I will not be able to get the bow roller over the bow eye. It would rub on the triangle piece on the nose. I do have access to the nuts on the bakc of the bow eye, so can I re drill some holes and move it down? If so what should I use to fill the old holes? JB Weld, Silicone? Thanks again!

Maclin

Admiral

I would just get another bow eye and mount it lower. The original one may come in handy where it is, never know, plus that way you won't have to plug any holes, and who knows what you may find if you remove the old one (rusty studs, etc.).

Your winch does not have much leverage the way it is now, and that last foot or two must be a pain.

Regarding the winch strap pulling path, it should be pretty straight, as in the pic below. It shows a movable 90 degree bracket that has a roller on the bottom and a V-berth at the top. I know you only have the roller, and this is a larger boat, but look at the roller and the winch strap configuration. The strap is still straight with the boat all the way in the berth.

bow eye and winch config.JPG

If you can mount an eye lower that keeps the strap pulling level then you will be better off.

Kudos on the safety chain.

Maclin

Admiral

btw that is a pic of mine before I bought it, and I have since added a safety chain :)

mistertwister87

Seaman Apprentice

The way my strap is now it goes over the top, from the looks of yours it goes under the bottom. Does it make a difference? Or will it be fine once my strap is horizontal (and parallel to the trailer)?

nlain

Commander

I missed the safety chain earlier. To answer the question about where the strap should, it should be under the roller, the strap should pull the bow eye tight against the lower part of the roller. This will lock the bow eye below the roller to help keep the boat from riding up and over the roller in case of sudden stop, as in an accident.

Maclin

Admiral

Under is correct for the reasons nlain states. All my previous boats were under. On my current setup the safety chain kinda sorta does that for me. Now that I have had another look at it I may add another bow eye lower!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yes, just add an additional bow eye, tight up under the roller.

Leave the original eye.
It will come in handy for your launch line.

I have put an extra eye on 2 of my boats now.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

have you tried running the strap under the roller? As in, behind the roller, and over to the bow eye.
Is your bow getting lifted up at the end, as you winch it in? Is there any room for the bow to get pushed down towards the ground?

mistertwister87

Seaman Apprentice

Well I tackled project this last night with pretty good sucess. I ended up removing the old bow eye as it would have interfered with the roller. I ended up just putting a new one about 4" lower and raising up the winch. Here are some pictures.

Thanks again to all you guys who gave me some advice!!

IMG-20120522-00049.jpgIMG-20120522-00048.jpg

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Great job! now enjoy it!

Where abouts you at here in Wisconsin? I'm down by Lake Geneva.

mistertwister87

Seaman Apprentice

Hey bonz_d, I am up by Eau Claire, but we have a place in Hayward that we go up to quite often.

Tight lines!