transom saver question

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The rear frame of my trailer is to far forward to attatch a transom saver to. It only has bunks on each side. The motor is a 85HP without power T/T. What should I do to secure it in the up position while towing. It has the lever lock but I am not comfortable in that alone and from what I have read it is not a good idea anyhow. It is to long to leave down because it will drag.:confused:

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: transom saver question

So I am seeing these T/S with a bend in them and are adjustable but there are no final dementions. I just measured from the transom to the nearest cross frame member on the trailer and it is 39 inches. I have been searching for something that will work but nothing yet. I wonder if I would be best off just making one from some steel pipe and adding the ends on to it.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

That may be your best bet in your situation. Can you take some pics of the back of your trailer and put them up so we can get a better idea what your dealing with?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Terminology is crucial on these forums to keep everyone on track. "Transom Saver" is a slick marketing term. On this forum they are more appropriately called "Motor Deflopperizers". Why? Because that's their primary purpose. Hope you have a sense of humor!!!!!!!

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe you could run a board or a piece of pipe across and between those 2 bunks that might make a place for the Transom Saver to rest on?....just fabricate it to work. Good Luck!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I am not a proponent of deflopperizers in the first place and they certainly don't save transoms. But if you must, the "bend down and reach under" devices really can't serve any useful purpose at all, especially a long reach.

There are four purposes:
1. Keep the motor up so it doesn't drag the pavement or hit bumps.
2. Keep the motor from flopping side to side
3. Keep the motor from bouncing on whatever it's held up by.
4. Keep a transom that's too weak and rotten to support an outboard from cracking off and seperating from the boat, by transferring whatever forces there are from a weak transom to a weak trailer strut.

Solutions:
1. the factory installed tilt lock--they don't fail except perhaps small old motors bouncing way up, sprniging the latch, coming down.
OR
1. a block of wood up in there

2. If your steering it that loose, tie the motor off. This is more of a problem when trailering a motor down.

3. Tie the motor down so it's firm against whatever you use, be it tilt lock, block or commercial deflopperizer.

4. Repair boat; it's not seaworthy. This one is only a problem with weak transoms; a transom in good condition is not affected by the outboard hanging on there.

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My main concern is the motor tilt lock not catching on a bump and the motor hitting the ground.. As far as a pipe across the back I have thought about that but I would be afraid to hit it during launch and retrieval operations. Maybe a block of wood to reassure that the motor won't hit the ground would be best and put my faith in the factory tilt lock.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

My main concern is the motor tilt lock not catching on a bump and the motor hitting the ground.. As far as a pipe across the back I have thought about that but I would be afraid to hit it during launch and retrieval operations. Maybe a block of wood to reassure that the motor won't hit the ground would be best and put my faith in the factory tilt lock.

If you do resort to using a block of wood, for the sake of folks following you, at least have the common sense to insert an eye hook and a safety chain to keep it from falling out and onto the roadway. Don't bother asking me why I suggest this. You won't like my rant.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

If you mount a rod or block of wood across the bunks I think you should be able to mount it low enough to not get in the way while launching or retrieving. You could also mount it on some sort of quick release so you can remove it when launching.

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I will just use the tilt lock. I can wedge a small piece of wood in it to prevent it from unlocking kind of like a key that you remove to unlock the latch