Long Trailer Co Single axle trailer (galvanized)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
A question that has been asked many times before.

The P.O. of this boat/trailer had a title, that he could not get switched over, so he put a homemade tag on the trailer. He told me that the original title said 400lb. trailer weight, 1500lb. GVWC. It is a single axle galvanized trailer from Long Trailer Co., Tamboro N.C. I tried contacting the company and I think they are out of business. Do these numbers sound right? BTW, registration stickers on the trailer go back to the early 90's-late 80's to give you guys an idea about the year.

Anyways, I brought the boat to the local (Cat) scale at my nearest truck stop and they said that it was too light to register on the scale.:confused: Anyway, I have a 16' Starcraft (610lbs.) a '67 Merc 650 (228lbs.) so the trailer is, and does not need to be heavy duty. It looks like a light grade trailer that is capable of handling my boat without any issues. I want to be sure that the trailer can handle a GVWC of all my gas, gear and all that jazz, and I also want to make sure that I am not going to easily be over my 1500lb. tow cap. Thanks guys!!

64osby

Admiral
Re: Long Trailer Co Single axle trailer (galvanized)

Anyways, I brought the boat to the local (Cat) scale at my nearest truck stop and they said that it was too light to register on the scale.:confused:

Weigh you TV and Trailer, then your TV. Subtract the two = trailer weight. Shouldn't be too light then. Strange

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Weigh you TV and Trailer, then your TV. Subtract the two = trailer weight. Shouldn't be too light then. Strange

Yeah it created issues there. Hmmmm.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Called up the owner of the station. He told me that the minimum weight of the scale is between 5-6000 lbs. I think Im going to bring a bunch of old batteries to the scale with me......

64osby

Admiral

Gravel pits and scrap yards are also good places to weigh, the one's I visit don't have minimums.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Another idea is your local garden center that sells bulk stone. They will have a scale the will read low weights.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Aite guys, so I got to a scale today. Here is my little dilemma. The boat that I have from factory weighs in a 610lbs. The motor is 228lbs. The title on trailer was homemade and said 400lbs, so I figured my weight would pull in at around 1240 without any gear. Well, today I weighed in a 1440lbs. My 2011 CRV can only tow 1500lbs. according to owners manual. It pulls the boat just fine, gas mileage goes from 25 down to around 17mpg. So theoretically I guess my trailer weighs in around 600lbs. and has a GVWR of 2000lbs.

If I take the 1440, add my kicker (35lbs) trolling motor (20 lbs.) fishing poles, 10-15 gallons of gas (70-100lbs.) and three batteries (150lbs.) I will clock in at 1700-1800lbs. I can buy an old truck to tow, but the CRV is reliable. Last thing I want to do is break down on my way to the hole. I guess I could just put the batteries in the CRV, and just fill up at the ramp. That will keep me right at 1500 so just in case anything happened, I'd be okay.

Other idea would be to get an aluminum trailer so that I can drop 200lbs. Money isnt as big of a concern as is being able to keep this vehicle as my main tow vehicle. (The whole 20 times a year that I actually get to go out on the boat anyway) Any suggestions or ideas?

64osby

Admiral

You may want to drop the boat in the water and double check the trailer weight. You might have some soggy foam, also any gas in your tank now. Between batteries and maybe less trailer you might get under your 1500.

It's not so much about towing, it's about stopping and liability if something does happen.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

It's not so much about towing, it's about stopping and liability if something does happen.

Exactly! I just want to be on the safe side. My gas tanks were not on the boat at all. Also, the foam in my floors is completely dry, but you are correct I will still check the weight of the trailer by itself. I also want a lighter trailer so that I can put surge brakes on it and not worry about the extra weight. I will install a tranny/oil cooler on my CRV as well as an anti-sway bar. I want to take all precautions to be safe and prepared!

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Update: I found a nice aluminum trailer on CL for $250. Guy has a 16' Carolina Skiff CC on it. He says the trailer is rolling in around #300. Man if I could shave off #300lbs. It'd be AMAZING!! Do you guys think that an aluminum trailer designed for 1500-2000 pounds will pull similarly to the galvanized steel, or will it be a much more unstable ride?

64osby

Admiral

I don't think you would notice any difference between the two trailers with the weight of your boat. If you had a stripped down tinny, yes you would see a difference.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

That trailer should be fine for you I think. Also putting brakes on the trailer is a good idea as said before towing isn't the problem stopping is. Also be really careful to make sure you are not exceeding your tow vehicles rating. A few hundred extra pounds will probably not make any difference to your car but should there be an accident even if it's not your fault you could be in big trouble liability wise. As long as you get that wieght down I think you should be fine.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Yeah I agree. The trailer that I picked up today is in great shape. It is all aluminum with a lighter grade axle. I think it weighs around 300lbs. I am not sure if I can use it for this boat though. I couldnt pass it up at $200, but I may have to get something a bit longer.

What do you guys think about this. The trailer that my boat is on now has bunks that extend out a foot past the frame, and the boat rides the bunks out that 1 foot past the frame. This newer trailer will have my boat hang off of the end of the frame by almost 2 foot. The boat will also sit closer up the the car than it does on the current trailer(which is okay because my tongue weight is way off on my older trailer package) Do you guys think that I could get a welder to extend out the main beam another foot(forward towards the car) or is this asking for trouble? The wheels of the trailer are pretty far back. Ill send pics in the morning.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying there. You don't want the back of the boat unsupported. If the transom is not on the bunks you could be asking for trouble. Once you get a few pics up we can say better.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Yeah I have seen where many people take out the main center beam of the trailer and put in a new fresh, longer piece.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Just thought I'd update in case anyone finds themselves here. The Long Trailer is 520lbs. It has a 3500lb. axle on it.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer
I know this is a very old thread, but I am looking at a used boat on a Long trailer and I just want to get it home in one piece and wondered if anyone knows what bearings this trailer uses or where I may find out, considering that the company doesn't exist anymore? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.