Changing tire size

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I have a jet ski trailer that use a 4.80 x 12 range B that failed on me due to a leak in the valve. Well my question is that can I replace the tire with 5.30 x 12 range c tire without changing any thing else?. The reason I ask is because harbor freight sell them but not the 4.80 x 12.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Changing tire size

Ayuh,..... So long as they clear the fenders,... Sure, go for it....

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi, I have a jet ski trailer that use a 4.80 x 12 range B that failed on me due to a leak in the valve. Well my question is that can I replace the tire with 5.30 x 12 range c tire without changing any thing else?. The reason I ask is because harbor freight sell them but not the 4.80 x 12.

Yes, you can. Recommended rim widths are the same-4.0". Just be aware that the 5.30's are .4" taller , and .3" wider (section width), so check your clearance, both fenders and rails.

Both sizes come in load range B & C, so if your original tires are "B", you'll be OK on that. I'd check with a local dealer first. By the time you pay shipping, you may not save much, and I have no idea what quality tires Harbor Freight sells. Also, iboats has tires.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

As long as they will clear and has room for movment. Bumps and so on and has the same load range it should be fine.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

didn't think about that , here in WV ever one runs one taller than the other less wear going around the mountains