Towing boat and trailer with front drive Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Towing boat and trailer with front drive car

As stated before, the brakes would be a big concern too. I tow a 16' Starcraft aluminum and only half a mile from home last year I had to do all I could to stop when a dog and her puppies ran tight out in front of us with no warning from behind a small building near the road we live on....No way I could stop that quickly even with a C1500 pickup truck....Sorry to say we killed one of the pups, ruined our whole day. Imagine if you had to stop real fast to avoid a crash and couldn't... I towed a small popup camper back in 91' with a Corsica 3.1 but it was a bare bones model weighing 1000 lbs. I managed but made me nervous. Even if you add electric brakes you won't be happy. My suggestion is to get an older truck or suv and use that. Might be surprised what you can get for 1500-3000 bucks. With gas being high they are cheap right now. And with only ten miles one way gas milege wouldn't be a big problem for you either.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

If towing more then your tow rating is what everyone is having a problem with.....
Well around here every 2-3 days in the spring and fall I see a farmer who pushes their pickup way over the tow rating. Towing just about anything that moves and hauling anything that will fit in the bed. So if they can get away with it daily, I think you can get away with it for a few trips 10 miles to the ramp on back roads.
Just the other day I saw a Silverado with a 40ft triple axle flatbed with a tank most of the length of the trailer. The tank was a 3,000 gallon tank 3/4 of the way full. So, close to about 22,000 pounds. This was just a regular Silverado which has about a 9,000 pound towing rating. He was following a sprayer going down the road at about 20mph. (Should have seen the air the front of the truck was getting)

Mamba334

Recruit
Well, what was your outcome? I have a 2013 Impala and BASSPRO SHOP told me that yes I can pull a 12ft Jon Boat with trolling motor. I'm not putting a big ole engine on the back of it. Just a trolling motor. The towing is max 1,000 lbs. The boat is only 190 lbs plus a trailer won't exceed 500, so we're good. A lot of people will tell you not to do it, but heck , I just saw two days ago a little Ford small car pulling a Jon Boat. He let out at the boat ramp and everything just fine.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The original poster no longer visits. Please don't respond to old, inactive threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.