How to make a transom saver

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to make a transom saver

I didn't make it myself, but the one on my boat is a piece of square metal channel with a strip of metal bent into a "Y" screwed into the end of it. The padding is a strip of old tire rubber cut out and bolted into the inside of the Y. Works like a charm.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

While it is certainly possible and not to difficult to make your own unless you have material laying around to make it out of it may just be cheaper to go buy one. They are not to expensive.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Unless you have the materials on hand already, you won't save much by doing it yourself, as mentioned above, they are not too expensive. Shop around.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I see some advertised as low as $30-35.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I paid about $30 for mine. An Atwood model came with an end to slip over a stern roller or a bracket to bolt to the trailers itself and the bolt to do it. Lots of people will argue the need for them but for me $30 is well worth my peace of mind and an expense I'll never bat an eye at.

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I reconditioned my grandfather's old row boat and bought a small outboard for it, I had no clue about the differences between a short- or longshaft O/B. As a consequence, I needed a transom saver. Being too cheap to buy one, I made one myself for less than $10. I measured and cut a section of 1in square tube steel (about 2ft in length), then measured and cut two pieces of 2in angle iron (about 3in wide) for welding onto each end of the square bar. Since one end would be resting up against the roller on the trailer, I left it alone. The other end would be resting against the lower unit, so I wanted to protect it. You can dip this end into liquid rubber, or use some heavy rubber to line it (I cut up a thick inner tube). Paint it any color you want, but black suited me just fine. Never had a single issue with it, and gave it to the fella that bought the boat years later.

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Back in the day when I had a LOT more spare time I welded one up from some old 3/4" steel tubing that was supposed to have been a piece of playground equipment of some sort. It was completely non-adjustable and ugly as homemade sin. I probably spent a whole day fabricating it with a hacksaw, tape measure and a 100 amp AC buzz box welder.

I would not do that again...or if I did it would be made from a treated 2x6 board with a V cut.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Elkins I know exactly where you are comming from. I've made lots of things in my day and fabricated many a tool as well but on something like this I just buy. Maybe I could make one myself for less than the 30 or so dollars it would cost to buy one but when you consider the time I'd spend making it I'm not really saving anything and probably not getting any better of a result than a store bought one. If I could do a way better job or do it for far less money than I'd be all over it but some things just aren't worth the time invested.

JimboJ

Recruit

Get a couple old pogo sticks and cross them with a bungee. The natural pogo action will cushion your motor. Plus afterward it's fun bouncing down the dock with them. :D

banhtrang

Cadet

Do I need to get a transom saver for inboard/outboard type boat?

thanks

chriscraft254

Commander

I have an i/o, I tie a line from stern port cleat to the outdrive wound around the lower unit a couple times then back up to the starboard stern cleat. works like a charm.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Get a couple old pogo sticks and cross them with a bungee. The natural pogo action will cushion your motor. Plus afterward it's fun bouncing down the dock with them. :D

Now you did it, opened the door to discuss what a deflopperizer should do. That will lead to an argument over how they work, if you need them, if they will damage the bunks and winch on your trailer, and ultimately if your third born will grow antlers.

I'll get it started.

Deflopperizers keep the motor from flopping side to side, and tie the trailer frame, hull, and motor together as a unit, so as to minimize harmonic stress on the transom. They are not meant to cushion the motor, as it should not be moving. :D