Quick electric winch question...please....

ritamigo

Seaman
In my area the lakes are low, so sometimes i have to haul in the bought by the hand winch. I am thinking of installing an electric winch. The question is: Do I connect the electric to the existing light plug that feeds the trailer lights or do I need more current/amps than that? If I can tap the trailer lights, how?

Thanks again you guys have been very helpful...

BTW, I took my boat in for a general tuneup and decided to keep it.

thanks again...

JoeVee

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Quick electric winch question...please....

You need to run a separate power cable due to the amperage draw.........otherwise you run the risk of letting the secret smoke out of some of the wires.

ritamigo

Seaman

Are you referring to battery type cables direct from the battery to a plug at the existing trailer light plug? Or is there another way?

Thanks...

JoeVee

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You do not need battery cable size wire. #8 or possibly even #10 will be fine but that depends on how much current the winch draws. That depends on how much power the winch has. Look at the specs for the winch you intend to buy. You also need a circuit breaker at the battery rated a bit higher than the maximum current rating for the winch and the wire size.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Are you referring to battery type cables direct from the battery to a plug at the existing trailer light plug? Or is there another way?

Thanks...

JoeVee

The power source for your winch will NOT, in any way, involve your trailer light wiring...your source will be 12v either from your tow vehicle battery or another battery that you will provide. The size of the power supply cord is determined by the amperage draw of the winch together with the distance to power source (battery). The winch will come with an appropriate size and length to allow you to run the power cord to your tow vehicle battery and you can choose to install the cord permanently or do it manually each time you want to use the winch.

I recently installed a winch and chose to install a "jump box" on the trailer just behind the winch post. It is simply a locker that is bolted to the trailer frame and holds a battery, the emergency crank handle, the power cord and a few tools. I chose this method to allow me to have an operable winch no matter what tow vehicle is chosen. All I have to do is keep a fresh charge on the battery! There is a really good thread here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=540001

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

In addition to coastalrichard's recommendation to the most excellent thread on winches, let me add that you should not try to use any winch except the ones made for boat trailers (such as powerwinch brand). I'm sure people have used others at times, but unless yo are talking about dragging a 14' jon boat across mud, it's too dangerous not to do it right.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

The size of the power supply cord is determined by the amperage draw of the winch together with the distance to power source (battery).

Just to add to that, you also need to consider the ground wire as part of that distance. If you run your ground all the way to the battery, you need to size both wires for a length that is twice as large. (ie, if its 25 feet from winch to battery, you need to size your wire for 50 feet at whatever your winch is rated for.) Obviously a better solution is to keep your ground as short as possible, but do not use the trailer ground. Sand off a spot on the vehicle frame and securely mount your ground wire to that.

jims plan b

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have used a extension cord to run heavy power to the back of my trucks they are cheap and come in what ever gage that you need

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

i have used a extension cord to run heavy power to the back of my trucks they are cheap and come in what ever gage that you need

Most extension cords are 12 gauge, 8 gauge cords are usually used for generators or welders, and cost about $3 to $5 a foot! Anyway, they work fine for 120v AC, but in the DC world, that is extremely undersized... Just as an example, if you have a 25ft 12 gauge heavy duty extension cord, you will drop the voltage to below 10 volts with only 15 amps of draw. It goes quickly downhill after that, 30 amps gets you around 6 volts. (many winches will easily draw 30+ amps)

Don't confuse AC current for DC, they are vastly different and require far different cabling. A cable meant for one type is a very poor choice for the other.

http://www.calculator.net/voltage-d...ance=50&distanceunit=feet&amperes=15&x=50&y=8

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

You are certainly running a risk using inferior cabling. While it may work for a wile you run the risk of damaging the winch or worse starting a fire. Best bet is to do it once and do it right.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

here we go again. Buy a winch made for boat trailers. use the cord it comes with. done.