Sealed Oil Trailer Bearings and surge brakes

Inside Trader

Recruit
Just bought a Double Eagle 185 with a single axle trailer. Bearings appear sealed with an oil float in them. Is there any maintenance I can do here. What do I need to know?

Also any advice on surge brakes? Routine maintenance?

I'm totally new to boating, other than a car topper 12 ft aluminum with a 9.9.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sealed Oil Trailer Bearings and surge brakes

The first thing I would do is replace them. It's not if they will leak, it's when they leak.

Thalasso

Commander

Just bought a Double Eagle 185 with a single axle trailer. Bearings appear sealed with an oil float in them. Is there any maintenance I can do here. What do I need to know?

Also any advice on surge brakes? Routine maintenance?

I'm totally new to boating, other than a car topper 12 ft aluminum with a 9.9.

You don't need to replace them to put something else on that will fail at some point. I had them on a previous trailer and they are great.
Do they have a clear end cap where you can see the oil. That would be the only fail point. They use 90 weight oil ( rear end grease/oil )

Tractor trailers use that same type of setup. You don't hear of them loosing wheel brg's.

cribber

Lieutenant

My EZ-Loader came with the same setup. Note the oil level and make sure it always stays there. Keep an eye on the cap and replace them when they start to crack from sun exposure. I've had mine for four years and so far so good... all bearings fail from a lack of maintenance no matter what the type.

PKomrowski

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Those are fine, just watch them. They like everything elce in life will wear out. Proably what will happen is the inner seal will go bad and let water in, then you will have to redue them. I would keep them though as they are just as easy to work with as the others.