Will this transom saver work?

Mike in Tac

Seaman
I have a 14' Livingston with a 25hp Evinrude outboard. I got an Atwood transom saver today, but the fine print on the package says that power tilt/trim is required to use transom saver. I don't have power tilt and trim. After talking to 4 staff people at the store, no one could tell me why I supposedly need the tilt/trim. Does anyone know? Do you think I can use this transom saver anyway?

Thanks,
MIT

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Will this transom saver work?

My guess would be that with power tilt/trim the hydraulics are taking the weight of the motor. Aka they are limiting their liability. I'd bet you are just fine using it, but I'm rather new to this myself so I'd still seek others advice as well.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The pressure from the hydraulics is used to "lock" the transom saver in place.

In your case, when (not if) the motor bounces up, the saver can flop out and fall.

I'm guessing you have a saver that fits over the roller on the trailer.

One like this :

t_80_02.gif

that attaches to the trailer, is what you need.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Good point roscoe. That's why I suggested the op seek other advice as I am obviously a novice myself. I believe the Atwood transom saver comes with two ends one that is a u shaped bracket that slides over a roller and the other is a small metal bracket that can be bolted to the trailer and secured to the transom saver with a quick disconnect pin. That is what I use on my non power tilt motor. I wasn't thinking of that aspect when I answered before.

Deeppowder

Seaman Apprentice

I also have a 14ft and a 25hrs. What i do is strap the bottom of the motor to the trailer around the transom saver. It stops the motor from bouncing in the transom saver.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

And by the way, if you plan to continue this discussion please use the proper term, motor deflopperizer.

Mike in Tac

Seaman

Thanks for all the tips - I'll install my new motor deflopperizer today!

;-)
MIT

moi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And by the way, if you plan to continue this discussion please use the proper term, motor deflopperizer.

Correct terminology is important......

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Without power trim&tilt, the lower unit needs to be VERY securely held in the "V" of the deflopperizer. Likewise, the other end needs to be securely attached to the trailer frame. There must be zero movement between the motor and deflopperizer and the the deflopperizer and the trailer. If there is any, it defeats the purpose of the device.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

worse, if it flops out of the deflopperizer and the motor hits the street, you have motor damage. So the OP needs to see how much clearance he has with the motor down to assess the risk of using that device, v. trailering on the tilt lock.

the older tilt locks were not very reliable but the newer ones are. Either way you want the motor secure from bouncing UP--and then dislodging either the tilt lock or other device.

Of course, if there is enough clearance, best to trailer with the motor down and avoid the risk, but be careful backing not to hit curbs, etc.

BTW the device does nothing to "save" the transom; it only stabilizes the motor while being towed (as does other methods). A transom in seaworthy condition doesn't need "saving" and a 25 shouldn't hurt a transom anyway. A PTT keeps a motor from bouncing up, and lowering the motor against the device holds it mroe firmly in place.