calkins trailer

nhdukes

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone. I just got a 1988 20' calkins trailer from a friend and i was wondering if anyone knew about the tilting mechanism on it. all the rollers are on like a rack and the whole rack swivels. i have not seen a trailer like this before and was wondering how they are. it seems the weight is all on 4 bolts on each rack. the trailer seems very heavy duty.the rest of the mfg tag is unreadable. i want to put my 1976 mako on it.I cant talk to my friend cause hes in the service. thanks for any info.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: calkins trailer

The old Calkins trailers are decent units. A couple things to look for right away with that older trailer is corrosion that is near going through. The tubing that the frame rails are made from many times hold water and they rust from the inside out.

If it is what I'm picturing in my mind then it is set up with wobble rollers. Which there are a few different designs of trucks being used. Yes they should pivot forward and aft along with from side to side. The axles that the rollers mount on also come in varing widths so you will want to check that the rollers are not inline with any strakes. They should hit on a flat surface of the bottom.

Hope this helps some.