surge brakes

stratos02

Recruit
Need some help! I have a 2002 stratos trailer with surge brakes. When backing uphill the brakes want to lock. It never used to do this but the last several years it has been doing this intermitently. Now it won't back uphill at all. There is no hole that I can find to put in a bolt to lock it out. Any suggestions on what I can do besides taking it to a dealer providing I can get it out of the driveway.

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: surge brakes

If it never used to do it then it means you have a lockout solonoid. Either the connections are corroded or the solonoid is going bad.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Drum or disk brakes? Disk brakes = bad solenoid or wiring. Drum brakes = they may be free backing or may have a lockout solenoid if not free backing. Free backing drums are not suppose to engage very much, but may engage some. If you cannot find a problem and have to take it to a shop, just unscrew the brake line. (Leave a lot more following distance and time to stop) and you should be fine. But don't do anything to make a cop pull you over. (Hard to explain why your brake line is disconnected and bleeding fluid every time you stop to a state trooper)

Some pictures could really help, you might have a lockout and not know it is a lockout. We usually can explain a solution if we know exactly what we are dealing with. (MORE PICTURES PLEASE) A picture is worth more then a thousand words.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

depending on which actuator you have, i have used a block of wood, or a pair of vise grip pliers to hold the actuator back. do you have a solenoid and wire between the actuator and the brake line?

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Surge brakes have solenoids? I always though they were completely hydraulic?
Learn something new everyday.

Thalasso

Commander

Surge brakes have solenoids? I always though they were completely hydraulic?
Learn something knew everyday.

Only the disc brake setup will have the solenoids. Surge (shoe type) are free backing.

Lawnmedic

Seaman

The ones with a backing solenoid will have a 5 pin trailer connector. Check the 5th pin to make sure it is getting power when the tow vehicle is in reverse. Be careful doing this. Many newer vehicles have separate fuses for the trailer wiring. I have seen this problem fixed by replacing a blown fuse.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

The ones with a backing solenoid will have a 5 pin trailer connector. Check the 5th pin to make sure it is getting power when the tow vehicle is in reverse. Be careful doing this. Many newer vehicles have separate fuses for the trailer wiring. I have seen this problem fixed by replacing a blown fuse.

careful with the 5 wire connectors... it never really was a standard, that 5th pin was simply an 'aux' pin that could be hooked up for anything. I've seen the 5th hooked up for electronic brakes, as well as constant 12+.

UncleWillie

Captain

The fifth wire is connected to the Reverse Lights in the Tow Vehicle.
The Solenoid's purpose is to Disable the brakes when you back up.

Have someone shift the Tow Vehicle In and Out of reverse.
You should hear a Click from the actuator when the solenoid energizes.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Only the disc brake setup will have the solenoids. Surge (shoe type) are free backing.

I know the OP has stated he has disk brakes, just so incorrect info isn't left out here, NOT ALL DRUM BRAKES ARE FREE BACKING. Geez, almost everyone thinks they are. There are some drum brakes that are free backing, but most drum brakes will grab enough to feel, but not to lock the tire up.

maproy99

Petty Officer 1st Class

OP, have you checked your ground on the trailer? Bad ground means no lockout and boat trailers have more then their fair share of wiring issues.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

most drum brakes will grab enough to feel, but not to lock the tire up.

Free backing brakes do that, or at least mine do. Cheetah or bruce, no laughing if you read this.:p:facepalm:

Thalasso

Commander

I know the OP has stated he has disk brakes, just so incorrect info isn't left out here, NOT ALL DRUM BRAKES ARE FREE BACKING. Geez, almost everyone thinks they are. There are some drum brakes that are free backing, but most drum brakes will grab enough to feel, but not to lock the tire up.

That is why they are called free backing. They don't appl;y the brakes and can still be turned.