Square vs. rectangle axle

superbenk

Commander
I want to replace the axle & springs on my trailer. Currently I have a 2x3" 3500# axle mounted under 30" slipper springs. I was looking on Champion trailer parts & they have both 2x2" & 2x3" 3500# axles. I'm wondering what the difference is? Since I'm replacing the whole setup, I have the flexibility to get whatever works best so I'm looking for options. I have a 18' closed bow Century 190 that I think weighs around 2000-2300#. Planning on getting a pair of 4-leaf 1850# springs to go with whatever axle I get.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Square vs. rectangle axle

I would think the 2x3 would be more structurally sound. I would only do a 2x2 if you had ground clearance / boat clearance issues.

superbenk

Commander

Won't 2x3 put the boat an inch higher off the ground? That's something I'm concerned about with the tilt trailer that already sits really high. But I'd rather have a strong trailer that gets dunked further than a weak one.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Wall thickness of the axle is what accounts in part for strength so the 2x2 may be thicker steel than the 2x 3 but they both have the same capacity (provided of course you are reading the specs correctly). If this is a straight axle, the trailer would sit only 1/2 inch higher since the spindle would be located in the middle of the axle. Middle on a 3 inch high axles is 1-1/2 inches. Middle on a 2 inch axle is 1 inch. Difference = 1/2 inch. If it is a dropped spindle axle then you don't know what the difference is..

superbenk

Commander

Wall thickness of the axle is what accounts in part for strength so the 2x2 may be thicker steel than the 2x 3 but they both have the same capacity (provided of course you are reading the specs correctly). If this is a straight axle, the trailer would sit only 1/2 inch higher since the spindle would be located in the middle of the axle. Middle on a 3 inch high axles is 1-1/2 inches. Middle on a 2 inch axle is 1 inch. Difference = 1/2 inch. If it is a dropped spindle axle then you don't know what the difference is..

You're right. Thanks. It is a straight axle.

Is there any difference or benefit to putting the axle below the springs vs. above? With the 2x2 axle I might get enough clearance to put the axle above the springs which would drop the trailer height down a couple inches making it easier to launch.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

If your going to the trouble to replace it make sure it has dexter or EZ lub hubs and axles.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you switch from underspring to overspring you want to ensure you have adequate axle travel before it bottoms out on the frame etc.. This can place a large impact on an axle that in some worst case scenarios overloads it resuling in damaged axle(s).