Do Surge Brakes Do The Job?

tybouff

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,

I will be towing my 18' 1990 bayliner cobra with a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. I think I am going to follow everyone's advice and get trailer brakes to help me stop in case of emergencies. I do not have the money for electric brakes and I found a pair of good used surge brakes for $50. I am just wondering if they are worth putting on the trailer... will they do the job? I am assuming you have to disconnect the brakes somehow in order to back the boat into the water. Isn't that the time when trailer brakes are needed or is that overrated? I am hoping that the surges will work for a couple of years before I am ready to invest in electric. Thanks for any input!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Do Surge Brakes Do The Job?

are you going to trust a pair of used brakes for $50? That is too cheap for a complete kit, keep in mind you need hoses as well as the tongue coupler. Unless the guy is more or less giving it to you, $50 probably means its complete junk.

superbenk

Commander

Surge brakes work just fine but as the previous poster said, this deal sounds fishy. You can get an electric solenoid to release the brakes when you shift into reverse (when the reverse lights come on).

A full Kodiak disc surge kit with hubs, calipers, coupler, solenoid & lines ran me about $650.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I put in a new surge brake system on my old 94 Load Rite back in 2004 and the parts cost was about 400, that was the actuator, the lines, a pair of 10" backing plates and drums. You need to have brake flanges on the axles to install brakes. Did you check to see if they are there? I had to replace my axle too because the old one didn't have brake flanges and the price for Champion trailers to build me an axle was good enough that I went that way and got a heavier rated axle.
I would not tow that boat with a Cherokee (11" front disc, rear drum) brakes unless you have good trailer brakes. It is not just a question of emergency stopping, it is going to take you from 2-3 times as long to stop as it would if you had brakes. Emergency stops, well I'm telling you, it will NOT stop it. An emergency stop will be an accident waiting to happen.
I have a 98 Grand Cherokee with 4 wheel disc (11") and when my trailer did not have brakes towing the boat was dangerous in my opinion. My boat probably weighs more than yours being longer but still my experience tells me that any of the old school Jeeps need good brakes on the trailer to be safe. My 07 Grand Cherokee has much better brakes and you don't even feel the boat back there.

A good surge brake system is simple and can work very well. Electrics provide more control but no one uses them here because we are in salt water. In fresh water I hear that they can work well and they might be a bit easier to install because you don't need an acutuator, but you must have a brake controller in the cab of the Jeep and a 7 way wiring system.

tybouff

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys for your input. I should clarify that the surge brake package for $50 only includes the rotors, calipers, and pads. I will have to buy the hoses separately as well as the tongue actuator thingy... I did not know about the solenoid. I appreciate everyone's point of view and am going to do some "like new" pricing today. Thanks again!

tpenfield

Staff member

I'm a big fan of surge brakes, even at some of the higher weight ranges. mostly because of the simplicity. You will find surge brakes up to the 7,000 lb range, maybe 8,000 lbs.

Your rig will be fine with surge brakes . . . as the others said, don't try to save too much money on the system.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I've also used surge brakes on a couple of boat/trailer combinations- a 21' outboard and a 24' I/O express cruiser. They work fine.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Sounds like you have some misconceptions of how surge brakes work. First, there's nothing to disconnect. There is a master cylinder in the coupler that pushes fluid back to the wheels when the coupler slides to actuate it. This only happens when you stop forward progress. When you're backing up you either have a free backing system or you have some type of lockout to prevent the brakes from engaging in reverse. So, you won't get any auxiliary braking at all when you're backing down the ramp. As to your original question; surge brakes are very simple and effective. There are many who prefer electric for various reasons, but a surge system will serve you well if that's the kind of system you choose. I'll echo everyone else and recommend you forget about the used components and start from scratch with new stuff. There are just too many potential headaches when it comes to brakes, and you don't want to compromise your safety and sanity over 150 bucks.

Thalasso

Commander

I'm a big fan of surge brakes, even at some of the higher weight ranges. mostly because of the simplicity. You will find surge brakes up to the 7,000 lb range, maybe 8,000 lbs.

Your rig will be fine with surge brakes . . . as the others said, don't try to save too much money on the system.

Mine is surge on a trailer rated for 14500 lbs

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

For me and my set up, surge brakes are the only way to go. Simple and effective. Just make sure that you get good quality components and that they are installed properly and tested. You will see a world of difference in stopping ability with yor vehicle.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

As pointed out time and time again, surge brakes are popular on boat trailers because not all tow vehicles have a brake controller for electrics. Travel trailers on the other hand are almost always electric. Either will do the job.

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

To answer the question
Surge brakes work very well if used properly
When using them you need to allow the trailer to do the stopping
When you need to stop plan ahead apply enough braking to allow the trailer to catch up with the truck
then let of the brake and you will feel the trailer helping you to stop

but if you have had surge brakes before you will know this

Harry

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Yes. There is a slight delay as you have to start the tow vehicle to stopping to put pressure on the trailer tongue which will activate the braking mechanism. Really the only pressure you feel on the tow vehicle is the amount of pressure required to "press the brake foot pedal" if you will!

Mark

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've made three emergency stops with my Sportcraft 252 on a trailer with surge brakes. The brakes worked like they are supposed to and the truck/trailer stayed straight and true. I stopped short all three times and, thankfully, missed all three deer. On the second one it was so close that I could not see the animal over the hood of my truck.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

As pointed out time and time again, surge brakes are popular on boat trailers because not all tow vehicles have a brake controller for electrics. Travel trailers on the other hand are almost always electric. Either will do the job.

That isn't the only reason... Electric brakes don't necessarily agree with being dunked underwater on a regular basis. Yes, there are a handful of people that run them, but in general they have more potential issues. Travel trailers generally have a tongue design that won't work well with surge brakes, or they have an equalizer hitch.