Thinking about installing an ez loader swing tongue kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
The EZloader that came under my new Islander 221 doesn't have a swing tongue.
The kit is around $500 in Canada and I was thinking about installing one to lessen the length.
Has anyone heard of any issues regarding the swing tongue EZloader kit? I remember year ago there was some kind of recall for washers but I can't exactly remember if it was a real safety issue.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Thinking about installing an ez loader swing tongue kit

If it is like the factory installed ez loader folding tongue... they work great. My buddy has one and its a good solid unit. No issues. That being said... there are many other cheaper options.

Post #27 & 35 pics of what i installed on my trailer... $59 and some time. Plus paint, etc... but i think it looks factory.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=515167&page=2&highlight=folding+tongue

Here's an easier... more for the weekend DIY'r. It's a bolt on job
http://www.iboats.com/Fulton-Fold-A...2654876--session_id.537928130--view_id.275504

Post a pic of your tongue and people will get you a number of different options. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did you come up with anything yet??

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

The hard ware that EZ loader uses iis made by Fulton
You can buy it dirrect from fulton
There web sight has instructions
Looks like the hardest part is making a straight cut on the frame

Harry

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here is a link with pictures regarding the installation of the swing away tongue for my trailer, hope its helps.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

Here is a link with pictures regarding the installation of the swing away tongue for my trailer, hope its helps.

That's a great looking installation and a perfect solution where parking space is tight. I have no experience with the swing away tongue, but one of our local fishing sites has several posts from members that have had problems with the bolt or pin shearing. They all recommend pulling the pin and bolt regularly to check for problems and always carry a spare of each on board.

krakatoa

That's a great looking installation and a perfect solution where parking space is tight. I have no experience with the swing away tongue, but one of our local fishing sites has several posts from members that have had problems with the bolt or pin shearing. They all recommend pulling the pin and bolt regularly to check for problems and always carry a spare of each on board.

This one has been installed for 2 1/2 years now, a lot miles on road without problems. Up to day still like the first day.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I contacted ezloader again and the kit is complete with new brake lines and will retain my warranty.
I am just waiting until I finally get my new boat home so I can unwrap her and a look at the trailer to make sure I am getting exactly what I need.
There is no cutting or welding. The kit replaces the entire forward section and includes the swing tongue already set up. Its just a matter of unbolting one and installing the other.

krakatoa

I contacted ezloader again and the kit is complete with new brake lines and will retain my warranty.
I am just waiting until I finally get my new boat home so I can unwrap her and a look at the trailer to make sure I am getting exactly what I need.
There is no cutting or welding. The kit replaces the entire forward section and includes the swing tongue already set up. Its just a matter of unbolting one and installing the other.

Could you provide apicture of the kit you just mentioned here? Model and or part number, would like to seethat one.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Its in my office email and I will do just that next week.
Looks simple to install, but I want to make sure I can do I can do it with the boat on the trailer. But I can always take tools to the lake and I sure I could convince a buddy to take the Islander fishing for the morning:)

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So that's $500? Seems pretty expensive. The folding portion looks exactly like my $59 unit i installed on my trailer...whatever works for ya tho. 2011-09-15_17-04-52_909.jpgtrailer1.jpg2011-10-01_07-36-54_234.jpg

I suppose since you are getting brand new, it would be hard to cut and weld on the trailer. And if you need to have a warranty, then use their provided kit

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

It does seem expensive and I own three welders!
But it includes the brake lines and small parts and it retains the warranty on the new trailer. And it comes painted to match.
I need to do some measuring when I bring it home. The boat may be to tall to fit inside my 8ft garage door.

jmoore7878

Recruit
90stingray...... do you have a make and model or part number for the hinge you used??? That is the exact application I need.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
90stingray...... do you have a make and model or part number for the hinge you used??? That is the exact application I need.

This is a 5 1/2 year old thread and stingray hasn't been here in 6 months.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.