where to mount transom saver???

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I have a 15 ft bayliner capri with 50 hp. On the trailer the last center roller is up underneath the boat and so there is no place to mount or hook up the transom saver to the trailer. The bunks stick out past the transom about 4 inches and that is where the tie downs have a spot to connect to. However, because my motor must be in the up postion when trailering, I want to use a transom saver, but there is no place to mount it to the trailer. What do people do in this case?????

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: where to mount transom saver???

Mount the transom saver on a table at your next yard sale. You don't need it and the fact that it won't work on your rig is a sign from the heavens.

They make crooked ones for the people who insist on having them, but you don't want to go out and spend more money on them.

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mount the transom saver on a table at your next yard sale. You don't need it and the fact that it won't work on your rig is a sign from the heavens.

They make crooked ones for the people who insist on having them, but you don't want to go out and spend more money on them.

ouch!

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well then what would you advise...driving down the road I am afraid my transom is being abused....my motor bounces all over the place.

robert graham

Admiral

well then what would you advise...driving down the road I am afraid my transom is being abused....my motor bounces all over the place.
They do make Transom Savers with a curved bar that can reach under your boat's transom and connect to the trailer frame. Or maybe an extension bar attached or welded to the Transom Saver or to the trailer frame to connect these? There's lots of thoughts and opinions about these, but I personally think they make good sense. Your 50HP motor probably weighs 200 to 225lbs., and it seems good to me to have everything secured back there while trailering the boat. My motor is a 90HP, weighs 268lbs., and I always use the Transom Saver. You can figure a way make it work...good luck!:)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

They are more affectionately called "motor deflopperizers" and they do have a definite purpose as you have experienced. You need to look for a unit that is more adjustable and reaches farther forward. Only by studying your rig can you determine what you need. Posting a picture from the back or a 3/4 angle will help us see what the problem is.

robert graham

Admiral

If all else fails, you can put a section of 2"X4" lumber under your motor and secure with bungees/tie-down straps....I believe they call 'em "Redneck Transom Savers";), but would help better than nothing, to stabilize motor while towing....

cyclops2

Banned

Silvertip is correct on the term flopperizer. The RUBBER isolation mounts are the cause of all the movement & concern.
My 9.9 Evinrude is a no flopper. if I tilt the motor to " shallow drive " angle. All the way down or up is a flopper.

the flopping around is probably yanking the life out of some motors rubber isolation mountings. Not all. See if you can tilt the motor far enough up so the motor weight is balanced better. You might get lucky. The 0 or balance point is when there is not a great tendancy for the motor to flip up or down if let go of with the clamps loosened by about 1/2".

Retighten the clamps when you get the right angle.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

your motor shouldn't be bouncing all over the place unless you are driving off road. Tilt it up, flip the tilt latch, let it down. If you have power tilt, run it down some against the latch. If it still bounces up, tie the motor down against the latch.

Are you sure the motor, and not the whole boat, is bouncing? Usually they bounce together, which means little movement between the motor and the transom it's bolted to. No harm done. The boat generally moves (slightly, hopefully) independently from the trailer. But when you connect the motor to the trailer, the forces from whatever movement are transferred from the motor foot to the trailer strut, working against, to some degree, the motor/transom connection.

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the information. I saw the long angled transom saver made to reach back under the boat, and even that one looks as though it would not reach. I think I will have to make some kind of custom one. What I do know is that I have to do something to stop the motor from moving around. I did put some closet dowl(rod you hang your clothes on) under it with a bungee to hold it. It ended up breaking from the bounce, that is why I want something that will be supported by the trailer.

scott hamilton

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you guys saying that support of a transom saver doesnt protect the transom against the weight of the motor? I had a transom on 70's 16 ft holiday that I trailered without support for a couple years and the transom showed definite stress in the form of seperation from the splashwell. I was always under the impression that this was due to the motor not being supported?

robert graham

Admiral

Thanks for all the information. I saw the long angled transom saver made to reach back under the boat, and even that one looks as though it would not reach. I think I will have to make some kind of custom one. What I do know is that I have to do something to stop the motor from moving around. I did put some closet dowl(rod you hang your clothes on) under it with a bungee to hold it. It ended up breaking from the bounce, that is why I want something that will be supported by the trailer.
A section of treated 4"X4" or 2"X4" would work better...

cyclops2

Banned

Scott

If you let the motor hang straight down . ALL the weight of the motor is on the transom.
If you tilt the motor ALL the the way up, on the transom. ALL the weight of the motor is STILL on the transom.

No matter what angle the motor is at........................All the weight is always on the transom.

Many people do not understand that fact.

Transom savers were never used for 6,000 years by anyone. All boats & motors never had a problem being trailered around the country.

What has suddenly changed ??? That every boat & motor NOW MUST have 1. ??
If you do not install 1, You are some kind of reckless idiot. So say all the transom saver users & all manufacturers of transom savers.

Maybe the transoms are now crap. Maybe the motors have much bigger powerhead weights compared to the lower units. Maybe the boat companies DO NOT make the transoms strong enough to handle 200 hp motors. Maybe people are putting oversized motors on small boats.

All of the above. ?????

Maybe there is / are too many DIY boat designers with no abilities ?

cyclops2

Banned

I have trailered a 9.9 & a 30 hp motor on the back of a 15" Lowe Aluminum hull for 28 years with ...NO...support. left it all the way up & all the way down. 330 miles on interstates. No cracks. bulges or transom bends. The boat is rated for 30 hp.

I am 1 of 7 people in the O B boat world that is that lucky. Sure I am.

Anyone else as lucky ?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I had seen some kind of brack motor stabilizer that didn't involve the trailer but I can't seem to find it. However, in my search I found this do-hickey http://www.m-ywedge.com Kinda interesting. Here's something else http://www.cabelas.com/outboard-accessories-motor-holder-trailering-stabilizer.shtml

Here's an extra long traditional transom saver http://www.easternmarine.com/angled-outboard-motor-support-bracket-1780250

Oh wait, this was the thing I was originally looking for: http://www.basspro.com/Swivl-Eze-reg-Lock-N-Stow-Motor-Stabilizer-Lock/product/37340/118846

As was probably mentioned, it's not the weight or force of the motor on the transom you're trying to deal with as the forces generated while running are far greater than anything you'll encounter when trailering. It's the flopperizing :p and bouncing which can damage stuff.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

your motor shouldn't be bouncing all over the place unless you are driving off road. Tilt it up, flip the tilt latch, let it down. If you have power tilt, run it down some against the latch. If it still bounces up, tie the motor down against the latch.

Are you sure the motor, and not the whole boat, is bouncing? Usually they bounce together, which means little movement between the motor and the transom it's bolted to. No harm done. The boat generally moves (slightly, hopefully) independently from the trailer. But when you connect the motor to the trailer, the forces from whatever movement are transferred from the motor foot to the trailer strut, working against, to some degree, the motor/transom connection.

If the boat is moving around on the trailer it is definitely not secure enough. Most owners manuals will also tell you that the tilt latch is not intended for trailering -- they are intended for when when docked. A boat that is properly secured, a properly installed transom saver provides the protection it was designed for. The best way to tow a boat is with the engine straight down since the only forces at work in that scenario are vertical. But since most motors would drag on the ground, an alternate support mechanism is needed. Some moreso than others.

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class

can't put the motor in down position or it would hit the ground at times. It is not the weight I am concerned with, it is the bouncing, when I hit a pot hole or speed bump it bounces and that is what will cause damage not the weight. I just would like to stabilize the motor, not eliminate the weight. If I could put it down that would most likely solve the problem.

robert graham

Admiral

can't put the motor in down position or it would hit the ground at times. It is not the weight I am concerned with, it is the bouncing, when I hit a pot hole or speed bump it bounces and that is what will cause damage not the weight. I just would like to stabilize the motor, not eliminate the weight. If I could put it down that would most likely solve the problem.
Either the Transom Saver or the 4"X4" with tie-downs and bungees...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

you CAN use a strap around the lower unit pulling gently down to the trailer to deflop the engine.... me I just trim up and go.... flop on not I don't care.

BTW adjusting the trailer to increase the tongue weight will generally decrease bouncing in the rear.

cyclops2

Banned

I must have a excessively high bunk board trailer. Otherwise I would have a driveway ramp problem to.

Only 1 place in Pulaski, NY caused me to stop & tilt the motor up. On the 9.9 hp !! Real bend the motor back ramp.

Status
Not open for further replies.