Hauling my 27' Montego

montego man

Cadet
I just bought this boat and thought I'd post a pic during a rest stop on the haul home

Attachments

• Boat Haul.jpg
    Boat Haul.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 1

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Hauling my 27" Montego

Wow! Nice addition... What's the weight of that sucker? How did it pull? And welcome to iboats :)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Funny, it looks a lot bigger than 27 inches lol... congrats on the new ride and welcome to Iboats.

UncleWillie

Captain

I agree, Nice Boat! :)

Also, Glad to see that you know how to tow in the proper manner.
Some folks never quite get the hang of it.

TowBoat.jpg

Either the ball was the wrong size, the bearings were shot, ...
Or he just didn't want to pay for three axels on the turnpike.??? :eek:

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to iboats. Looks like a nice set up. I hope your trip went well. There is a lot of people willing to help you here and point out cautions. How far did you have to tow to bring it home? Any problems?

montego man

Cadet

I only had to go about 200 miles, so not really very far. I opted to replace the factory hitch on the Escalade with a 15,000 lb one from Curt Mfg. The original weight on the boat was 6300 lbs. Probably a little heavier with the twin 4's swapped out for twin 8's. My guess was the total weight with trailer was 8000 lbs. The trailer was built specifically for this boat so it's very well balanced. Maybe 200 lbs of tongue weight. It was effortless to tow. My transmission temp guage barely went past were it normally sits. We just stayed around 55 mph

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I'm sorry to tell you this as I fear you may not have any adjustment on your trailer BUT if the tongue weight really is 200 lbs, it is dangerously low. Most folks, myself included, recommend a minimum of 10-15% of the total weight for tongue weight.... You would be at more like 2%... might at least look into it.... You said that the trailer was built for the boat but the swap to V-8's would definitely change the balance. You MIGHT tow for years without trouble but it's the unexpected emergency maneuver that could put you in trouble in a hurry.

Glad to hear that your tow home was without incident..... Hopefully you have much more tongue weight than you think and all is well.... A few minutes on a scale will tell all.

montego man

Cadet

Smokeonthewater, your points are valid and my guess on tongue weight is probably way off. The trailer was built after the v8's were installed. Two questions if you can answer them, what would the weight difference be approx between a merc 3.7 and a merc 5.0? What's the best way to ascertain the actual tongue weight?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Smokeonthewater, your points are valid and my guess on tongue weight is probably way off. The trailer was built after the v8's were installed. Two questions if you can answer them, what would the weight difference be approx between a merc 3.7 and a merc 5.0? What's the best way to ascertain the actual tongue weight?

Honestly I don't know for sure but I would guess 250-300 lb each..... IIRC, my 260's are right close to 1000 lbs from pulleys to prop.

There are a couple of guys here that might know the exact numbers for ya... mebbe they'll post up.