18' aluminum boat; bunk or roller trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: 18' aluminum boat; bunk or roller trailer?

Yah, this is what I do too. I almost always launch solo (bunk trailer) and essentially "float" the boat off. Sometimes give it a little push/yank to get it all the way off.

Tell ya what, the last thing I want to do is have the boat laying on the pavement at the ramp on a busy Saturday afternoon, yikes! Yah, I like keeping it hooked up till she is in the water (or ready to be pushed in anyway).

Just habit for me. Back in, go to the bow, grab the bowline and unhook the winch and push off. Have to grab the bowline as I'm normally solo and there is no dock! Primative huh?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

.......There's this inertia thing that keeps them where they are. Lightweight boats are too light to roll off alone and heavy boats are too heavy to roll off--trailer rollers aren't like ball bearings, and many hardly roll at all!

Winches hold boats in place--40 years of trailering and I've never seen a boat rolled back against the safety chain. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, that's why you use the chain; it is just highly unusual.

40 years of launching and I have never had a boat start rolling after I unhooked it unless I push it. In fact, I always loosen the winch and push the boat backwards about 8" so I have enough slack to unhook the winch snap. They don't keep going. Then I have to push right hard to get it going. Once it gets going, though, it's gone. That bi-polar inertia again.

The self-launching boat is 100% a function of operator error, being the combination of premature disconnect and a back/stop motion. This frequently happens to people in a hurry.......

HC, I fully agree that there is no excuse for letting a boat slide of on the ramp as the winch should be hooked BUT while I've had several boats that just flat out will not slide I have has several that absolutely would roll off if a person were to try to back down a ramp with the winch unhooked and absolutely DID just roll right off the trailer as the winch was let out.... With the carver, for example, if I released the pawl on the winch, it would immediately roll off pulling the winch strap all on its own. "self launching"

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'll defer to your experience with bigger boats than I know about. My biggest is a 21 and I admit it doesn't take much, and if the bow line isn't tied off you will have flaming palms as you run after it!

Unhooking before you are ready to launch makes as much sense as turning off your headlights when you are a mile from home.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What do you mean by composite bunks? I'm going to make my trailer bunks. What do I use?

I just went out and looked at the bunks. I couldn't see any logos. They are just grey looking 2X4s. I'll check the next time I take her out.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The springs are a rust problem also in salt water , but maybe those torsion bar axles could help, but have never used one before or had a friend with one in saltwater. Anyone have any experience with them in salt?

I have a torsion bar trailer. I got it new with the boat about 4 years ago. No problems yet. I use it almost exclusively in salt water. I do hose it down every time I use it.

petewv

Seaman Apprentice

Would there be a problem with pressure treated bunks covered with outdoor carpet ? The boat is fiberglass.

SkidRowBill

Petty Officer 1st Class
To Jasoutside... I am told by old timers that the rollers mess with the rivits in Aluminum boats... especially the older boats... is this youe experience... I need a trailer for my 1400Lbs 74 Starcraft Holiday and have been shopping around... I like the rollers for windy days but I need my boat to last another 20 years or more...???... !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.