Slow leaking Carlisle tire. Would I have to replace the rim & tire or just the tire?

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer
Slow leaking Carlisle tire. Would I have to replace the rim & tire or just the tire?

I have two tires out of two on my trailer that leak air. Both Carlisle and both are old.

The tires themselves are in ok shape but obviously they need to be changed out.

Would this be a rubber tire or rim problem?

Stupid question, I know, but I'd hate to replace both tires just to find there is still a leakage problem due to rims.

I am moving soon so there will be about 500 miles put on these tires within a weeks time. This trailer probably hasn't seen more than 200 miles in the past two decades or longer.

Thanks in advance.

etracer68

Ensign
Re: Slow leaking Carlisle tire. Would I have to replace the rim & tire or just the t

Re: Slow leaking Carlisle tire. Would I have to replace the rim & tire or just the t

One way to tell, take them off and have them checked, but 20+ year old tires may be a bit dry rotted.

Another question, would you trust a 20+ year old provolactic?

robert graham

Admiral

If the tires are old, then now's the time to replace them. If the rims are steel, they may have some rust in the tire bead area and need to be wire-brushed/cleaned by your tire guy. If the rims are otherwise pitted or damaged in the bead area, you can ask your tire guy to sand/polish and apply rubber cement to the beads at mounting...works great for slow rim leaks! Might be a good time to check/grease the traler bearings. Better here and now than out on the interstate highway! Good Luck!

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Common areas for a tire to leak over time is from the bead, the valve stem, and possibly dry rot (which you probably have allot of). Chances of the rim its self leaking are slim, unless you have a really crusty nasty rotten rim.

evaluate what you have... If the rims still appear like they are in good shape, then install new tires and valve stems (make sure the sealing surface of the bead of the rim is clean and rust free). If the rim's look like junk, or you just don't want to bother putting new tires on the old ones, you can replace the whole shooting match (rims with pre-mounted tires) for fairly short money.

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

A simple test will show your problem. It could be your valve stem. Take the tire off and spray it with soapy water and wait for bubbles. Spray the entire tire.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe check at Northern Tools or Tractor Supply or similar, for new wheels/tires all mounted and ready to go...might save you time messing around with dry-rotted tires and corroded rims! If those tires and wheels are 20+ years old, it's about time! Good Luck

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the rims are rusty, chances are it is a rim problem. The tires can be dismounted, the rims cleaned up in the bead area and then remounted. But if you cannot do this yourself you would likely be better off buying new wheels and tires and be done with it. I agree that you can diagnose this problem with a simple spray bottle of window cleaner or a bit of dish soap and warm water in a spray bottle. Spray the bead area of the rim, valve stem, and the entire tire. If these are smaller 8, 10, 12 inch wheels, fill a laundry tub with water and dunk them. Air bubbles will tell you where the leak is.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks everyone. I checked the rims and they look okay. Will get replacement tires soon.

Thanks again.

UncleWillie

Captain

Thanks everyone. I checked the rims and they look okay. Will get replacement tires soon.

Thanks again.

Where was the Leak?
If you checked them and the Rims are OK, that means you found that something else was the cause.

fishrdan

Admiral

What size are the tires?

Walmart, Harbor Freight or your local farm and ranch store probably have the rim/tire combo's less than buying just tires and having them mounted...

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just had to add that I have seen a few brand new or slightly used wheels leak, just a tiny pin hole the mfg missed, most common prob is the valve stem or bead, but they have special goop called bead sealer just for that :)

Eazzy

Seaman

How about a couple of tubes,on the other hand they might cost more than a couple of tires at wally world.

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How about a couple of tubes,on the other hand they might cost more than a couple of tires at wally world.

tubes would be about $15 ea but not worth it, if you get a nail or something in the tire, nothing you can do on the road, fix a flat/slime/brown sticky things won't do a thing, and then you take it in to get fixed they have to fix the tire AND the tube might cost u more