Older Powerwinch testing

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently bought a trailer.It has an older Powerwinch 912 on it.Before I buy a wiring harness can it be tested to see if it works.I was thinking of running two plain wires from battery to the 2 post to see if it will run.Any thoughts? Is there a pos and neg on the posts?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: Older Powerwinch testing

Not familiar with that item but in general with a DC motor there should be a + and a - terminal and by reversing polarity you also reverse direction of rotation.

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will I blow the motor by switching polarity just for testing?
Not familiar with that item but in general with a DC motor there should be a + and a - terminal and by reversing polarity you also reverse direction of rotation.

halfmoa

Ensign

No, switching the polarity in a DC motor just makes it run backwards.

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class

just spoke with powerwich(should have done that first)They said the motors only meant to run one way and by switching polarity I could blow the bearing.Going out to pull it apart.If it runs It will be a nice bonus!
No, switching the polarity in a DC motor just makes it run backwards.

halfmoa

Ensign

Well therein lies the danger of listening to some random guy like me who doesn't know the specifics of your project....:rolleyes:

I'm glad I wasn't responsible for damaging your winch!

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class

SHE RUNS!! Talk about a bonus! Freeee! Harness time.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

just spoke with powerwich(should have done that first)They said the motors only meant to run one way and by switching polarity I could blow the bearing.Going out to pull it apart.If it runs It will be a nice bonus!

I wont argue with the manf. though in industrial applications DC motors are routinely run direct drive or thru gearboxes using electial frequency drives or PLC's and many times can be electrically switched to change direction. The motor itself along with the bearings inside it do not care which direction they are rotating. So I would guess there is something in the drive to the winch spool that could be damaged by running it backwards.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

That's great! Put it to good use.

halfmoa

Ensign

I wont argue with the manf. though in industrial applications DC motors are routinely run direct drive or thru gearboxes using electial frequency drives or PLC's and many times can be electrically switched to change direction. The motor itself along with the bearings inside it do not care which direction they are rotating. So I would guess there is something in the drive to the winch spool that could be damaged by running it backwards.

That's what I was thinking too. Maybe an overspool brake to keep it from bunching up like a baitcaster reel the first time I used it?:facepalm:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I've used power winches for years. Their instructions are particular about polarity, and they free-spool in reverse just fine with the clutch loose. Many have a winding mechanism to keep the cable from binding.

On old ones, the clutch can go bad, so you may need to replace the parts. The wiring (and everything else about them) is expensive when bought new, and specific as to fittings.

I recommend you invest in a hand crank to save you when the winch decides not to work one day. Also be sure your wiring is fused correctly.

I think the winches are the best way to go, especially in salt water where you want to keep your axles dry. There is also a way to rig them to winch a boat off the trailer.

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SOme electric winch companys will tell you, you'll be struck by lightning if you reverse polarity, and their not far off the mark. The concern is when you reverse polarity it wont hurt the motor, but if the unit is grounded to your trailer that IS negatively grounded --ouch !! Many electric winches are not internally isolated so polarity is important if running from the same battery as your vehicle.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have a 612 power winch and there's only one way and that is to load only. If you want to back it up uncrew the wheel and release the pressure on the cluch and then use the hand crank. Stand clear of the hand crank when using it .Don't be surprised if it is a little noisy. Mine sounds like it's coming apart, but it's not.. Mine will pull anything you are trying to pull. .

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Mine are loud and sound awful, too. But I have dragged a boat across mud and then up onto a trailer at low tide with it.

I don't keep the handle on but one of our club trailers has the handle on (rusted on probably) and it is something to watch out for.