Greasing trailer bearings doesn't work...thinking about bearing buddies

diehardmason

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1996 Ranger Trail trailer for my Ranger R70. I have owned the boat for about 6 months and am trying to grease the bearings. There are instructions, but, that has not been a success @ all. I have removed the cap and did not find a grease zerk. I tried a needle fitting in the center of th hub, but, that didn't work either. Would anyone know if there is a trick to this? I don't think it has been modified to remove anything. My next step is to buy a set of bearing buddies and forget about it. I have already missed a trip trying to figuree it out and won't continue removing the tire over and over. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Greasing trailer bearings doesn't work...thinking about bearing buddies

How often are you trying to grease the bearings?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Bearings need to be removed to inspect/replace, then repack them.

This still needs to be done with bearing buddies.

Bearing buddies only keep the open hub area filled with grease to prevent water intrusion.

Watch this "how to" video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsCH1d6R7J0&feature=related

diehardmason

Seaman Apprentice

The bearings were packed a year ago. I am simply trying to greasing what seems Ranger had built into the spindle as a bearing buddy type system. I am trying to service every year as it states on the trailer sticker instruction. Trying to be pro active to prevent problems.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Pictures would help being as thier several ways and types.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Braring buddiies are great. Fit them and get it over with.

diehardmason

Seaman Apprentice

I removed the grease to give a good pic. If bearing buddies will do then that's the route I will go. I was trying to use the equipment as it stated on the trailer.
spindle pic.JPGEZ lube hub sticker.jpg

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Agree with Roscoe- the bearings and races should be inspected yearly.
......I am simply trying to greasing what seems Ranger had built into the spindle as a bearing buddy type system.....
EDIT:
From your pic, you have E-Z lube hubs. Google it for info!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Ranger Trail flaunt their E-Z lube hubs. These hubs move grease to the inside of the hub and then it works it's way back out toward you, rather than the converse. There are zerks somewhere and you grease till the grease comes out at you. Center of the hub/axle is the first place to start looking.

No way do BB's do what these hubs do, but BB's are 10x superior to nothing at all. I am/have run all 3.....nothing/BB/EZ. 50+ yrs of boating fresh and salt environments.

Your boating habits and axle lube type dictates what your repacking requirements are.

I have an E-Z lube axle on my current boat trailer that I bought in 2004. I have greased it once and that was not a dismantle, clean, reassemble, and grease operation. The bearings are in perfect condition and totally noiseless when on a jack and the wheel is spun. I use the blue/black boat trailer WB grease and my grease is the same color as is in the container....with a slightly darker tint.....no water related yellowing.

I DO boat in fresh water.....course that is irrelevant if the seals are working properly, the hub knows now what the environment is.

Mark

UncleWillie

Captain

EZ Lube Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zocwYh8mZoo

The Lighting may be odd but I do not see the Zerk at the middle of the Axel.
It may be missing or snapped off.
Do both sides look the same?

The grease will flow all the way to between the Rear Bearing and the Grease Seal.
As you pump, the new grease will pass through the rear bearing, around the spindle, through the outer bearing, and out of the hub.
All the old grease will flow out the outer bearing, around the Zerk where you are pumping.
Be prepared to catch it!

Keep pumping until you see clean new grease. This is NOT going to be a 4 pumps and you?re done job!
When you are done, there should be no air in the hub for the heat to expand and contract to pump in water.
Bearing Buddies would be redundant on an EZ Lube axel.

Also, that grease looks "Suspect", I would not roll very far or fast until you sort this out.

Tacky

Recruit

If they were greased last year, I would pull the caps, and if there is no sign of moisture, rust, and no milky appearance to the grease, which would come from water mixed in the grease, I would put on bearing buddys, squirt a little grease in to compress the springs, and run it. I bet about 1 boat in a thousand gets the bearings packed every year.

UncleWillie

Captain

If they were greased last year, I would pull the caps, and if there is no sign of moisture, rust, and no milky appearance to the grease, which would come from water mixed in the grease, I would put on bearing buddys, squirt a little grease in to compress the springs, and run it. I bet about 1 boat in a thousand gets the bearings packed every year.

Tacky, Look at the Photo. The Grease is Milky, Rusty, and Brown/Orange. :(

This is not the time to "Squirt in a little Grease ... and run it". :eek:

DieHard, You are doing it right, Be Pro Active, Don't become a statistic!

diehardmason

Seaman Apprentice

I was told they were changed by the PO, but, I will definitely change the bearings and repack them while I have the tire off and access to the components. I like to be proactive. Why make the mistake when you can see the mistakes others have made. I will try to figure out the ez lube hubs. If not, I will just order the bearing buddies and check them every few months. I only fish in freshwater, but, want to make sure I don't get left anywhere with something that could have been avoidable. Thanks for your help.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

I have EZ lube hubs on my trailer, and comparing mine to yours, I do not see the Zirk fitting on yours. It may have been knocked off or fell off. You might want to try to purchase a new one and re-thread into the hole in the center of the axle. I would try to repair the system that you have as i feel it is superior to Bearing Buddies.

diehardmason

Seaman Apprentice

I have EZ lube hubs on my trailer, and comparing mine to yours, I do not see the Zirk fitting on yours. It may have been knocked off or fell off. You might want to try to purchase a new one and re-thread into the hole in the center of the axle. I would try to repair the system that you have as i feel it is superior to Bearing Buddies.

I will call Ranger and inquire about another part. Would you happen to have a photo of your hub with the zerk or have an easy way of taking a pic?

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

From your pic you appear to have serious water intrusion. I wouldnt trust those bearings more then a few miles. If it were my trailer, I would be pulling the hub , replacing the inner and outer bearings, both races and inner seal.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

IMHO don't call ranger for a grease zerk, go to your local auto parts store... will cost a few pennies