Trailer Under Water Four Months... Bearings, Axle Concerns? Input ASAP!!

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Guys,

Here is the scoop. I have an opportunity to purchase a Sea Ray 207 boat that was tied to a tree close to a cabin where the area flooded and the boat floated roughly 3 to 4 months with the trailer attached.

**The trailer was under water for 3 to 4 months** The trailer has not been towed at all since the water dropped to normal.

Do you think the bearing / axles are shot?

Am I out-of-line for wanting the seller to pull the trailer a few miles himself to confirm towing ability?

If the bearing were greased with Marine grease should the bearings / axles be fine?

I would have to tow the trailer 260 miles across I-80 and the seller is being jerky about asking him to do a test pull on the bearings before I commit to purchase. He lives 30 to 45 mins away.

Your Thoughts?

Thx

MWG2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trailer Under Water Four Months... Bearings, Axle Concerns? Input ASAP!!

Have a flat bead bring it home. I wouldn't trust the bearings further than i can throw them.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

With 3-4 months under water there's a fair chance that there will be problems. Flood damaged vehicles are especially prone to electrical problems. I'd be suspicious of the brakes and bearings as well. A tow of a couple miles might be OK but I'd be very leery of pulling that 260 mile miles down the interstate. If the seller is being a jerk about a reasonable request, you might consider what that will mean as to the rest of the transaction or if any problems show up. Boating season is done and you have several months to find a closer boat with a reasonable seller and a good trailer.

robert graham

Admiral

A lot would depend on freshwater or saltwater....In any event, you need to jack it up and pull the wheels and hubs off to see what you got....maybe if the bearings were totally full of waterproof marine grease and you get real lucky everything is O.K.....you gotta check them, rather than get stuck out on the highway with a bad bearings!....

MWG2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"He lives 30 to 45 mins away." I saw this and thought that was as far as you had to go, being 260 miles that would be more expansive. Stuck breaks, bad lights, and rusty bearings. The trailer would need the axle "s" taken apart and everithang checked.

bassman284

Commander

I would say it depends if you're getting this boat cheap enough to justify doing EVERYTHING suggested above. Definitely don't pull it out of the yard without packing bearings at minimum.

Thalasso

Commander

"He lives 30 to 45 mins away." I saw this and thought that was as far as you had to go, being 260 miles that would be more expansive. Stuck breaks, bad lights, and rusty bearings. The trailer would need the axle "s" taken apart and everithang checked.

Brg's will probably be okay. Brake shoes/pads will be junk. Spindles should be okay .Wheel cyl's will be junk.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

if you aren't getting it cheap enough to justify hauling it on a flat bed then don't buy it.... the trailer MIGHT be gtg with a bearing repack or it might not but consider it a total loss when buying...... if the seller says no then yep you are out of line pushing further.... you would obviously be buying it as is where is.... offer accordingly

Also consider that if the boat set in flood water for 4 months, it may have damage as well..... tied to a tree unattended and safely tied to a dock are two different situations.... are you SURE the boat was floating? No water in the engine or fuel tank?

Obviously you aren't getting to take it on a sea trial so I'd make an offer based on the boat and trailer both needing major repair (about 10% of normal value) and hope for the best.

For any items I could verify were in good shape I would consider upping the offer if I had too.

You are dealing with a lazy seller who couldn't even be bothered to pull his boat out of a flood so also expect to find other things that he couldn't be bothered to do such as winterization..

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just put new bearings & grease in it before you tow - I would rather do it in his driveway than on the side of I80 - Heck - You can get a complete trailer light kit at tractor supply for under $30.00 with all the wire. Is it a single or tandem axle? Is there going to be a boat on the trailer? The brakes are probably toast but I would just do the bearings & lights, Get it home and do the brake job.

LK

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I'm sorry and I don't want to offend anyone but this is kind of a dumb question. The fact that you're even asking it gives you your answer. When in doubt, check it out, it's not just your life you might be endangering.

cribber

Lieutenant

That trailer is a write-off if it sat for four months under water. You've got to ask yourself if the PO let it float tied to a tree on the trailer what does the rest of the boat look like? I'd suspect he/she took care of the boat as much as they took care of the trailer... which they didn't.

bigdee

Commander

Have you seen the trailer and boat?? I would do that first and use the potential flood damage to leverage a good deal. I don't see how being submerged in fresh water for 3 months could cause any major problems....you will have to pull the dust caps and check for water,if you find any it is not a big deal to pull the hub off and repack. If you see any sign of rust on the bearings you will have to replace them. The axle can tolerate some rust so no concern there. The lights will need to be replaced and if it has electric brakes they will need to be cleaned up. As for the boat pull the dipstick and check for water by letting it drip on your cars exhaust manifold. I would check the hull for damage and check the upholstery for mold or musty smell. This could be a chance for a bargain if you play it right.....if not walk away. Metal underwater is slow to rust because the water entrapment helps to prevent oxidation. You can wait till you get home to deal with the brakes,just be careful. Might be best to avoid the interstate fif possible. Good luck.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Anyone that purchases a used boat/trailer should grease and replace all axle bearings--and the bearing races--the very first thing. If you live very far away, find a local boat or trailer dealer to do the job. I've been stranded more than once because of my mistakes pulling trailers.

JMW129 didn't say if this trailer had brakes, and a 20' boat may not have them. As long as I knew the bearings were okay, I wouldn't hesitate to pull such a boat home without brakes as long as the tow vehicle was adequate. (I pull with a 3/4 ton diesel.) Then, you can regroup.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

you can buy trailer bearing kits for about 25 bucks to do both wheels and it only takes an hour...for peace of mind, it is money well spent. I am a firm believer if you don't know what kind of maintenance the trailer received over the years...something as cheap and easy as bearings should be replaced.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey guys,

Thank you for all your comments. I have seen the boat, not in bad shape BUT is dirty. Seller has not cleaned the outside of the boat or the interior. The trailer isn't in bad shape but nothing to brag about either.

Seller told me the boat has been winterized since 2007. The hull up close isn't stress cracked, gashed or stratched up. The interior like I said is very dirty and will need to be treated for mold & mildew.

The agreed upon price was $625 for this boat BUT.....

If the trailer doesen't make it back to my home after a 4 hr drive is it worth it?

The boat is roomy, has a 350 Merc BUT I can't swap out the trailer for another because the cabin area land wise is chewed up because of the flood.

I was hoping to aquire a really cool Sea Ray 207 and I didn't mention it's an 1983 so given the year, the condition of the trailer, the weight of the boat 3,170lb's, and the drive of 260 miles...

It's probably best that I not make the drive and aquire this boat. My girlfriend like's the size of the boat and the fact it's probably a smooth riding bow rider, she did say the trailer concerns her & I felt the same so that's why I wanted a 2nd opion from everyone about this trailer.

The last thing I need is someone dying on the interstate because of my new boat trailer (crappy) locking up, wheel falling off, etc causing a huge crash either ***-end or other lane and killing someone.

Boats are fun but having it at the cost of another persons safey or life, liability $$ wise, etc.. just isn't worth it.

I can't even imagine the hellish experience of having to deal with a locked-up or badly non-functioning trailer going 70mph to 75mph down the road....

This is literally short notice request for replies & well appreciated. I had to confirm with the seller my decision tomorrow and will back out. I hate backing out as I'm a man of my word but it's for the best in this scenario. Now if all of you were close I would invite everyone over for some grillin & drinks..

Just another Midwest guy.. BTW the midwest is a great place to live for you east & west coast friends!

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Man up & put bearings in it before you tow. If it's what you want put a little effort into it.

LK

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

for $625--you know you are buynig a project that is going to take 4x that to get on the water. So include in your budget either a new trailer or a flat bed to get the whole thing home, or keep shopping. That purchase price is just a down payment.

If there is a garage within 5 non-highway miles, I might drive it there and leave it with the mechanic to fix. Maybe he can check out the motor, too, before you haul it 5 hours away to find out it's not worth saving. do you really want to spend all day under that trailer, just so you can drive 5 hours with it?

And stay under 55.

YZ165

Seaman

....you will have to pull the dust caps and check for water,if you find any it is not a big deal to pull the hub off and repack. If you see any sign of rust on the bearings you will have to replace them.

This is my opinion as well, but, I'm a mechanic, and not everybody else is. Popping the dust caps off is no big deal, but if you don't know that, chances are, a bearing re-pack might be a little beyond the OP's ability/desire. Not to mention brakes of any kind. Wish I lived closer, I'd be happy to stop by and pop a dust cap off.....least I could do for a fellow iboater!

bigdee

Commander

Hey guys,

Thank you for all your comments. I have seen the boat, not in bad shape BUT is dirty. Seller has not cleaned the outside of the boat or the interior. The trailer isn't in bad shape but nothing to brag about either.

Seller told me the boat has been winterized since 2007. The hull up close isn't stress cracked, gashed or stratched up. The interior like I said is very dirty and will need to be treated for mold & mildew.

The agreed upon price was $625 for this boat BUT.....

If the trailer doesen't make it back to my home after a 4 hr drive is it worth it?

The boat is roomy, has a 350 Merc BUT I can't swap out the trailer for another because the cabin area land wise is chewed up because of the flood.

I was hoping to aquire a really cool Sea Ray 207 and I didn't mention it's an 1983 so given the year, the condition of the trailer, the weight of the boat 3,170lb's, and the drive of 260 miles...

It's probably best that I not make the drive and aquire this boat. My girlfriend like's the size of the boat and the fact it's probably a smooth riding bow rider, she did say the trailer concerns her & I felt the same so that's why I wanted a 2nd opion from everyone about this trailer.

The last thing I need is someone dying on the interstate because of my new boat trailer (crappy) locking up, wheel falling off, etc causing a huge crash either ***-end or other lane and killing someone.

Boats are fun but having it at the cost of another persons safey or life, liability $$ wise, etc.. just isn't worth it.

I can't even imagine the hellish experience of having to deal with a locked-up or badly non-functioning trailer going 70mph to 75mph down the road....

This is literally short notice request for replies & well appreciated. I had to confirm with the seller my decision tomorrow and will back out. I hate backing out as I'm a man of my word but it's for the best in this scenario. Now if all of you were close I would invite everyone over for some grillin & drinks..

Just another Midwest guy.. BTW the midwest is a great place to live for you east & west coast friends!

The trailer should be less of a concern than the boat....not much to go wrong on a trailer that can't be fixed fairly easy. $650 is salvage priced. How handy are you? Are you familiar with boats, if not get someone who is to go with you to take a look. If I lived close by this would interest me as a project boat to flip (or part out) for profit.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

trailers are rarely a complete loss, worse case scenario replace an entire axle/hub assembly for 250 bucks. Repacking a bearing is easier than it sounds...spend 10 bucks to get a repacking tool, it saves a ton of time and hand washing. bring a grease gun, socket set, jack, hammer, heavy flat head for popping the races. there are quite a few videos online that can teach you how. Or take it to a garage close by, a bearing replacement is about 30 bucks labor, plus parts