Trailer Bunk Cover Alternatives???

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer Bunk Cover Alternatives???

Sawmill. Ruff cut works fine. You will find a ton of the little portable mills around that will cut you bunks any size you want.

Mine are 5.5" X 10" X 9.5' for under a 100 bucks. Same guy that cuts bunks for the boat trailer guys around here. Got his number from one of the local trailer manufactures (BoatWheels). The bunks came out very smooth for a first cut, just had to wait a couple of weeks to get them.

We have a lot of Amish around also, they have the old style mills, but cut true.
The bigger mills will finish/plane the boards if you like.

Hint: don't call the trailer makers, stop by. Phone calls are a pita for any business. Face to face, eye to eye, works every time.
You may need parts and you will get a ton of Ideas on how to make it easier on your rebuild.
huts

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you have a glass boat........use pressure treated wood....it will last longer than you own the boat.

standard carpet form any big box store will work.....

pine, oak, are wonderful to have......but why?

you are going to wrap a rug over it.....your hull wont know thw difference between pressure treated. oak, cedar, pine hemlock or starboard......just make sure the hull is supported properly.....

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Oops! is right PT is only a problem on bare tin bottoms. I don't even bother with the PT I just use Doug Fir but I don't scrimp on the carpet, I use bunk carpet from West Marine. I just do that but I know now why. I watched a guy try to get his frozen bunks to let go of the bottom of his boat at the ramp last week. Household carpet doesn't drain well but bunk carpet does.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

How about this? Covering the wood with a piece of fire hose?
---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.158047,-77.584396

I have seen that and seems to weather really well. Only question is friction in launching and loading when you don't want any....like when the lakes are low like currently in Texas. I don't know what the friction coefficient for it is as compared to other materials. Just something I would investigate before doing it.

Mark

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have seen that and seems to weather really well. Only question is friction in launching and loading when you don't want any....like when the lakes are low like currently in Texas. I don't know what the friction coefficient for it is as compared to other materials. Just something I would investigate before doing it.

Mark

Or you could us just normal untreated wood as it would dry out rot really inot a problem, and cover with carpet. Or cover the tops of the wood with plastic sheeting then coverwith carpet. Your way over thinking this. The chemicals have changed i the last 10 years due to EPA so many of the old problems are gone, the syinide, and coppe are gone from the treatment.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did this last year...

Got p/t pine, indoor/outdoor carpet (same as bunk cpt), glue, stainless staples, galv lag bolts all in one stop.
From Lowes
Done it before like this p/t has never hurt my gel coat before.
I did double layers on the ends, where it seems to wear first.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

did this last year...

Got p/t pine, indoor/outdoor carpet (same as bunk cpt), glue, stainless staples, galv lag bolts all in one stop.
From lowes
done it before like this p/t has never hurt my gel coat before.
I did double layers on the ends, where it seems to wear first.

^^ that

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I was thinking of wrapping my bunk boards with fiberglass before installing then covering with carpet...I don't know how well it will work, but figure if its good enough to keep your stringers dry. I know it is overkill and will cost more, but with my health, i want everything as maintenance free as possible.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think most over-think replacing bunks, i was caught up in it to. Initially i had all stainless hardware in my basket while at the store. I thought to myself..... If the stock bunks which used cheaper lumber, non stainless staples, regular steel lag bolts... lasted 15 years. Don't know how much more maintenance free you can get. My second set should last even longer, i put back the stainless and opted for galvanized lag bolts and washers.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was thinking of wrapping my bunk boards with fiberglass before installing then covering with carpet...I don't know how well it will work, but figure if its good enough to keep your stringers dry. I know it is overkill and will cost more, but with my health, i want everything as maintenance free as possible.

Unless you glue or them to the trailer they will rot out faster. This will be because water will get in where you put the bolts, and the encapsulated wood will never dry out. That's why boat floors eventually give out in a boat. The "barrier" gets penetrated and the wood gets water logged.

Last edited:

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Unless you glue or them to the trailer they will rot out faster. This will be because water will get in where you put the bolts, and the encapsulated wood will never dry out. That's why boat floors eventually give out in a boat. The "barrier" gets penetrated and the wood gets water logged.

not if you seal them, same way you seal any other thru hull connection on the boat....

rirory

Seaman

In recent years i have learned how to set up carpeted bunks better. Ony wrap the carpet around 3 sides, leave the bottom of bunk board exposed. This does 2 things---allows the wood to dry and the carpet to dry as well. I have owned boats for 35 years and used pressure treated wood for bunk boards and never had a chemical issue.---best of luck---ri rory

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

not if you seal them, same way you seal any other thru hull connection on the boat....

I agree... If you seal them perfectly... but keep in mind you are not submerging your wood parts, deck, stringers etc. in the water. The water flows over them and into the bilge. On bolts or screws into your bunks the sealing will not last long and you will have water intrusion pretty quickly. Wood that is allowed to get wet is ok as long as it can dry out.

If you are that worried about it, a composite product would be better for you.
my.02

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Or you could us just normal untreated wood as it would dry out rot really inot a problem, and cover with carpet. Or cover the tops of the wood with plastic sheeting then coverwith carpet. Your way over thinking this. The chemicals have changed i the last 10 years due to EPA so many of the old problems are gone, the syinide, and coppe are gone from the treatment.

I think you intended this for another poster.

cobalt252

Seaman

Here's what I did:

Trailer #1:

P.T. 2x4 bunks (Lowes/Home Depot). Covered on top side with a 2x3 vinyl downspout cut in half, lenghtwise for a perfect fit and excellent drainage

IMG_0242.jpg IMG_0241.jpg

Trailer #2:

Factory 5"x7" dimensional lumber (pine), angle cut where the bunk contacts the hull, covered in marine grade carpet. Top of the bunk is covered with a vinyl dock bumper strip (Taylor Made Products 46031 Dock Pro 10' P-Shape Marine Vinyl Dock Edge - http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Made-Products-46031-P-Shape/dp/B001Q8KQEU)

IMG_0199.jpg IMG_0196.jpg

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

Mark

I carry a can of silicon lube spray -after I launch and when I get ready to load I spray the carpeted bunks and they are "slicker than snot"--easy to push on & off in low water.I don't like getting my pick up's brakes of rear diff,. wet.fast SS.jpg
Joe

worlando

Recruit
LOVE THIS THANKS! I know old post.

Here's what I did:

Trailer #1:

P.T. 2x4 bunks (Lowes/Home Depot). Covered on top side with a 2x3 vinyl downspout cut in half, lenghtwise for a perfect fit and excellent drainage

View attachment 121635 View attachment 121636

Trailer #2:

Factory 5"x7" dimensional lumber (pine), angle cut where the bunk contacts the hull, covered in marine grade carpet. Top of the bunk is covered with a vinyl dock bumper strip (Taylor Made Products 46031 Dock Pro 10' P-Shape Marine Vinyl Dock Edge - http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Made-Products-46031-P-Shape/dp/B001Q8KQEU)

View attachment 121637 View attachment 121638

Status
Not open for further replies.