Boat trailer couplers

whistler66

Seaman
Do all couplers have the spring the puts tension against the lever. This lever is the one that fits against the underside of the ball, preventing the coupler from coming off. This is on a snap over type coupler commonly used. I bought the boat, trailer second handed and don't know the history however the coupler appeared new at that time! All these post about grease, adjustments etc. got me to looking closer and my rig don't have this spring?

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat trailer couplers

Most do but I have seen some that do not. The lever type couplers do for the most part. However we sold a construction type trailer that had a lever lock that utilized no spring- it simply snugged down on the ball and that was all. The lever locked down once on the ball and no spring meant no play. It all depends on what kind of coupler. A picture in this case would be very useful.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I believe the spring is there to push the lower coupler down when you release the lever, that is, it pushes it open.

Rebuild kits are available, or just get a spring from the hardware store.

whistler66

Seaman

Haven't had any trouble but as I mentioned with all the post about couplers etc it made me look and I noticed? I have also seen the couplers that have screw down type coupler. It had a knob similar to an outside water faucet that you turned until tight. There was a notch along it's bottom edge and a spring loaded lever that engaged it to prevent it from backing off. Just tighten until the last engagement of the notch vs lever and you were good to go. This kept it from backing off, thus to uncouple the trailer you had to press this lever and unscrew the knob. It was on a larger boat-trailer combo. Easy and I don't know why they don't use these more?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

it pushes it open.

And keeps it out of the way when coupling. On grease, I never use grease unless I am using the load equalizer hitch on the larger trailers whereupon I use the moly grease you get at the trailer store.

Mark