Fixing a wobbly Fulton jack

mickms

Cadet
I recently bought a NOS trailer that was passed around from dealer to dealer in a rather un-loving way, one consequence of which was that the trailer jack, a Fulton Magnum 1200# model, came with a lean of almost 20 degrees from vertical.

If you ever try to tow your trailer with the jack down and hit something with it (which I can only speculate is what happened in the dealer's yard) the jack will try to pivot up. In the case of my trailer, it cause the 1/8" steel plate which houses the pivot pin to deform, enlarging the interlock hole. The pin, which is probably a $5 item, and which can be removed in about 2 minutes, was fine, but the piece of permanently welded plate had a hole that was about twice as large as it should be to hold the pin tightly.

I emailed Fulton, thinking it's a 2007 trailer but its still new... maybe they'll replace the part under warranty. No luck. I was told there was no way to replace the part, and that I'd need to buy a new jack.

So I pulled the jack off my trailer thinking I'd got to the marine parts store and find one with the same mounting holes, and then I noticed that the jack plate is constructed to accommodate either a 1/2" pin on one side, or a 3/8" pin on the other side. The 3/8" holes, which had never been used or impacted, were perfectly round. Since my mounting plate had 1/2" holes, and I had a perfectly good 1/2" pin, I simply enlarged the 3/8" hole to 1/2" and moved the pine. Voila, problem solved. Jack now locks tight in vertical position.