• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a hitch be inverted?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a hitch be inverted?

I have a Class 1 hitch with a 2" drop from the receiver height. The trailer I have is about 4" higher than the ball when level, so can I simply invert the hitch to and put the ball on the top to get a 2" rise instead and use it this way to tow?

Re: Can a hitch be inverted?

Just to clarify what you are talking about to make sure i am on the same page. You are talking about the part that goes into the reciever? I know it sounds stupid but i had a friend ask the same question and was actually talking about the trailer not the reciever hitch on the vehicle.

So if that is what you are talking about, the vehicle side then yes you can my father and i have been doing it for many many years and my grandfater was before that, it never failed but we were never towing 20+ foot boats with huge engines either. I believe the largest was a 19 ft i/o 140ish hp motor. It was a full fiberglass boat on a very heavy trailer.
    I truely mean no disrespect or offense if my caps lock is turned on in any of my posts. I can access the website from work and must have caps lock on and get use to seeing it on at work. Please do not think I am yelling for I am not meaning that. I try to remember caps lock is on however I cannot always catch everything. Thank you for understanding.

Comment

Yup. That shouldn't be a problem. You can use the hitch in whatever orientation works for you.
      "Audentes Fortuna Juvat" - "Fortune Favors the Bold"

97 Baja Islander 180. Merc 5.7 and Alpha 1! "Tahoe Dreamin'"

Comment

Level your boat/trailer. Measure from the ground to the bottom of the trailer coupler. Install the the ball mount into the receiver ether way up or down to get the same measurement at the base of the ball plus one inch. If your not in that range you'll need to get a ball mount with a different offset (drop or rise).
        sigpic

Comment

A hitch insert is usually described in both it's "drop" and "rise" dimensions. So of course you can turn it over. But note a 2" drop insert will not be a 2" rise. When you flip it over, you'll understand.

Comment

Your 2" drop when inverted will only be about a 3/4" rise. with mine flipped, towing got so much better as the weight is more balanced.

Comment

Thanks guys... flipped it over, and worked just fine!

Cheers... Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Otis357 View Post
                Thanks guys... flipped it over, and worked just fine!
                Right side up or up side down is ok, just don't try to attach it sideways!
                1992 Four Winns Horizon 200 5.8L OMC Cobra. If you're looking for me on the water, watch for the striped bimini.
                sigpic
                1983 Prindle 16 catamaran
                Old Town Penobscot 16 canoe
                Fanatic F100 Sailboard

Comment

most are designed to be a rise or a drop and due to the normal 2 inch square mount you lose one inch on the rise.

keep in mind the class 1 will only handle 200 lbs tounge and 2000 lbs gross trailer weight. always make sure all components can handle your trailer weight.

Comment

just to be clear how much weight are we talking?
                    my cuddy is 6240 lbs on trailer and i needed a 7 inch raise. i bought a cheap $20 hitch and fliped it for a 6 inch raise 10 miles down the road the dam thing cracked in 2. so i went with a 7 inch raise, solid, class IV, 12,000lbs hitch and a 12,k ball i dont have any problems. wieght wise when you flip the hitch over to make it a raise you accually double the amount of stress on everything.

now if your boat only wieghs 2,000lbs then i dont THINK there will be a problem, but just double cheak.

and no my truck doesn't sit that low the trailer sits that high.
                    repair shops are for the rich and lazy, want something done right? do it yourself.
                    with knowledge grants perfection

Comment

Originally posted by sw33ttooth View Post
                      my cuddy is 6240 lbs on trailer and i needed a 7 inch raise. i bought a cheap $20 hitch and flipped it for a 6 inch raise 10 miles down the road the dam thing cracked in 2. so i went with a 7 inch raise, solid, class IV, 12,000lbs hitch and a 12,k ball i don't have any problems. weight wise when you flip the hitch over to make it a raise you actually double the amount of stress on everything..
                      NOT at all correct.... stress is the same.... the cause of your failure was not the inversion of the ball mount. cheap/defective more than likely.... now the further you lower OR raise the ball, the more leverage is applied
                      Kevin

But, where are the reevets?
                      1981 Wellcraft V-20 CC Fisherman (FREE BOAT)
                      1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28(Build thread here)
                      1992 Hotsports Jet'n'Cat Yam 701 WR3 drivetrain "SS George Washington"
                      90's Yamaha WRIII and a pair of 95 Kawasaki ZXI-900's
                      Fresh clean cheap oil is better then old dirty expensive oil any day
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sw33ttooth View Post
                        my cuddy is 6240 lbs on trailer and i needed a 7 inch raise. i bought a cheap $20 hitch and fliped it for a 6 inch raise 10 miles down the road the dam thing cracked in 2. so i went with a 7 inch raise, solid, class IV, 12,000lbs hitch and a 12,k ball i dont have any problems. wieght wise when you flip the hitch over to make it a raise you accually double the amount of stress on everything.

now if your boat only wieghs 2,000lbs then i dont THINK there will be a problem, but just double cheak.

and no my truck doesn't sit that low the trailer sits that high.
                        How does flipping the hitch change the rise/drop?
                        sigpic

Comment

My boat is about #1540 total weight in tow, and the tounge weight is at #203 as measured by my bathroom scale (with the trailer level)....
                          I know the max tounge weight for a Class 1 is #200, so I need to adjust the trailer to shift the boat back a little to reduce the tounge weight.
                          Will feel better if I can get that weight down to about #170 or #180.

Gun Dog - think about the change in tounge height if we were to take the hitch in the image, and rotate it 180degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Otis357 View Post

Gun Dog - think about the change in tounge height if we were to take the hitch in the image, and rotate it 180degrees.
                            In a single axle trailer, the lower the tongue, the more tongue weight you get. multi axles can behave like this to a point, but with some multiaxles you can't even get the tongue to the ground, the tongue will hover! Essentially once you have the tongue that low, tongue weight went to zero. It would be impossible to tow, but you could have negative tongue weight if you could get a hitch low enough.

Comment

Something like this? We would have to have roof mounted axles.
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X