Tandem Axle Trailer FLOATS!! What can I do to sink it?

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a tandem axle trailer and have been fighting this floating issues for years! When I get to the landing I have to wait for a certain slip, if it's windy or at the beach with a ripping 6-knot current and seas breeze to boot, so that my boat washes up to the landing docks and not into everyone else. That has happened quite often and sometimes it gets ugly.

Any ideas on how to get this trailer to stay on the bottom??

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Tandem Axle Trailer FLOATS!! What can I do to sink it?

So if I am reading this right your trailer has a square tubing frame which is water tight and floats, and you want it to sink???

Am I warm?

OK then, first you cut a good sized hole in the end plates of the tubing to let the water in
(bottom center half moon would be best I think),
you will need a couple of "SMALL" holes 1/2 inch each, on top of frame at the truck end of the trailer to let the air out (you may want to weld a couple of bungs??) around the holes for support due to the medal you took away.

If you launch in salt water once you get home you should fill the tubes up with fresh water to rinse out the salt or that rusting things going to happen fast.

Just my $.02 consult trailer MFG for there take on it.

Philster

Captain

When I get to the landing I have to wait for a certain slip, if it's windy or at the beach with a ripping 6-knot current and seas breeze to boot, so that my boat washes up to the landing docks and not into everyone else. That has happened quite often and sometimes it gets ugly.

I have no idea what this means.

As for the floating trailer.... I guess you could add some non-buoyant stuff to it, such as lead if the other suggestions don't work!

possum2082

Petty Officer 3rd Class

+1 on cutting holes and drilling.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

Probably has an aluminum trailer and the 4 tires are causing it to float because its so light. Your going to have to find a safe way to add some weight to the trailer when you dip it. You could possibly remove the weights afterwards and stow in the truck.

oldjeep

Admiral

Stop backing in so far is the first thing that comes to mind.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

untie your boat from the trailer before you launch

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

So you guys are suggesting that he cut holes in the closed section tubing of a trailer that we don't know if it is painted steel, galvanized, or aluminum. Does anyone else see a problem with this idea??

rbh

Fleet Admiral

So you guys are suggesting that he cut holes in the closed section tubing of a trailer that we don't know if it is painted steel, galvanized, or aluminum. Does anyone else see a problem with this idea??

Nope, should I?????

(As I said Square tubing, air/water tight)

And to the other guy, when was the last time you saw a truck/car/trailer tire on a rim float???

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

That's my point. If it is air/water tight then it should stay that way to keep the water out unless you just want to speed up corrosion.

chriscraft254

Commander

This is to funny, yes it sounds like your backing in way to far. Never heard of a trailer floating. Scene cars float but not trailers. I can't see the air in the tubes being water tight and wouldn't be enough to float the trailer anyway. Is there walk platforms on each side or something, wood?? How big is this trailer, I'm guessing very small, not enough weight to keep tire from floating trailer?

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

I agree, you're probably backing your trailer to far into the water.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

That's my point. If it is air/water tight then it should stay that way to keep the water out unless you just want to speed up corrosion.

I am thinking this is one of those between a rock and a hard place monent or damned if you do, damned if you dont.
If there is enough floatation in the form of air in the tubing, he's going to have to pack around alot??+- of weight to get it to sink (and tires on rims do not float very good, but do not count).
So that leaves the "sink the trailer", or as OOPS said untie your boat from the trailer before you launch ;) :D
And I did say he will have to wash out the frame if it is launched in salt water.

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

HEY,That the crazyess thing i ever heard of ,What kind of trailer do you have ? But maybe it's not the trailer,I agree may be backing to far. IF THAT DOES'NT WORK I would find another ramp or trailer. [ don't forget to put plug in ]

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Could be the fenders hold a bubble. Try drilling a couple of holes in the top of the fenders to let the air out.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

lmsmith

Seaman

I'm a newbie so I don't want to offer any input, but I'd love to see a video or pictures of the trailer floating. It may answer some questions.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

This scenario pops up here several times a year.

Comes down to adding weight to the trailer.
100, 200 ?? pounds of steel or lead. Whatever it takes.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

I When I get to the landing I have to wait for a certain slip, if it's windy or at the beach with a ripping 6-knot current and seas breeze to boot, so that my boat washes up to the landing docks and not into everyone else.

What? Is there text missing here?:confused:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I think he is saying that he has to wait for a lane to open up, one that is up against a dock, or at the end, so that his trailer doesn't wash into other lanes and damage boats.

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know I am new here, But I did see a buddy who loved to over engineer things, back his trailer into the water to retrieve his boat and it floated... but it worked great when he launched...

Problem was that he had a load leveler system (like you would have on a travel trailer) attached between the boat and the vehicle and it actually held the trailer up in the water and kept it from sinking.

When the boat was launched the weight of the boat overpowered the system and trailer was pushed down.

So I am also thinking that Photos of floating trailer and hitch hook up might help...Load levellers, anti-swaybar setup, and who knows what else could contribute to this problem